Mileage Reporting 44th week of 2012

I have been reading this thread for a while, but have not posted since my mileage seems so small, but perhaps this will motivate me to keep increasing my mileage. I did 4 miles on Wednesday in the rain, one 3.5 miles yesterday, getting home just before the rain started. I'll have to work up to running completely bare in the rain, seeing as my feet had a couple worn spots that were peeling. My miles yesterday on dry road weren't too bad though, a little tender tonight at work, but no blisters.
Don't worry about being low mileage. Goodness, we even post NON mileage here.

Will do. I typed in 4 weeks of the cycle into my daily spreadsheet. If I can keep the diet consistent, then I think it has a good chance of producing the results that I want. Thanks again!
Oh oh, another Excel fanatic. Me too. I had it all planned out up to the end of the year until the knee tweak reformatted my plans. I was supposed to get up to an 11-mile LSD and 26 mpw by then.

And yes, stay away from the processed junk, the longer you go without it, the less you'll crave it.

Reactions: Sid

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. :) I've come to realize that until I started running in minimalist shoes last year, I couldn't even run a mile, let alone 4 - and pain free at that! I am happy about where I am now, but I think I'm ready to up my mileage more (once I get used to the rain) and need some motivation. You all are great motivation. :D

Yesterday: rode the spinning bike 65 minutes. Got sick after only 15 minutes in the pool, so had to cut that short. Dear hubby keeps encouraging me that if I keep trying I will be cured of motion sickness sooner or later.

Today, though: ending up not feeling well with something else... Need to stay close to home, but not in the pool. Might try to ride the bike, but mostly feel like sleeping....zzz

Should probably be renamed the Running & Fitness Reporting forum/dairy. For us people who are too lazy to set up our own blogs.

Anyway, did my Top (Shoulder, Lats, Neck, Forearm) ST workout. Taking it real slow with the new neck harness stuff I started incorporating last week, because I've always ignored the neck muscles. But in converting from a young man's 'get strong' strength training orientation to a more middle-aged 'keep things from rotting and falling off' orientation, it seems prudent to work pretty much every conceivable body part/area. Stronger neck muscles may even help me carry the kids on my shoulders well into their high school years. Can't help but think of Jen and Mike when I put the harness on though, oh, and now Ramzev crosses my mind too. Will continue to resist working out in a loin cloth nonetheless.

Anyway-anyway, I'm starting to get into the Run/ST weekly rhythm again. Looking forward to my run tomorrow already. Had a pleasant case of mild TOFP, my old friend, from yesterday's run. A little 'stick' action took care of it right away. Ahhhhh . . . I call it the 'foot flush,' because you can feel the tension in the feet leave instantaneously as you massage the shin muscle's knottinesses out.

My drum teacher always tells me 'if something is not working, slow it down and analyse what's wrong'.....I applied this principle today while running my 10km, as I woke up with hip/knee pain from previous run...that worked very well, as it allowed me to analyse my stride and fix it !! hopefully :cool:....Ran at 5'40"/km pace with no pain

happysongbird, may I offer my sincere condolences on the loss of your daughter. I doubt that this pain is ever far from your heart.

Mileage for this week:
Monday 10/29: Previous Saturday's long run left me with sore feet two days later, so it felt best to take today off from running.
Tues 10/30: 6.04 barefoot miles. Burned a hole in the ball of my left foot. Drat.
Wed 10/31: 32 miles on the spin bike, and 20 min on the krankcycle. More costumed folks at the gym today than at Disneyland. I was not among them
Thurs 11/1: Core work, shoulder and chest free weights, 20 min lap swim. No juice today.
Friday 11/2: 34 indoor spinning miles, 2o min krankcycle. Hard effort, really pushed my legs since I've not run since Tues.
Sat 11/3: 8.18 barefoot miles. Cool morning, and I felt as if I was flying. Saturday runs are usually at around a 10mm pace; today's mile splits were all under 9:30, some under 9, and I wasn't really trying to push the pace. Just felt great, so I went with it. Of course, once my feet were back in the warm indoors, I discovered the hot spot on the ball of my left foot. Must remember to check those feet DURING the run, particularly when it's cold. Still, it was a great run, smiling all the way!

Got to run a couple of hours on the trail with the wife this morning, happy to report I did not, for once, get chicked, wifed or whatever you want to call it.

Yesterday did some squats, tire flips, sled pushes, hops, skips, jumps, stairs and a few miles of speedwork. Wow?

Taking tomorrow off.

