Mileage Reporting 3rd Week 2014

Five miles running early Sunday morning, then 6.2 walking, mostly on sidewalks, some on trails, in Corona, CA, then some shuffling later in the day in Hollywood.

Monday, four-mile hike with my uncle, one of my cousins, her 11-year-old daughter, and my daughter. I got the girls to do half of it barefoot. Yippee! My daughter is starting to enjoy and take pride in having an barefootin' father, especially after hearing some of the positive comments from the mountain bikers.

Wednesday morning: Back in Minnesota, one-mile run-commute in my new Sockwas. Thanks again for the rec Laura! They did pretty well on compacted and semi-compacted snow, and the groundfeel is at least as good as the Moc3s, so I may have settled on a new go-to winter shoe. I ran sockless at 4F / -5F WC, and they provide just enough protection from the snow and cold. I'd probably have to put on socks if it got much colder though. The rest of January doesn't look very promising for bfr, so I may be getting a lot of use out of them.

Will try to hit the weights this afternoon. It's been too long.

Attachments

• Skyline Drive Hike 1.jpg
    Skyline Drive Hike 1.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Skyline Drive Hike 2.jpg
    Skyline Drive Hike 2.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 17
I just come back from a 11.2km/7mi run.

My resolution to run early morning was shattered today after an awfully hot night (not much sleep)

So far my PF seems to be put at bay, after correcting my left foot. I can relax my adductors now, which seem to help as well.

I have given up the intervals though, I just go out and run, without any goal

7km on the beach this morning in a more comfortable 20 degrees C (68F or so), followed up with a swim and some bodysurfing in very small waves.

I have a small cut on my right foot and it almost feels like there might be something in there, but I can't find it if I go looking. I'm not 100% sure either way. Dig deeper, or wait a day to see what happens?

I've not run too much these last few days as I've had a "wonderfully productive" cold but I got out for a "group" run tonight, there were 2 of us :D, and it felt great to move again. Still not fully recovered, as my heart rate was high for the pace, but well on the road.

Midway through week 2 of my renewed commitment to running regularly. Did 42km last week (spread over 5 runs). Mostly in VFFs, but did wear my waterproof trainers through the snow/cold that NYC got.

Tonight did a 7.8km loop of prospect park (in VFF) at a somewhat quick (for me) pace, 5:30/km. Tired now but feel good otherwise (save a bit of TOFP on my right foot lingering from Monday's run).

Today was run like a madman day. For most of the past 7 weeks or so, I've done my weekday running in the little township park and its small loop. But now with more light coming back towards the ends of the day, and realizing that the ground wouldn't be frozen or too wet, I decided to run at the nature preserve. And not worry about time or heart rate. Just run like a madman, however the legs, however the heart felt. Charge up that hill? Why yes, as long as I can keep charging. Walk a bit? Okay, let's take break. Run again? And so on and so on.

The Garmin recorded 3.16 miles. It didn't record how much fun it was, how good the ground, grass and mud felt under my feet. Well except for the one really squishy area where my feet got a bit cold, the ground felt awesome. Nor did the Garmin record the puzzled looks on the 3 people taking a walk and seeing this guy come charging up the hill at them, in shorts and no shoes. I just smiled and said, 'Hi.' And ran on by.

Most excellent 8 mile run at 5:00 am. 43 deg... another big moon (cool).
I had a few of those moments were I felt as if I was floating along (visualization of riding in a car or on a horse)(watching the trees and houses going by).
It is kinda weird I try to stay focused on form but still flow.
It may be one of my favorite parts.

mon- rest day
tue- girl worked on my psoas and glutes. she taped me up after yoga. my back has been tight since but she's going to work on me tomorrow again. may take a few times to get me back in line.
wed- little run with shoes. i did it 10 min faster than last week. nice.
th- trail "run"/hike/walk/crawl. it went slow to say the least but i feel great. this lower hr, while hard to stay at, is making me feel better little by little.

so today in palpation class we tested leg length. it's not anything accurate but is a tool. i've known i have an extended left leg. today a girl tells me i have a short right femur. great. the left leg is muscular, which is correctable. short femur. all i could do is heel lift. difficult if you don't wear shoes.

Just run-commutes so far since I've come home. Hopefully I'll get in a longer run this afternoon, maybe even a little barefootin' if I can find a clear patch. I'm really loving my Sockwa G4s. Finally, the perfect minimalist shoe--slip-on, 1.2mm sole, great traction, snug yet comfortable fit. http://www.sockwa.com/products/g4

No weights. During the time I was in California, my sore left shoulder felt progressively better. Now it feels almost completely healed. So I'm wondering when and how I should initiate weight training again. I'm thinking of doing really light weights/high reps for a week and then progressively adding more weight, in the hopes of identifying exactly what's been antagonizing the shoulder area.

I've been doing box jumps and other MINT stuff in my office. On Wednesday I jumped several sets at 24" for the first time. That will probably be my max for the foreseeable future. I love box jumps!

