Mileage Reporting 21st Week of 2013

So, Ive really got to hand it to crazy Jena and Mike. They recommended this book, The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. I've been trying to read a little as I get time about the peroneus tendons. Last night following the directions I found THE trigger point that is causing this problem I've been having. I have hit this spot before with the stick, but I've never focused on it before like I did this time. Wow, after doing that I got up to go to bed and the pain was completely gone. I woke up this morning and it was still gone. Now after a couple hours of being on my feet cleaning I can feel the pain coming back a little so I think I need to hit that trigger point with the stick again. Surgery my ass. Cutting apart my calcaneus, ya right. Glad I didnt listen to franken-doc.
Great News!

It was Jimmy Hart's article on TOFP along with Jen/Mike's advice last year about trigger points/referred pain that helped me find the cure for my year-long problem with tight shin muscles. I wonder how many other folks taking up bfr and/or minimalist running have been misdiagnosed as having stress reactions and stress fractures in their metatarsals, when all it might take is a good massage and some unknotting of the lower leg.

I also like to give the feet a good massage, especially on the inside of the arch.

6 miles trail run/walk with my runner friend from work Norman...he is in the Georgia chapter here also. Tested most of the trails at Red Top Mountain state park. About half the trails were the easiest/fastest I've ever seen around here, the rest were a mixed bag of decent/hilly with a good bit of runnable natural gravel sections. One whole trail was covered in man-made gravel and not barefoot friendly...didn't run any of that one.

There are a couple races there this summer...a half marathon on the not barefoot friendly gravel trail but the other race a 10 miler is doable on the fast parts plus a few miles of natural gravel stretches...it wouldn't be a super fast race but has potential.

Not many runs this week, today did only my second run, but did 22.3km (13.9mi) with George Carter, we had a great run along one of Sydney's busiest 'Sunday morning' park (Centenial park). Still managed 34km for the week (21.3mi) !

OMG another excellent run on another new path! I ran 10 miles at 5:15 am, 73 deg. F., 89%RH. The new path I picked this morning lead me through one of the more influential areas of Dallas TX. (Multi-million dollar estates). The homes are beautiful (the ones I could see from the road through their personal forests) the landscaping was also pleasing to the eye. There were many large creek crossings. I saw swans, rabbits, squirrels, ducks and many types of birds. In one spot I heard a rooster crow (you just don’t hear that much where I live)( I’m easily amused). This run had quite a few hills (they do not seem to bother me). This was the last run of week 5 training for me, 21 total miles and going up.still on schedule to do the wounded warrior ½ marathon 6-9-13. Feet Good, legs good. I love to run barefoot!

It was Jimmy Hart's article on TOFP
So, I've ordered the trigger points book because of my husband's shoulder surgery and my youngest daughters are having some pains that might be helped by it, but I can't find this article. Help?

Yesterday I went on my first "serious" biking on the road. Actually, I wasn't feeling all that serious about it, so I was pleased that I maintained an average speed that was close to what I was doing for my triathlon last August. Since it is now time to switch my training to the triathlon at the beginning of August, this is encouraging. I rode 14 miles, which gave me my first real sense of the linear distance of the half marathon, which I found interesting. The pavement along that route is fairly rough, but after reading about some of you who run on this sort of stuff for races, and since so many races seem to have such rough pavement, maybe I'll make it one of my running routes.

Saturday afternoon
Just did bench presses. Started in on the military press, but my left shoulder was still a bit sore, so I thought it best to let it rest some more and blew off the rest of the workout. Then I cross-trained on the grill with beef skewers.
So, I've ordered the trigger points book because of my husband's shoulder surgery and my youngest daughters are having some pains that might be helped by it, but I can't find this article. Help?
Here they are Laura:
http://gobarefooting.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/injury-top-of-the-foot-pain/
http://gobarefooting.wordpress.com/2010/05/01/injury-top-of-the-foot-pain-treatment-and-recovery/
I like to massage or roll the lower leg with the 'stick' and use an electric massager too. I'm also a big believer in stretching, foam rolling the upper leg, and doing free weights, jumps, and mobility exercises to support the hips and knees. I believe a combination of all these things has kept me running injury-free for the last several months. (I keep repeating this spiel just in case someone hasn't seen it and it might help them.)

Yesterday I went on my first "serious" biking on the road. Actually, I wasn't feeling all that serious about it, so I was pleased that I maintained an average speed that was close to what I was doing for my triathlon last August. Since it is now time to switch my training to the triathlon at the beginning of August, this is encouraging. I rode 14 miles, which gave me my first real sense of the linear distance of the half marathon, which I found interesting. The pavement along that route is fairly rough, but after reading about some of you who run on this sort of stuff for races, and since so many races seem to have such rough pavement, maybe I'll make it one of my running routes.
I like semi rough asphalt the best, some of the older concrete here is rougher than the roughest asphalt we have. My theory is that it all help me keep my form as correct as I can get it( by not pounding or pushing off).

Reactions: happysongbird
Yesterday I went on my first "serious" biking on the road. Actually, I wasn't feeling all that serious about it, so I was pleased that I maintained an average speed that was close to what I was doing for my triathlon last August. Since it is now time to switch my training to the triathlon at the beginning of August, this is encouraging.

Cool your doing another triathlon...I switched jobs awhile back and haven't been in the pool since...someday after I get my job situation improved I'll get back to Tri training.

