Mileage Reporting 25th Week of 2013

Larry

Barefooters
Sep 13, 2012
Happy Monday!

5.7km barefoot this morning, wet and a little chilly. Started on footpaths and then made it to the surf club and realised the tide was out far enough to consider running home on the beach. Only found one patch of soft sand that bogged me down, so it was OK. Picked up a little blister for my troubles - I thought I had made it past that stage for this distance.

Yesterday I joined in with the local cross country club. They seem a decent bunch, although some are too serious for me and most of them are way too fast for me. The handicapper is my mate, so I got a decent mark and finished 28th out of 110 or so. I think I'll do it again, but I was a little disappointed to find that they are more inclined towards good running tracks rather than full on mud-soaked cross country with mud baths, jumping over logs and the like. That's the sort of thing I was hoping for, but on the plus side I might actually be able to do the odd run BF for a laugh.

Sunday - 9 gentle miles in Central Park before attending a barefoot clinic held by Dr Emily Splichal for a small group of us. It was great to hear a slightly different approach to barefooting and learn other ways to strengthen and develop the necessary intrinsic muscles of the foot.

Sunday morning
Como Lake out-n-back
7.21 mi / 11.6 km, total
6.48 mi / 10.5 km, running
Almost hot

I had to get my run in in the morning before heading out for a Father’s Day picnic and subsequent hanging out at my brother’s pool late afternoon/early evening for his older son's birthday. My legs were really stiff and so I ran really slow. I stopped twice to stretch extensively, with little improvement. I walked the last bit home to avoid injury or strain. Bad stuff tends to happen when my legs are in an uncooperative mood, so no use arguing. I don’t know if it was just one of those days, or if it was running earlier in the day, or maybe I was dehydrated, but I had to be going close to my Maf pace--10:52 mm overall.

An older cyclist in full racing gear asked me while I was sitting on the ground stretching out my shin and foot: "Trying to run barefoot?"
I asked him if he was trying to ride a bike.

On another run last week, a cyclist with his girlfriend told me I forgot my shoes.
I told him he forgot his car.

Why are cyclists all of a sudden getting on my case?

Actually Lee I had listened, I had tried rolling and massaging (by hand) and using my the little stick, but it didn't work. I think doing those things helps to keep me loose now at this point, but I think the knots were so deep and bad that it actually took the tennis ball and softball to get deep enough and work them out. Still amazed that the dr wanted to go all frankenstein on my foot and ankle...
Yah, I was just giving you sh!t. When I was first getting rid of my knots, I used the Knobble and a little spinning wheel to get deep down into my shin muscles. Now I just need the stick (and electric massager) for maintenance. If I ever feel pain though, I dig down deep again.

@ Dutchie, amazing half for such minimal training. Congrats!

:p
Sunday morning
Como Lake out-n-back
7.21 mi / 11.5 km, total
6.48 mi / 10.5 km, running
Almost hot

I had to get my run in in the morning before heading out for a Father’s Day picnic and subsequent hanging out at my brother’s pool late afternoon/early evening for his older son's birthday. My legs were really stiff and so I ran really slow. I stopped twice to stretch extensively, with little improvement. I walked the last bit home to avoid injury or strain. Bad stuff tends to happen when my legs are in an uncooperative mood, so no use arguing. I don’t know if it was just one of those days, or if it was running earlier in the day, but I had to be going close to my Maf pace--10:52 mm overall.

An older cyclist in full racing gear asked me while I was stretching out my shin and foot: "Trying to run barefoot?"

On another run last week, a cyclist with his girlfriend told me I forgot my shoes.

Why are cyclists all of a sudden getting on my case?

Yah, I was just giving you sh!t. When I was first getting rid of my knots, I used the Knobble and a little spinning wheel to get deep down into my shin muscles. Now I just need the stick (and electric massager) for maintenance. If I ever feel pain though, I dig down deep again.

@ Dutchie, amazing half for such minimal training. Congrats!

Posted on the wrong week Mr and don't you give crap about it!

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Ah ok, you know how text can lose all tone and sometimes humor gets lost. Ya my light stretching and rolling and massaging does seem to be doing the trick for keeping my legs lose and pain free, but when I get done paying off all those stupid medical bills from the mri, dr, and physical therapist I am going to go in and do a sports massage and trigger point therapy session. I'm sure there is stuff that I am missing and if a professional can work out those for me then hopefully it will help to balance me out a little more. I do think part of my peroneal tendon problem was the muscles had weakened from letting the pf last so long and get so bad. When the pt released that it probably helped re-align my foot and ankle which put new stresses on the peroneal tendons making them painful. It does feel the longer it's been since getting the pf fixed and I am exercising regularly that the pain is getting better and the muscles are getting stronger. Now if I can just keep up this being healthy stuff I should be good to go. I just completed my longest week of running since December at nearly 17 miles for the week. Oh, and in the last two weeks I've lost 5lbs so I've only got another 4 to go before I am back to where I was back in December.

Ah ok, you know how text can lose all tone and sometimes humor gets lost. Ya my light stretching and rolling and massaging does seem to be doing the trick for keeping my legs lose and pain free, but when I get done paying off all those stupid medical bills from the mri, dr, and physical therapist I am going to go in and do a sports massage and trigger point therapy session. I'm sure there is stuff that I am missing and if a professional can work out those for me then hopefully it will help to balance me out a little more. I do think part of my peroneal tendon problem was the muscles had weakened from letting the pf last so long and get so bad. When the pt released that it probably helped re-align my foot and ankle which put new stresses on the peroneal tendons making them painful. It does feel the longer it's been since getting the pf fixed and I am exercising regularly that the pain is getting better and the muscles are getting stronger. Now if I can just keep up this being healthy stuff I should be good to go. I just completed my longest week of running since December at nearly 17 miles for the week. Oh, and in the last two weeks I've lost 5lbs so I've only got another 4 to go before I am back to where I was back in December.
Something wrong here nick you "quoted" me but I didn't say that I think it was Lee actually.

Reactions: Bare Lee
An older cyclist in full racing gear asked me while I was sitting on the ground stretching out my shin and foot: "Trying to run barefoot?"

I love your responses.

Hubby is home today, so I rearranged my plan to be on the spinning bike with him, then run. I biked 60 minutes, then got right out to run. Hills and rough pavement, plus I felt tired from Saturday, I guess. Anyway, poor hubby got bad calf cramp at 1.5 miles and went home (fortunately we had looped and were close). I decided I was going slow enough to go ahead and put in a few more miles than intended. Made it 6.4 S2G. Was getting pretty hot toward the end, so good heat training.

45 minutes of trotting/running/hiking through a hilly part of Wildwood. Hope to be back to it again this afternoon, but am having a family drama to take care of.

Is Polly giving you hard times again?

4.02 miles today. Was hoping to do closer to 6 but I started out in my vff's and 1.33 miles in I had to take them off and put my lunas on. Too late the damage was done and the rest of the run was ruined and painful. By the time I took off the vff's I was having toe pain and numbness on left foot, shin pain on right leg, and an ever so slight knee pain on left knee. At this point I should have turned around and just went home. Instead I thought oh now that I put my lunas on my aches will go away... Ya, stupid of me. By two miles I knew it wasn't going to get better so I turned around then, but it was way to late. Was able to finish the run but I will have to take tomorrow off probably. My left knee was really sore by the time I finished the run as I think it was compensating for the shin pain on the opposite leg. Only reason I even tried the vff's was because I was just hoping for a temporary solution for an easy on easy off footwear till my correctly sized luna monos get in (had to send the first ones back because they were toooooooo big). I love my luna pacers with the more traditional style laces but they are just slow to get on and I get impatient sometimes. I need to stop that. Getting impatient I mean. I also did ST of chest, triceps, and abs today in the gym. Great workout overall and my legs feel ok now, but I know if I were to run I would be hurting in no time flat.

4.02 miles today. Was hoping to do closer to 6 but I started out in my vff's and 1.33 miles in I had to take them off and put my lunas on. Too late the damage was done and the rest of the run was ruined and painful. By the time I took off the vff's I was having toe pain and numbness on left foot, shin pain on right leg, and an ever so slight knee pain on left knee. At this point I should have turned around and just went home. Instead I thought oh now that I put my lunas on my aches will go away... Ya, stupid of me. By two miles I knew it wasn't going to get better so I turned around then, but it was way to late. Was able to finish the run but I will have to take tomorrow off probably. My left knee was really sore by the time I finished the run as I think it was compensating for the shin pain on the opposite leg. Only reason I even tried the vff's was because I was just hoping for a temporary solution for an easy on easy off footwear till my correctly sized luna monos get in (had to send the first ones back because they were toooooooo big). I love my luna pacers with the more traditional style laces but they are just slow to get on and I get impatient sometimes. I need to stop that. Getting impatient I mean. I also did ST of chest, triceps, and abs today in the gym. Great workout overall and my legs feel ok now, but I know if I were to run I would be hurting in no time flat.

Sorry about that Nick, maybe we should get together for a beer and drown our sorrows, lately it seems that you and I can't shake the niggels, only problem with my great idea is that I don't drink, wait! maybe that's my problem!);']

Sorry about that Nick, maybe we should get together for a beer and drown our sorrows, lately it seems that you and I can't shake the niggels, only problem with my great idea is that I don't drink, wait! maybe that's my problem!);']
I knew it was a risk with the vff's. I ran in them 2-3 weeks ago on the treadmill for a mile and got some trigger points and shin pain. I mistakenly attributed those problems to the treadmill. No more vff's for me. Anyone wanna buy two pairs of vff speeds for cheap?

Sunday - 9 gentle miles in Central Park before attending a barefoot clinic held by Dr Emily Splichal for a small group of us. It was great to hear a slightly different approach to barefooting and learn other ways to strengthen and develop the necessary intrinsic muscles of the foot.

I lead us/her, to, her/us. You're welcome! :D

Reactions: Bare Lee

If me and Mike's MT is on your insurance, you HAVE to go to him. Not only is he THE BEST MET EVER -but he specializes in myofascial trigger point therapy and he is painless. But, best of all, he will TEACH you what you need to know to do it to yourself so that you won't need to keep going in.

I knew it was a risk with the vff's. I ran in them 2-3 weeks ago on the treadmill for a mile and got some trigger points and shin pain. I mistakenly attributed those problems to the treadmill. No more vff's for me. Anyone wanna buy two pairs of vff speeds for cheap?

The first time I tried to go back to my VFFs (Bikilas) -after months of being 100% barefoot- I thought I was going to DIE. I had instant, and MANY, trigger points in my ankles, etc. I cut off all of their support and toes and they are fine now.

Ran 3.2 miles tonight and walked 1 mile. Had to take a few days off from running as my left ankle had been bothering me some after my last race. Ran a bit to fast in last weeks race and apparently my left ankle is not used to the faster running. Today my ankle was feeling just about normal and I've been anticipating a barefoot run and decided I'd go this evening. Had a very enjoyable run! Thought maybe a short run would be enough for tonight just to see how the ankle feels the next day. After my run my ankle did feel a bit sore but will see what its like tomorrow after work and determine then if I will run tomorrow night or if the ankle will need more rest.
A relative had noticed that some pictures were posted of runners that ran in the Buffalo County Stampede 5K and half marathon in which I ran the 5K barefoot. They noticed a photo of me and thought I would share it here. Might make it my avatar if I can make it work.

Carey Buffalo County Stampede.jpg