Hey guys, I don't normally post here, but I would like to share my success. With my half marathon this morning I had my first 40 plus mile week (roughly 43). About half of those miles were in sandals because of rough conditions, but I am really happy about the total. At this point, I think I have good control of my knee pain and had my fastest half in 2 years (1:41), not barefoot unfortunately, but I was nice to do a race without worrying about every pebble and dealing with the nasty Utah chip seal. I think if I can maintain this mileage, I might be able to have a successful marathon in January. I am even considering a Garmin purchase and a training plan. I credit barefoot running and the BRS forum for my success. Thanks.

Rick W.

Hey guys, I don't normally post here, but I would like to share my success. With my half marathon this morning I had my first 40 plus mile week (roughly 43). About half of those miles were in sandals because of rough conditions, but I am really happy about the total. At this point, I think I have good control of my knee pain and had my fastest half in 2 years (1:41), not barefoot unfortunately, but I was nice to do a race without worrying about every pebble and dealing with the nasty Utah chip seal. I think if I can maintain this mileage, I might be able to have a successful marathon in January. I am even considering a Garmin purchase and a training plan. I credit barefoot running and the BRS forum for my success. Thanks.

Rick W.

No question... Ur gonna have a great marathon in Jan. The seaside and cool running awaits. Keep it up :)

Back to running...6.37 mi in 1:20:37. Normally, I think I would have been about 10 min faster, but there was a section of trail that was gravel which led to walking gingerly whilst saying things like: Oooh! Ouch! Oiy! Gah! Dammit!

So far this is the longest distance I've run BFR (my prior longest distance was 6.2 in August). If nothing else, it's good to know I'll be OK for the Thanksgiving Run...

I also looked over your workout routine, and I'm impressed. You have a nice mix of exercises. Certainly the layout, order, and detail speaks volumes of the your skill in putting together this regimen. Although I'm no expert, it looks like a great workout to me!
Thanks Sid!
Keep in mind that's an idealized routine. I don't always make it through all the exercises nor do I always get to do several sets of each one (although lately I've been doing a pretty good job of getting a full hour in). That's why the heavier, more fundamental exercises are at the top, and the lighter weight, mobility, or 'core' exercises come afterwards; in case I'm tired, or pressed for time, I can make up the latter later or on a run day, without worrying too much about being properly warmed up or having the right frame of mind to do them with proper form (which is crucial for the heavy weights). Also note that I've tried to order the exercises so that those that use the same equipment or floor arrangement are together, so I can go from one exercise to the other with minimal setting-up or monkeying around.

P.S., I'm thinking of adding jumping rope on the 'Bottom' routine. If you or anyone else has done this and has any tips--how to, or what kind of rope to get--I'd appreciate hearing them. I've done it a bit before, but I'm basically a beginner.

Rick W.
Congrats on the new MPW PR Rick! I got a Garmin 205 in June and have been pretty happy with it, if you're looking for recs. It's very easy to use and has all the features I need, but it takes a while to lock onto to the rocketships, which is kind of a drag now that it's getting cold because the feet start to go cold before I'm even running.
Anyway, hope to see you around these parts more often.

P.S., I'm thinking of adding jumping rope on the 'Bottom' routine. If you or anyone else has done this and has any tips--how to, or what kind of rope to get--I'd appreciate hearing them.
I've heard that jumping rope is great exercise. I bought the book and DVD by Buddy Lee. I never got around to using them, because I've been able to meet my needs through other forms of cardio, without having to learn a new one. The book and DVD are highly rated and complementary.

He also sells a premium jump rope that's a bit pricey. I cheaped out and ordered a $10 cable rope instead. (It's number 2 under jump ropes on amazon). I can post the links or msg you, if you'd like.

I've heard that jumping rope is great exercise. I bought the book and DVD by Buddy Lee. I never got around to using them, because I've been able to meet my needs through other forms of cardio, without having to learn a new one. The book and DVD are highly rated and complementary.

He also sells a premium jump rope that's a bit pricey. I cheaped out and ordered a $10 cable rope instead. (It's number 2 under jump ropes on amazon). I can post the links or msg you, if you'd like.
Yah, if you have the link, that'd be great. I'm thinking maybe a few minutes before each ST workout, to warm up a bit, might be a better idea than just doing it as part of my Bottom ST workout once a week. I just ordered this one,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012RLJY6/ref=ox_ya_os_product
because I like the weighted handles and it got good recs, but I'd be willing to buy another. Usually when I'm trying something new it takes a bit of experimenting to find out what works best, and I'm willing to spend another 10-15 bucks to make sure I got the best gear for my needs/skill-level.
Stepping out for my run in a bit, but will be back soon after that if I miss you beforehand.
I probably won't be getting any instructional material, as I'm starting out as an absolute beginner. I did just happen upon this video, and it seems like a good place to start:

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test