Mileage Reporting 31st Week of 2013

15.3km/9.5mi this morning, back from my foot pain, hopefully all is good, we'll see. I went very early as I wanted to run in the golf course, with the hope there would be noone, and it looks like everyone had the same idea...

So I had to be careful not to run across the golfer's path...Apart from that, a great morning, with about 13C/55F, winter is almost over !

Snuck in another great 5 mile run before work at 4:30 am 86 deg., 56%rh... Heard at least 5 or 6 different screech owls, saw a few rabbits. Note: I choose paths that have almost 0 traffic and also stay in the center of the road (always avoid sidewalks and what I call gutters by curbs jerks seem to throw glass items out into these areas).
This is my last run of week 15 of training. total 23 miles.
loved all the miles!
feet still good. legs still good.

I'm having trouble keeping myself reined it. Planned to do 1.25 miles, but did around 1.5 miles, but the feet and legs felt light and springy once I got going and nothing is feeling wrong in the immediate aftermath.

I did notice one thing today was that at first I was trying to keep my pace really easy, but I wasn't getting that spring-feeling and the run wasn't feeling easy. I picked up the cadence, began moving a bit faster, the legs started springing and things felt easy and right. So it actually seems like if you go too slow, it's harder and not easier. I guess it's like in that one video by Dr. Cucuzzella when he shows that one drill and how if you go real slow at it, it feels tough, but if you speed it up to the proper cadence, it gets easier.

I'm not timing things yet, but I have a definite impression that I'm probably running somewhat faster than when I last ran regularly back in 2010. And I think it's got to be because of the cadence and that I'm finally learning good running form.

Really try to hold back on the mileage but keep on with the light and springy feeling...don't risk the tmts range mileage increase that a lot us have went thru...believe me there is no hurry at all..you have years worth of time to adjust. You can't increase too slow....you can only increase too fast.

Another rest day on Sat, since I still felt sore from my upper body workout. Looked up the correct forms for my weightlifting routine and figured out what I was doing wrong. Today, I feel much better and ready for my swim lessons.
Ended up chatting with one of my kids swim coaches, also lifeguard on duty, also my former(? till I can afford more lessons) swim instructor. ... But I was in the lane right in front of his guard chair so I was on high alert and trying not to look so lame
I hear you. I feel like I need to maximize my pool time, since I'm paying for lessons. So all other exercise has taken a back seat.

Last week, my original instructor saw my freestyle for the first time in months. She said that it was technically correct, but that I should relax. I told her that I relax more at the end of the swim, when I'm tired.
I have no desire to do the butterfly. To me it seems the most unntural of strokes.
The stroke does feel unnatural to me, but I'm still new at it.

I've never been one to wish that I could run like a wild stallion or fly like a bird, but I will say I felt a bit jealous when we went on a speedboat ride and saw the dolphins swimming in the wake.
I'm still working on it, but I really enjoy the dolphin kick.
http://www.popsci.com/how-it-works/article/2008-08/how-it-works-dolphin-kick

I'm having trouble keeping myself reined it. Planned to do 1.25 miles, but did around 1.5 miles, but the feet and legs felt light and springy once I got going and nothing is feeling wrong in the immediate aftermath.

I did notice one thing today was that at first I was trying to keep my pace really easy, but I wasn't getting that spring-feeling and the run wasn't feeling easy. I picked up the cadence, began moving a bit faster, the legs started springing and things felt easy and right. So it actually seems like if you go too slow, it's harder and not easier. I guess it's like in that one video by Dr. Cucuzzella when he shows that one drill and how if you go real slow at it, it feels tough, but if you speed it up to the proper cadence, it gets easier.

I'm not timing things yet, but I have a definite impression that I'm probably running somewhat faster than when I last ran regularly back in 2010. And I think it's got to be because of the cadence and that I'm finally learning good running form.
I found the same thing. The slower you go, the harder it is to keep good form. Up the cadence and you're off! :) glad things are really coming together for you.

Scratch, I found the same running with a 180 metronome for a couple of runs - I felt much lighter, my feet got less tired and I think my form was better without me actually thinking about it as such. Unfortunately the metronome I bought seems to have a habit (documented in the Amazon reviews) of resetting itself to a default 120 every so often. It seemed to fix it when I replaced the batteries, but yesterday it did it again while I was running - if the batteries have gone after only two runs it will be a bit expensive to use! But I'm guessing that vibration uses more power than just a beep, maybe. Once the beat is in my head, I just needed to check it occasionally to make sure I wasn't slowing down imperceptibly.

Reactions: Scratch and Darkand
Saturday morning
7.1 miles
Slept in until 6 am, 7am start. Did a Como Lake out-n-back. Thought about stopping to clown around when I got to my favorite stretching spot at the five-mile mark, but the legs felt fine so I kept going, upping the pace just a bit to prevent fatigue. Ended up doing my longest continuous run by a half-mile or so. No fatigue whatsoever, running somewhere between a purely aerobic pace and a tempo pace. I'm so glad I cut Thursday's run short when I started to feel a little strain in my lower right quads, I think that helped set me up for a good run on Saturday.

Saturday during the day did a very late spring cleaning with the fam, then did some very enjoyable carbo-loading with Dutchie. Thanks for the evening Dutchie! We both agreed that Dama's presence was missed though.

