Mileage Reporting 2nd Week of 2013

I haven't read this whole thread, sorry, it's so long, but I saw the word Livermore. I lived in Livermore and Dublin for about four years. My family lived in San Ramon for awhile. My mom worked in Pleasanton for many years. We call it the Bay Area, but truly, anything around Oakland is the Bay Area, as the Bay runs into it. Miss it all terribly. Especially San Diego, where I grew up.

I was replying to this:

Guess we all need to move out to the Bay Area, where the weather is always nearly perfect. Chances of getting hired at Berkeley are slim though, so I'm setting my sites on Colorado . . .

Lee mentioned Berkeley and then Colorado, so I assumed he was looking at DOE sites, so I tossed out Livermore Labs. Also, Lee, you can check out SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator) which I think is a DOE site - if that's in fact the line of work you're in. If you get out here we can go...wait for iiit....Booooouuuulllllderrrrinnnng! :D

7.5 miles on the old railroad bed trail, in sandals for the gritty gravel, though it looked fairly soft in several places.
sloooooow. the surface was like wet clay from all the melted snow. it was about 50 degrees so i did most of the run in a tank top and running skirt. in january. hah.

1.5 barefoot with the kids. no complaints from anyone this time. felt great but the temp was just below 50 by then, so no winter mileage. got my skin to the ground again, though, finally, for the first time in 2013

Wow Sid, that doesnt look so good... But besides getting bit by rattlesnakes I guess the fact that it would be illegal kind of seals the deal there. All my park trails that are close by close at night too. Kind of frustrating since instead of a perfectly good trail I have to run on the roads at night. And all the roads here in rural Ohio are 55mph and very narrow. Sometimes I run on the trail thats just the next property over, since its only me and my neighbor that would even see it, but usually I just stick to the roads (probably more chance of getting killed than your rattlesnakes, unfortunately). But I go out with enough candlepower that oncoming traffic dims there highbeams quicker than if I were a car. :D

60F here today and pretty much all the snow is gone. Didn't get to run though, maybe tomorrow.

I was replying to this: Lee mentioned Berkeley and then Colorado, so I assumed he was looking at DOE sites, so I tossed out Livermore Labs. Also, Lee, you can check out SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator) which I think is a DOE site - if that's in fact the line of work you're in. If you get out here we can go...wait for iiit....Booooouuuulllllderrrrinnnng! :D

I wasn't making any point. I was just sharing my past with you guys. Also, when I lived there many years ago, I tried to get a job at Lawrence Livermore National Labs, and they wouldn't hire me. Something about my having a convict for a brother. Nice, huh?

Reactions: Sid
I wasn't making any point. I was just sharing my past with you guys. Also, when I lived there many years ago, I tried to get a job at Lawrence Livermore National Labs, and they wouldn't hire me. Something about my having a convict for a brother. Nice, huh?

Guilt by association? Lovely. Then again, I'm told that there's some nasty stuff at LLNL, so I can sort of see why they're a little twitchy about outlaw relatives...

What I can't remember is why on God's green earth, you'd leave The Bay Area for GA?

Wow Sid, that doesnt look so good... But besides getting bit by rattlesnakes I guess the fact that it would be illegal kind of seals the deal there. All my park trails that are close by close at night too. Kind of frustrating since instead of a perfectly good trail I have to run on the roads at night. And all the roads here in rural Ohio are 55mph and very narrow. Sometimes I run on the trail thats just the next property over, since its only me and my neighbor that would even see it, but usually I just stick to the roads (probably more chance of getting killed than your rattlesnakes, unfortunately). But I go out with enough candlepower that oncoming traffic dims there highbeams quicker than if I were a car. :D

60F here today and pretty much all the snow is gone. Didn't get to run though, maybe tomorrow.

Can you do the "I ran out of daylight" excuse?

Guilt by association? Lovely. Then again, I'm told that there's some nasty stuff at LLNL, so I can sort of see why they're a little twitchy about outlaw relatives... What I can't remember is why on God's green earth, you'd leave The Bay Area for GA?

Long story. All I can say, without putting you all to sleep, is that God bless the broken road...

Can you do the "I ran out of daylight" excuse?
It'd be a poor excuse as I've ran there 20+ times now, and my GPS watch shows sunrise/sunset. Florida generally isn't a state where the legal system takes a lot of excuses. There's no income tax, so they write a lot of tickets. I think at the very least I'd get some sort of citation, which wouldn't be worth it. Plus, I don't think that the rattlesnake would care about any excuses, it'd just be pretty upset. Anyway, I can usually get in a good run before dark, that's all that counts.

I'm a bit late to the party, so I'll start with the summary of the first two weeks. Only just starting to get back into running after (gasp) an injury. :) Slowly working my way up in shoes and doing the odd short barefoot run into the bargain - usually in the morning when I run up to check the surf and back (which works out to about 450m - it's a start!)

Running totals: 25km shod, 2km barefoot, 12km bike.

My good news though is that I went along to my local social running group yesterday. They run about 7.5km and I planned on doing 5. I ended up feeling pretty good and enjoyed the company so much that they dragged me along for the whole distance at a careful pace. I was surprised that I made it, that's the longest run I've done since breaking down midway through last year, so I'm over the moon about that and feeling pretty positive about this year's tilt.

I'm visiting relatives in my old home town, so tomorrow I'm going to go for a trip down memory lane and run around the 6km lap of the lake that I used to run when I was younger. If I can get within 5 mins of my best lap time I'll be stoked!

I was replying to this:

Lee mentioned Berkeley and then Colorado, so I assumed he was looking at DOE sites, so I tossed out Livermore Labs. Also, Lee, you can check out SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator) which I think is a DOE site - if that's in fact the line of work you're in. If you get out here we can go...wait for iiit....Booooouuuulllllderrrrinnnng! :D
The bold invitation to boulder is most inviting.

But alas, I'm a linguistic anthropologist. About the only energy I deal with is acoustic and/or ritualistic and/or AA batteries for my recorder. Although my field site is rapidly transforming now with the discovery of petroleum and natural gas, so perhaps there is an in there.

Any movement away from Minnesota will probably be based more on lifestyle considerations than career ones. Minnesota is a very well-run place, but unless you're into fishing, the weekend activity options are pretty limited. I would love to be able to take my kids out hiking several times a month.

Oh, yeah, this is a mileage reporting thread, right?

OK: Friday, substituted my st workout for a long conversation with my wife while the kids were still at school. I try to be fascistic about workouts, but we rarely get to talk between kids and work and studies, so had to take advantage.

Saturday: Spent the afternoon with the family, so no chance of making up the st workout or doing the scheduled run. May have to try to fit both in today, before the playoff games of course.

Back from my (unfortunately shod) lap of the lake. The track seems a little longer than it used to be, or maybe I'm a little slower in my old age. Surely not? Only 4 minutes slower than my old pace, so I'm actually quite pleased. I've now reached the point where I'm ready to start throwing in a bit more barefoot running, so it's all going to plan.