Today was run like a madman day. For most of the past 7 weeks or so, I've done my weekday running in the little township park and its small loop. But now with more light coming back towards the ends of the day, and realizing that the ground wouldn't be frozen or too wet, I decided to run at the nature preserve. And not worry about time or heart rate. Just run like a madman, however the legs, however the heart felt. Charge up that hill? Why yes, as long as I can keep charging. Walk a bit? Okay, let's take break. Run again? And so on and so on.

The Garmin recorded 3.16 miles. It didn't record how much fun it was, how good the ground, grass and mud felt under my feet. Well except for the one really squishy area where my feet got a bit cold, the ground felt awesome. Nor did the Garmin record the puzzled looks on the 3 people taking a walk and seeing this guy come charging up the hill at them, in shorts and no shoes. I just smiled and said, 'Hi.' And ran on by.
That's great Scratch. When I was in California, I kinda ran that way too. I'd lost some running fitness in December, and Corona has a lot of hills, so I would sometimes walk to take a break, and sometimes I would push the pace a bit on the hills for variation. A lot of fun. Unfortunately, it's not often possible to take a walking break barefoot here during the winter, but I think I've finally gotten over my preconceptions that a legitimate run has to be steady pace and continuous. Let's hear it for Fartleks!

That's great Scratch. When I was in California, I kinda ran that way too. I'd lost some running fitness in December, and Corona has a lot of hills, so I would sometimes walk to take a break, and sometimes I would push the pace a bit on the hills for variation. A lot of fun. Unfortunately, it's not often possible to take a walking break barefoot here during the winter, but I think I've finally gotten over my preconceptions that a legitimate run has to be steady pace and continuous. Let's hear it for Fartleks!

With emphasis on the leks or the play of it. It felt really good yesterday to break free of the confines to the township park and run over a mixture of soft ground, some mud, some matted grass areas, a bit of gravel and a stretch of asphalt, to charge up a couple of steep slopes and go windmilling my legs and arms down another steep slope. The muscles in my legs were trembling by the time I was done and I feel a slight bit of soreness this morning from the workout. I suppose I got inspired some by this article about trail running, and the idea of running like that suited my mood and heart yesterday.

And really, the biggest revelation and revolution to my running because of barefoot/minimalist has been about the enjoyment of running and where it can take me. I didn't understand that in the past, I didn't feel it. Now I feel it exquisitely when like yesterday I found myself springing along the side of a hill early on and heading for a turn that would curl around the woods on the left, then later when I splashed down into some cold muck and looked to my right and said head for that hill where it'll be drier. And I didn't worry a single bit about getting shoes muddy. I just ran how I wanted to run and walked for a few breathers when I needed them.

And just like that woman shouted at me on Sunday when I was running in the Icicle 10-Miler, I'm sure I looked awesome and was smiling doing it.

tuesday: sick sick sick. finally went to the dr. ear infection and sinus infection. yuck.
wednesday: antibiotics started to kick in. about 40 minutes light swim.
thursday: 2.5 mi in morning on some snow, midday swim, about 45 min
friday: 2.5 in morning on more snow, midday swim.

ok so I got a cold virus from my kids and it went bacterial in my ears and sinuses, making about 2-3 weeks of feeling yucky, and about 4 days of feeling awfult.
Guess what? The little petri dishes have grown a NEW virus that they have coughed and sneezed into my life. New sore throat this morning tells me I'm getting the next one. They and their rocking immune systems are already about over it after 2 days. Not so for miss sinus-trouble-allergy-issue-prone.
UGH. So tired of this. Thanks for letting me vent. I can't wait until the weather is better and we all separate into the open air.

Reactions: Bare Lee
mon- rest day
tue- girl worked on my psoas and glutes. she taped me up after yoga. my back has been tight since but she's going to work on me tomorrow again. may take a few times to get me back in line.
wed- little run with shoes. i did it 10 min faster than last week. nice.
th- trail "run"/hike/walk/crawl. it went slow to say the least but i feel great. this lower hr, while hard to stay at, is making me feel better little by little.

so today in palpation class we tested leg length. it's not anything accurate but is a tool. i've known i have an extended left leg. today a girl tells me i have a short right femur. great. the left leg is muscular, which is correctable. short femur. all i could do is heel lift. difficult if you don't wear shoes.

I have the exact same problem. We are twins! :) Same leg even. You can attach a heel lift using a tight spandex sock. Also, you can run trails barefoot without a shoelift cuz of the varriable terrain. Did you ask her why it would not be a full lift? I know why! Neener neener!

Wed 3mi sidewalk
Thur stairmaster
Fri stairmaster

Was excited to have worked up to 3mi on the sidewalk, which was previously challenging due to my bunion leading that foot to be underdeveloped causing assymetry. Unfortunately, I stubbed my toe and didn't realize that I had split it open causing a bloody mess, until I got home since it was dark out. So stairmaster for the rest of the week. No pool or spa either.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts