Mileage Reporting 33rd week of 2013

A somewhat disappointing week. 18 miles total; 5.5 barefoot and 12.5 in VFFs. It was going well and I was feeling good and hoping for a couple more runs, but I landed on a rock with my heel--again while running barefoot. I got a high-powered headlight last weekend to avoid this type of thing. It works great, but I let my guard down as I was running in the middle of the road. I expect rocks, etc., at intersections but not in the middle of a paved residential street. Lesson learned.

Most excellent 11 mile run at 5:00am, 70 deg., 69% rh... Heard owl and saw 8 rabbits, 10 squirrels, 3 wild parrots and 1 hawk (maybe hunting the squirrels and rabbits).
long run for this week getting ready for the "Hottest Half" (a 1/2 marathon around white rock lake next weekend).last run of this week. 28 miles total
Feet Good!!
Legs Good!!!
Note: I saw humans this morning one looked down and asked "Are you running barefoot? I thought about some snappy come backs but a simple Yes came out.
Still love running barefoot.

1.75 miles yesterday, trying out some Sockwas - yes, I am the Imelda Marcos of barefoot running. I really liked them, though not as much as not wearing them. I felt a bit stiff beforehand and stopped early - don't think it was the shoes; it has been a difficult week. We were supposed to be at a festival this weekend and on holiday cycling in France next week, but my husband suddenly got a detached retina :cyclops: for no obvious reason - they kept asking him if he had suffered any blows to the head but I didn't hit him, honest - and got rushed in for emergency surgery, so festival and holiday all cancelled. :(:mad: (I don't often post from an actual computer - all these smilies!)

A somewhat disappointing week. 18 miles total; 5.5 barefoot and 12.5 in VFFs. It was going well and I was feeling good and hoping for a couple more runs, but I landed on a rock with my heel--again while running barefoot. I got a high-powered headlight last weekend to avoid this type of thing. It works great, but I let my guard down as I was running in the middle of the road. I expect rocks, etc., at intersections but not in the middle of a paved residential street. Lesson learned.
A headlamp is very useful and I love having a good one around especially while working with your hands. I havent needed to but I've heard for running it helps to have the light down lower, like at your belt line. When the source of light is close to your eyes you cant see any shadows and you loose perception of texture and depth. A light down low would make a stone cast a shadow that you could see easier. So maybe something to think about.

When I ran my half in May I expected to be able to maintain about a 9:30 mm pace. It ended up closer to an 8:45 pace. My calfs were pretty sore from the first day after for a solid 4 days. I went for a couple of easy runs, but I didn't push the mileage at all. Of course, I kept up with the hot baths and massaging.

I guess what I was getting at though was how much faster is that race pace compared to your training pace around 13 miles (plus or minus)? I'm racing a solid minute per mile faster for the whole thing while on a training run I'd start a minute slower and half way through I'd probably be another 30 seconds, and by the end another 30 seconds, so averaged out I'd say my race pace for a half is 1:30mm faster than my regular training runs, and approaching my speed workouts. I'm just making sure I'm not pushing myself too hard during a race - not sure if I should try upping my training to get closer, but I dont want to overtrain either.

Someone else mentioned earlier 1 day recovery for every mile raced... that seems a little long to me (at least I hope so) but maybe to be back 100% thats about right. Just hoping I could get a decent run at the end of a week. For whatever reason I had in my mind a week for a half and 2 weeks for a full. I'm sure everyone is different though, and probably depends greatly on diet.

Well its 6 days out now and I'm going to just work around the house today, and try a run tomorrow. I could tell my calves still sore this morning but feel better than they have been, finally.

2 miles barefoot. Weekly total 2 miles.

Ok, here come the excuses (Dama is still gone, right?) Big mileage week last week and the big one on Saturday left me a little beat up. Sore knees and the root strike to the top of the foot was really hurting, possibly infected. Work got crazy this week. A grasshopper infestation had me scrambling to put spray on the fields (used shoes for that OSHA),regular work, getting the kids back to school, and trip prep, I had little time. But I'm not worried, I am just going to call it an extreme taper for the Hood to Coast. Yes Jen, everything is fine for the race, I'm good to go.

I guess what I was getting at though was how much faster is that race pace compared to your training pace around 13 miles (plus or minus).
My pace was fairly steady for the whole race. I even speeded up the last mile.

Ok, here come the excuses (Dama is still gone, right?) Big mileage week last week and the big one on Saturday left me a little beat up. Sore knees and the root strike to the top of the foot was really hurting, possibly infected. Work got crazy this week. A grasshopper infestation had me scrambling to put spray on the fields (used shoes for that OSHA),regular work, getting the kids back to school, and trip prep, I had little time. But I'm not worried, I am just going to call it an extreme taper for the Hood to Coast. Yes Jen, everything is fine for the race, I'm good to go.
I had to do an pretty "extreme" taper before my triathlon and it went fine. :)

Reactions: rickwhitelaw

There should be not just a "like" button, but a "sympathize" button.
Crazy week with grasshoppers.