Good to hear others confirm that running slow can feel awkward. I always cringe when folks give bf beginners advice to go slow. I think there's often a minimal pace below which it's not really worth running. It's much better to stop and walk a bit to catch one's breath in the beginning than to work on a certain distance that's not yet sustainable at a comfortable, good-form-inducing pace.

@Darkand, nice paces Andy!

@Nick, Glad you bailed on taking a whole week off. I think that's too much 'deloading.'

@Laura, looks like you're in fine shape for the tri. Now go and kick some barefoot a$$.

@Everyone else, great running. Very inspiring.

It's not my fault. Our friends invited us out and hubby said yes and there was music being played by my favorite local band. And there was this nice area to dance in. So, I danced. Then, I would try to stop, but I would find myself dancing again. About 1.5 hours barefoot total dancing time. The knee seems to have held up. I was trying to be light on my feet, which apparently delights the crowd. Again, people coming up afterward to say how much fun to watch me and ask if I'm "a dancer." I try to encourage them to just get out there and have fun! I know I do!

The stroke does feel unnatural to me, but I'm still new at it.

I've never been one to wish that I could run like a wild stallion or fly like a bird, but I will say I felt a bit jealous when we went on a speedboat ride and saw the dolphins swimming in the wake.
I'm still working on it, but I really enjoy the dolphin kick.
http://www.popsci.com/how-it-works/article/2008-08/how-it-works-dolphin-kick

I do dolphin kicking on my back just to work abs, hips and legs, using fins and without. One of my daughter's swim instructors who competes said it's also a good drill to learn to use the hips and legs properly in dolphin kick.
It gets me far more tired than freestyle, but feels great and I think it helps round out the workout to lower body. Moreover, I can do far more laps dolphin kicking on my back than panicking my way across trying to do full butterfly.

3 miles yesterday. 8 mile trail run today with a running group- everyone was relatively friendly about my bare feet. I had the last laugh when all their shoes got muddy and all I had to do was rinse off my feet! It was a really awesome run- pretty challenging terrain-wise as there were small rocky sections but it was doable. It was at Sibley Volcanic Preserve in Oakland, CA... I'm going to do a blog post about it when I get my pictures from my running partner (my phone died). Everyone acts like all of Oakland is dangerous and awful but it really has some of the most amazing trails.

3 miles yesterday. 8 mile trail run today with a running group- everyone was relatively friendly about my bare feet. I had the last laugh when all their shoes got muddy and all I had to do was rinse off my feet! It was a really awesome run- pretty challenging terrain-wise as there were small rocky sections but it was doable. It was at Sibley Volcanic Preserve in Oakland, CA... I'm going to do a blog post about it when I get my pictures from my running partner (my phone died). Everyone acts like all of Oakland is dangerous and awful but it really has some of the most amazing trails.
That's awesome. I love running with shod runners, their look of amazement is inspiring. Good times. :)

Reactions: happysongbird
I finished off the week yesterday with am 8.7km silly run. I told my 4 year old that I would race her to a statue, and leave a toy there if I got there before she did. Little did I know that the heavens were about to open up and dump about one minute after I started. Not to worry. I took off for the beach, and miscalculated on the tide and found myself on softer sand, with occasional stretches of quicksand. Every now and then a big set wave came in and washed my calves for me. My kid was a no-show at the statue, so I picked up my toy on the way back and 'won' the race, then headed home on the streets to avoid any further quicksand.

Best of all, FGLG.

What a cool truck. Do you need a CDL to drive it? Details please (engine, tranny, etc). I drove and worked around trucks in a past life. Nothing military though.

I do need a CDL to drive it but am working on putting Historical plates on it which MAY get me around a CDL, still checking on that. Its a 1971 M813A1 5 ton cargo truck. Built by General Products Division / Jeep Corporation. The engine is a Cummings NHC 250 naturally aspirated engine. A turbo engine would have been kinda nice. A mechanic told me it has an Eaton transmission which I cant personally confirm. Truck has power steering and air over hydraulic brakes. Really like driving it. It only has 15,xxx miles on it.

Yesterday was a 5k run with my daughter in Minneapolis/StPaul. Again time spent with my daughter while running was awesome. The roads were the best I've ever run barefoot on. The pavement was so smooth I felt like I was running on silk. Just a few barefoot running comments, all positive. While waiting for Lee in the lobby at the hotel I was approached by the doorman and asked to put on shoes as it was hotel policy that shoes must be worn in lobby. I then asked him if It this policy was available for viewing. Caught him by surprise with that one. He said the duty manager would show me. I just replied that's great because I would really like to see this written policy. After waiting for 10 minutes the manager still had not talked to me and the doorman left me alone. I stayed barefoot. Not to long after Lee showed up and we spend some time sampling the local beers. It was great meeting him, and I am pleased to announce that he is not a chipmunk. ;) I highly recommend this run, Minneapolis half marathon/ 5k to everyone as this was the most barefoot friendly run I've ever participated in. It was also a well run event.

Dutchie, pics or we can't believe that BL isn't a chipmunk.

traveled almost all of thursday and like i thought i slept most of friday. i went for a little run early in the morning. soft dirt road with easily visible gravel on it. little bit of road and done. saturday was supposed to be long run but did just over an hour. i remembered that my long runs include many breaks to check on the dogs and give them water. no dogs, no breaks. well, except for that call from nature which she decided to use a bull horn. coming to mexico always cleans out the system well for me. fresh fruit i take it because, no, it's not moctezuma's revenge. that came after doing a treatment for parasites. :eek: