Mileage Reporting 22nd Week of 2013

18 mile bike ride today. amazing what a mostly flat, traffic light free road will do for you. was along Columbia river and my face is slightly burnt. i was able to get one sub 4m/m. crazy that some people can run that fast.

I'm assuming your body parts were not prepared to even so much as do a recovery run after Thursday, eh? Lol!

Went for a 4 hour hike today in Zion National Park! Another hiker passed us and said, "Barefoot! You're adventurous." I said, "Yeah" and suppressed laughter and managed not to be to much of a smart-butt since I didn't want to embarrass Brine Shrimp. ;) My hip has been "niggly" all day cuz with all this traveling I have not done my daily exercises - so that is what I get. This calls for a long run tonight interspersed with lots of squats...in preparation to fall to my death tomorrow morning off of Angel's Landing (six people have died there). :D Whoot! Meanwhile here are some photos! That last photo is the snarly look Brine Shrimp gets on his face when he is about to threaten my 8 year old self to stay "inside". Lol!

View attachment 2204View attachment 2205View attachment 2206View attachment 2207View attachment 2208View attachment 2209
Wow, awesome photos Jen! Hope you all have a great time!

Reactions: jldeleon
ah. felt fine on friday but the bike did make me sore down there.

6m run with some hill work thrown in. my legs are now feeling it. they nearly gave out on me half way up second hill.

Woke up early this morning and decided to go for an early morning run before the YMCA's race named "The June Jamboree" started which happened to be at the park where I run. I ran 5.2 miles BF before the race and decided to watch the race at least get started. Originally had planned on running this race (the 10K) barefoot but decided since I didn't run much this week and a bit over 2 miles of it would be on a rough surface that I could probably run on but would have slowed my times down a bit so I decided to be a barefoot spectator instead. :) Temps were in the 50s this morning so I dressed a bit warmer than usual. Was quite windy during my run but by the start of the race the wind was going to make the last 3.5 mile section miserable as it had greatly increased. While waiting for the childrens fun run to end and the 10k to start I was starting to get chilled. Several people noticed my barefeet and ignored me but one guy came up to me and asked if I was running the 10K barefoot. I told him no I would not be in the race but had ran a bit over five miles earlier and that my feet were not quite ready for the rougher surfaces. He said he would sure like to give barefoot running a try but didn't think his feet could handle it. He then walked off. There didn't seem to be as many people show up for the race as I expected may be because of the weather. Next year I may consider running this barefoot if my feet are ready for it. I left before the first runners came to the finish as I was quite cold and was ready to crank up the heat in the car on my way home.

5 miles pavement with lots of zigzagging and running over gravel and grass, etc. A dude asked what the method behind my madness was to which I replied that I am a trail runner and it's as close as I can get in a town. Should have told him I was drunk. :)

saturday: around 16-17 mi in am, pretty morning

afternoon: lotta running around for my kids pool party. no swim. kids had fun. the running was virtual, and mostly through the building and up and around the stairs, but hey, i was barefoot the whole time

Started off my run late today. Rode the mountain bike 9 miles before breakfast. Ran 11 miles at 9:00 am (great run) at start of run it was 73 deg. F., at the end it was 83 deg. F., 56% rh.. found a dime at the start. Being later in the day I did not think I would see as much wild life so I was counting squirrels. I counted at least 30 ( this is not many for this area we have a lot). The road temperature was cool in the start but near the end my feet were starting to feel a little heat(I often think of the verse in the Who song Slip kid I'm gonna run till my feet are raw). looking forward to next Sunday running the wounded warrior 1/2 marathon. This is the end of week 6 of my training, total miles 24. I love to run barefoot. feet good legs good

Well, did a small hike with the family up at Multnomah Falls this morning. Wife's pregnant and wasn't able to go all the way up but that was ok, it was just nice to get out for a bit. Here's a few of my pictures from the hike.
View attachment 2210View attachment 2211View attachment 2212View attachment 2213View attachment 2214View attachment 2215View attachment 2216View attachment 2217View attachment 2218View attachment 2219View attachment 2220View attachment 2221View attachment 2222View attachment 2223View attachment 2224
Cool area very nice.

5 miles pavement with lots of zigzagging and running over gravel and grass, etc. A dude asked what the method behind my madness was to which I replied that I am a trail runner and it's as close as I can get in a town. Should have told him I was drunk. :)
I am surprised by how many people actually talk to you about the 'madness' :confused: ....Here. people just stare at me discreetly, but usually no one even realises that I am barefoot....The most reaction I had so far, was in Switzerland, a person literally stopped a very animated discussion, to watch me go by (but without saying anything)

Anyway, this week finished with a very slow 12.3km (7.6mi).

I feel some soreness in my lower leg, and adductors, I think the 10' intervals on Friday are the culprits...I will take it very easy this week

Had planned on a five mile run this morning but ended up running only 3.2mi as quickly as I could just to check my pace as Im signed up for a 5K next Sunday and will be running it barefoot. Looks like my time was 7:22 mm. That included picking up my hat after the wind swept if off my head. (That was from a gust of wind and not the wind from my slow running pace!) ;) I started out sprinting and sure had a nice smooth form at that pace. Of course that sprint speed petered out after about a mile and a quarter then I had to slow down some. Amazingly I felt really good after the race with no tight muscles at all. This evening I did notice though that my left ankle is slightly sore and the arch muscle feels as if it has been over worked a bit but not bad. It was a great run though as temps were low 60'sF and nearly no wind!

I am surprised by how many people actually talk to you about the 'madness' :confused: ....Here. people just stare at me discreetly, but usually no one even realises that I am barefoot....The most reaction I had so far, was in Switzerland, a person literally stopped a very animated discussion, to watch me go by (but without saying anything)

Anyway, this week finished with a very slow 12.3km (7.6mi).

I feel some soreness in my lower leg, and adductors, I think the 10' intervals on Friday are the culprits...I will take it very easy this week

You just reminded me -while I was running last week, a guy drove alongside of me having a conversation about barefoot running for like THREE minutes - hilarious! It was a country road, so not too much traffic. Hah!

This morning we did a 5 mile hike with a 1,500 foot elevation gain! It took 4 hours. And it ended at Angel's Landing -where like 6 people have fallen to their death -cuz there is just a chain to hold on to while you scale a 30-40 degree chunk of rock. I only did the first half of the last .5 miles, David could not stomach it and stayed behind for that part.

Out of about the 75 people up there, only TWO of them had the guts to go all the way to the top!

I wore my Moc3s on this and they had good traction. David could not stomach the last part of the climb that I did. He said that when people came back a couple of them were talking about "that redheaded girl with the weird shoes - she's going to fall". Psh! Just because I was "crab-walking" on the parts of the "non-trail" withOUT a chain to hold on to, at a 30 degree angle, off a 1,500 foot high ravine, is no reason to think that I did not have enough traction. I'm just cautious.

On the way out I passed a kid (14ish?) who was barefoot! :)

Here is a video - not mine - to give you an idea.

Angel's Landing

And here are some photos!

This is to give you an idea of how narrow and steep the "trail was" and there is the chain to hold on to (which some people did NOT hold on to).
20130602_102627.jpg

Here is what is on the other side of the chain...death!

20130602_102633.jpg

Here is the part I "crab-walked" across, since there was NOT a chain to hold on to.

20130602_100051.jpg

I stopped at the last observation point and looked down and took this shot - see that road waaaay down there???

20130602_101506.jpg

You see those trees on the top of that ridge back there? Ya, there are people up there with those trees. This was taken from the halfway point. And that dark line to the right, that's the "trail".

20130602_101121.jpg

I was seriously SHOCKED to watch people JOGGING by and not holding on to the chains at all and people out there with their young children! Some of the people who turned back said things like, "My children need their mother/father." Smart people.

Now I am kicking back, drinking a Black Butte Porter, and waiting for a chameleon to mate with my foot!

This morning we did a 5 mile hike with a 1,500 foot elevation gain! It took 4 hours. And it ended at Angel's Landing -where like 6 people have fallen to their death -cuz there is just a chain to hold on to while you scale a 30-40 degree chunk of rock. I only did the first half of the last .5 miles, David could not stomach it and stayed behind for that part.

Out of about the 75 people up there, only TWO of them had the guts to go all the way to the top!

I wore my Moc3s on this and they had good traction. David could not stomach the last part of the climb that I did. He said that when people came back a couple of them were talking about "that redheaded girl with the weird shoes - she's going to fall". Psh! Just because I was "crab-walking" on the parts of the "non-trail" withOUT a chain to hold on to, at a 30 degree angle, off a 1,500 foot high ravine, is no reason to think that I did not have enough traction. I'm just cautious.

On the way out I passed a kid (14ish?) who was barefoot! :)

What the @$#& Jen! You are in my area and not even a PM. Thanks, I thought we were friends.;) I know, you and David want to enjoy your alone time together. Angels landing is my son's favorite hike. Have a great time here.

Reactions: NickW
What the @$#& Jen! You are in my area and not even a PM. Thanks, I thought we were friends.;) I know, you and David want to enjoy your alone time together. Angels landing is my son's favorite hike. Have a great time here.

Actually dude, I was just talking to David about you yesterday, "I forgot to email Rick from Utah (your official name), I need to email Rick from Utah, I wonder how far away Rick from Utah lives from here..." So how close are you? We are going to be here for the next two days, leaving Wednesday but with a hike on the way out that day too. PM me, dude.

Awesome pics Jen and Nick!

Well I finally broke my long run record - 16 miles today. Took me since last fall to finally get back to 15+ miles. Winter I guess is a major setback for me. Anyhow should be setting new long distance records for me every long run now, from now until my marathon I signed up for in October I plan on incrementing ~10% each time. Right off the top of my head I can't remember what my other two runs were this week, I think 7 and 9 miles, so 32 for the week I think.

This might be an Aussie thing. I'm still pretty new to this, and I haven't clocked up that many kms, but nobody has ever said anything to me, other than people I know.

I had a rest day today after a shod 11.4km yesterday - my longest 'long run' since I started running again. Like Tristan, I'm in a phase where I'm setting new records quite often, which is fun. Barefoot tomorrow if the waves are average, or I might get up early and run 5km before a surf. It's getting a little harder to do that now, with dropping temperatures, less daylight and warmer blankets. :)

well, my post feels pretty insignificant compared to jen's.

2 mile recovery run with dogs to the park where i did some body weight training while they did their dog thing. i then rode 19 miles round trip to go see Eric Orton talk about his book. we talked before and after the signing. nice guy and i bought his book so i'll put up a review and results for what may be a different training regimen for me.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11

Latest posts