I guess what I was getting at though was how much faster is that race pace compared to your training pace around 13 miles (plus or minus)? I'm racing a solid minute per mile faster for the whole thing while on a training run I'd start a minute slower and half way through I'd probably be another 30 seconds, and by the end another 30 seconds, so averaged out I'd say my race pace for a half is 1:30mm faster than my regular training runs, and approaching my speed workouts. I'm just making sure I'm not pushing myself too hard during a race - not sure if I should try upping my training to get closer, but I dont want to overtrain either..

I have no idea what people are supposed to do, but for the only half I did, it was on average 1minute per mile faster than I had done that distance previously for the most part, and it was way hilly, and I had sore calves from doing a tempo run the day before (taper? what's that?). I was sore a long time, and got shin splints I think from that.

In any case, my guess is that the longer the distance, perhaps the smaller the difference should be between race pace and training pace? As in, you can get away with going all out on a 5 or 10 k, but for longer distances, especially at your race pace (nice!), work up to a higher speed for that distance at least somewhat closer to what you are hoping for on race day.

At the very least it may improve your recovery time.

1.75 miles yesterday, trying out some Sockwas - yes, I am the Imelda Marcos of barefoot running. I really liked them, though not as much as not wearing them. I felt a bit stiff beforehand and stopped early - don't think it was the shoes; it has been a difficult week. We were supposed to be at a festival this weekend and on holiday cycling in France next week, but my husband suddenly got a detached retina :cyclops: for no obvious reason - they kept asking him if he had suffered any blows to the head but I didn't hit him, honest - and got rushed in for emergency surgery, so festival and holiday all cancelled. :(:mad: (I don't often post from an actual computer - all these smilies!)

One thing I don't like about sockwas and other shoes that cover the toes kind of snugly is that even if they stretch well, my toes won't splay nearly as much. They kind of cramp up in there.

if your husband took video, your story about not hitting isn't going to fly. it's the modern age you know.
but seriously, yikes. hope that surgery goes well.

Reactions: happysongbird
13.2 miles yesterday in the Groomsport Half Marathon.
http://runmeter.com/745217ae4f6b4757/Run-20130816-1909?r=e
Tough tough course!! Soooo hilly. Dragged my toe AGAIN at mile 6 and cut it! Had to throw the Sockwas on. Great pace to start but couldn't keep it up over the hills. Faded bad towards the end. Ran it in a personal best tho! Race report to follow with some toe injury pics for Dama! Lol.

Well, 5k this morning. It was the Dirty Donkey Mud Run, it was fun and boy, was it muddy. Ran it with 2 of my daughters and have no idea of time. With a fair bit of waiting at the obstacles the finishing times were irrelevant. While golfing yesterday with a couple of boys from work they told me that the course might not be doable barefoot as they used to ride dirt bikes on parts of the course and I was told that it was very rocky with stretches of fist sized crushed rock. I took their advice and ran it in my vff's. They were right, I could not have done some sections barefoot. Will have to wait and see when my daughters download the pics from their cameras and see if I can post pics. All in all a great way to spend a Saturday morning. :D

New here, Ran walked my 1st 5 er today and it felt splendid. Total for the week. 23.75 mi. What was interesting bout todays outing was I saw my 1st naked man out doing my run. I started at 5:30AM nice and dark listening for my owl buddies and having a happy time. My running partner Becky was doing great as well. Becky is my rescue boxer/aussy mix. We were almost done working our last third mile and it was just starting to get light. I happened to look to the house to my left and wondered about the large statue in the front formal window . This one was ceiling to floor size...and then he turned and made eye contact. I say to Beck, gee he is buck naked and starching nicely. I then just turned away and run on. I should have stopped and waived. I have spoken to this fellow one early morning about 5am when he was covertly watering his flowers a month earlier. The had shorts on that time.

New here, Ran walked my 1st 5 er today and it felt splendid. Total for the week. 23.75 mi. What was interesting bout todays outing was I saw my 1st naked man out doing my run. I started at 5:30AM nice and dark listening for my owl buddies and having a happy time. My running partner Becky was doing great as well. Becky is my rescue boxer/aussy mix. We were almost done working our last third mile and it was just starting to get light. I happened to look to the house to my left and wondered about the large statue in the front formal window . This one was ceiling to floor size...and then he turned and made eye contact. I say to Beck, gee he is buck naked and starching nicely. I then just turned away and run on. I should have stopped and waived. I have spoken to this fellow one early morning about 5am when he was covertly watering his flowers a month earlier. The had shorts on that time.
Lol, hilarious! Not much you can say to that. Great mileage by the way!

You don't live near Inakilt, do you??