Did an early morning run at Rabbit Hill park, 6 mile Maff test, sunny cool low 50'sF...just perfect weather. My patient Maff running is working out welll, averaged right at 8:30 min/mile for the 6 miles...that's about all my legs want to go right now so I'll stick with the base training for a few more weeks.

I started doing a once a week upper body strength workout a couple weeks ago...I"m seriously sore from the last workout.

Got a long run in this morning. Wanted to hit up a trail this time but decided to head to my usual rail trail instead. Maybe next time i'll make the trip to the scenic trail. It has been a little chilly the last couple mornings - almost had frost again in the 30's but this morning was mid 40's and right at 50 when I hit the trail. Perfectly clear sky and a gentle breeze - absolutely perfect. On the return part the angle to the sun was such that my polarized glasses made the sky that awesome deep blue and the green trees just looked so nice against it.

14.75 miles total. After my warmup I was hoping to do the first half a bit under 9mm and the return a bit over 9mm. I didn't pay much attention to the garmin during the run but did the first half at 8:49mm and second half at 9:16mm. The second half I changed things up a little, loaded up a different playlist and when a few certain songs came on I picked up the pace, then eased back when other songs played. Maybe 3 or 4 fast songs, 7-8:30 pace, and then slowed to ~10ish pace inbetween. Felt good to vary things up. Seemed to help! I'm feelin' good!

Week recap:
22nd - 8.8
23rd - 3
24th - 7.2
26th - 14.75

33 3/4 miles

Um, Nick, why isn't it ever CRAZY MIKE and Jen??? :D

Since teaching myself trigger point therapy 2 years ago, I have found that probably 80% of all pains in my body were/are caused by trigger points! Even toothaches! I just totally freaked my mom out not too long ago by getting rid of a toothache she'd had for THREE months just by killing off a trigger point - which took me mere minutes.

Trigger point therapy was one of the FEW things that I actually DECIDED to take the time to learn. It is now, just like anything one practices, second nature. I have beat down all of my trigger points to a small handful. Now that my body is hardly full of knots, instead of mostly full of knots, I am now keenly aware of when they are cropping up on me, and can smack them down (I mean kindly influence them to leave) before they start causing a chain reaction. The final 5 or so that were/are chronic have lead me to the SOURCE of muscular-skeletal alignment problems -because the hardest ones to get rid of are always closest to the source of the problem. The easier to get rid of, ones, tend to be farther away from the source of the problem, so their tension kind of dilutes.

I CAN NOT WAIT TO GO TO MASSAGE THERAPY COLLEGE!!! September 28th! One of my emphasises is going to be in Trigger Point Therapy (duh). AND I plan to job shadow my kick-@$$ MT who does myofascial TP therapy. Muah-ha-ha-haaa!!! My goal is to teach as many people as possible to do their own trigger point therapy using a variety of instruments and methods. Especially since not everyone can afford to continuously go to an MT!

Jen, I can't say Mike is crazy, because he's not. He might be a bit grumpy sometimes but he's not crazy. :)

If you teach clients to release their own trigger points pretty soon you'll teach yourself out of a job...

I keep telling him he needs to start a Grumpy Mike page to contend with Grumpy Cat. :)

See, he could even use Mury to help him do THIS!

945040_10151493226013127_712231219_n.jpg

I would be happy to teach myself out of a job! I get that particular inspiration from my late Naturopath!

HIJACK ALERT!

This morning I walked my schnauzers around the neighborhood. Took off my flip flops and walked about 1 mile barefoot on the rough asphalt around the lake. My schauzers were barefoot too and their form looked great! :) Built a cage to place over some carnivorous plants I have planted in a huge pot that I intend to use during the severe weather nights to protect them from hail but still allow the pot to collect rain water. They took a bit of a butchering from a hail storm earlier in the week.

Went for a 4.8 mile run this evening, well just after suppertime I mean. Temp was in the mid 80's with wind again. Pretty good run but kinda tired as Ive been pushing my distance some this week. Near the end of the run my left foot (sole) was a bit sore from the rough asphalt walking this morning and then I ran on about .5 miles of rough asphalt at the start of todays run and ended the run with another .5 mile walk on some more asphalt. My feet were definately ready to get off the asphalt. The park I ran out was crawling with people like ants at a picnic. May run under 5 miles tomorrow but have a busy day planned. Need to weed the wildflower patch at the farm I started this spring.

Oh and since Songbird and others like to include other hard work here I'd like to add that in addition to my long run this morning I spent most the rest of the day hard at work outside! Mainly working on the garden - its getting late so planned on finishing it up over the long weekend. Had about 1/4 of it weeded and planted over the last couple weeks. I spent about 3hrs weeding the rest of it (weeds were about waist high and starting to flower - so I wanted to remove them completely before tilling). Loaded up an extra heaping huge load of weeds in my 30cuft wagon and hauled off. Then with shovel and arms filled that wagon about 3/4 full of composted horse manure, and spread it around the garden. Really been wanting to put a loader on one of my garden tractors, oh well. Was debating whether or not to till, the section I already put in I didnt till first (but did break the soil up with an auger around where I put each plant). I'd normally use the rototiller but my garden tractor with the tiller is in need of some work so I went old school and mounted the single bottom plow to my good running garden tractor. I'll get out the disc harrow tomorrow to break down the furrows and smooth it out and hopefully get it planted too. Still a lot to get done... and my back is pretty sore tonight!

A couple shots of my old 70's workhorse tearing up the garden like the big tractors do...
IMG_4871-800.jpg

IMG_4876-800.jpg

IMG_4878-800.jpg

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts