Mileage Reporting 1st Week of 2013

4.35 miles in 40 minutes c/w a 3 plus minute train crossing wait. Not bad for running in crazy snow. Have not sweat like that in a long time.

3.65 miles in my vff's. Avg'd a 9:56 pace even while pushing the stroller! Felt really strong today and I'm not sure if it's from the mean green smoothie thing I added in my diet as well as a healthy dinner last night. This was a crazy burst of strength and my legs were not the limiting factor today, that was the cold burning the lungs and making me cough. The last 1.3 miles were all uphill and I felt great going up! Going to have to keep up with this smoothy experiment and see if it was just a flukey day or if the smoothy really did have an effect. Was not able to go to the gym like I had planned as for some reason the gym is locked and I can't get in. Usually there is a sign if there is maintenance, so I'm pretty agitated to not be able to get any ST in with no reason other than some yay hoo locked the door.

8km today very nice and warm here, about 22C at 7am. Today I did not feel any pain in my groin, in the lat couple if days I did a lot of roller massage, also a bit of yoga (more specifically for my ankles). And hopefully this has sorted out my adductor problem !

Tomorrow we are meeting first time with other fellow bf runners in Sydney for a light park run, looking forward to it !

Will post some pictures

5 miles, on the some more pretty, snowy, hilly trails at our local nature center.
It was COLD, temp was 23F or so not so bad but a big ole wind chill with 20mph winds. Gear on body and soft stars kept my body warm as long as I didn't stop for more than a few seconds at a time, but my nose wasn't happy about the wind.
Legs tired again, but not sore, and a good, all over tired that I could feel later at the gym while doing ST, well, we shall see in the am. I stopped many times to take pics, to catch my breath at the very steep slippery climbs, to inch my way down steep declines, to admire the scenery. Still felt like quite a workout by the end, though. Great way to say goodbye to my Christmas break and hello to a new semester.

late Friday afternoon
4.73 mi / 7.6 km running
6 miles overall
30 F / -1 C, light wind
9.62 miles running for the week

I did a decent version of my pre-run rolling and stretching routine, then headed out for my first full run in my Bare Access running shoes. I noticed I did a light heel-strike at times, but most of the time it felt like a mid-foot or flat-foot landing, and I could see my foot was landing under my COM/COG, so I didn't try to consciously manipulate anything.

I was going to do a proper out-n-back route, but decided to stick to my fairgrounds loops in case my ITBS flared up. I kind of miss my forays into urban geography, and the feeling of completing a little journey, but I also like the nearly absolute tranquility of running on the empty off-season fairgrounds roads and sidewalks, where there's just the occasion cop car, grounds worker pickup, or sporadic commuters dispersing from the adjoining UofM ag school parking lots.

The idea was to add another mile to my last run, and do four miles. Post-illness & frost-nip, I want to build up a mile per run until I got back up to 6-7 miles, then hold steady at that distance on my three weekly runs (Tu, Th, Sat) for a week or two before starting to increase my third and last weekly run, my weekend run, one mile per month. So January would end with a week of 6-7 miles first run, 6-7 miles second run, and 7 miles third run. Then February's thrice-weekly runs would consist of 6-7 miles on the first run, 6-7 miles on the second, and 8 miles on the third weekly run. March's weekly running routine would be 6-7 miles first run, 6-7 miles second run, and 9 miles third run. And so on, ending the year with 18 miles as my weekly weekend long run. This will total to about 1250 miles, or 2013 kilometers, in 2013, if all goes well. (Nick will appreciate that I have this all laid out on an Excel worksheet.)

But I was feeling good so I decided to try five miles. That was a mistake. Just after four miles I started to feel my right iliotibial band strain slightly at the knee. I had already stopped to stretch twice before it came on, once at 1.17 miles, and again after the first 1.7-mile loop, as a preventative, but now I had to stop every quarter mile or so, as a curative. Shoulda stuck to the original plan of adding just one mile to my previous run; four miles turns out to have indeed been the correct distance for the day. Oh well. After a couple of stops I decided to call it a day and not risk aggravating it, and walked the rest of the way to my daughter's kindergarten/Discovery club, picked her up, and walked home with her in the lovely darkness of winter. She insisted on walking on the snow banks. I was a bit impatient to get home and get grilling our beef skewers, but I didn't want to interrupt the joy of a child playfully interacting with her transformed landscape.

Later today I'll do my TOP ST. Tomorrow I might try running barefoot again. My toes' heat sensitivity seems to have just about passed, and I did OK yesterday walking outside bare while prepping the car for my wife. Forecast is for highs in the 20s all this coming week, with no snow, so conditions will be favorable for a return to skin-to-ground sensuousness and authenticity. Still, running with proper running shoes hasn't been as annoying as I thought it would be, and it's kind of nice not having to look so carefully at the ground just ahead.

Stick to the plan Bare, stick to the plan. You will get there, believe me.

Stick to the plan Bare, stick to the plan. You will get there, believe me.
Thanks for the encouragement Bob :). I know I will. It may not even be this year. I'm prepared to back off on every run, each weekly mileage sum, any yearly goal, or any particular race, at the first sign of trouble. Running an hour a day three times a week is my base goal. That in itself is enough, and that's what I had with minimal effort last summer and back in Chicago. Anything on top of that is gravy. But I do feel greater attention to preparation and lower-body strength-training will put me in good stead this year. Just gotta learn not to be greedy. Even so, hearing of how you overcame real adversity, and not just minor niggles as in my case, is a continuing inspiration. Who knows, maybe next winter I may even be able to challenge you and Rick for winter running mileage! Hopefully it will be one of my last winters in the Midwest, so I have to take advantage :p .

(Nick will appreciate that I have this all laid out on an Excel worksheet.)
Does yours have a monthly and weekly total that auto populates as you enter in your daily mileage? I made mine a little better this year than last years and I absolutely love it. I think it looks pretty nice and clean and I fixed the annoying errors that popped up in each new month (wasn't an error so much as Excel thought it was an error so I had to click ignore each new month). I can't seem to figure out how to put a copy on here for you to look at. I could email it to you if you wanted to look and see if it would work for you. I also log my weight and ST on it. Kind of nice to be able to track and see EVERYTHING that I do.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Does yours have a monthly and weekly total that auto populates as you enter in your daily mileage? I made mine a little better this year than last years and I absolutely love it. I think it looks pretty nice and clean and I fixed the annoying errors that popped up in each new month (wasn't an error so much as Excel thought it was an error so I had to click ignore each new month). I can't seem to figure out how to put a copy on here for you to look at. I could email it to you if you wanted to look and see if it would work for you. I also log my weight and ST on it. Kind of nice to be able to track and see EVERYTHING that I do.
Oh yeah! I even got Celcius, kilometers, laps, and winter challenge mileage cells. I just sent it to you via FB. Now the NSA knows how fit we are.

Reactions: NickW
Yah, I like being able to keep track of my type of miles. Well, I had to take an Excel class last year as a requirement so I learned how to create tables and write formulas and do all sorts of neat things in Excel. Who would have thought I would use this knowledge for my own personal stuff, like a family budget and running miles?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yah, I like being able to keep track of my type of miles. Well, I had to take an Excel class last year as a requirement so I learned how to create tables and write formulas and do all sorts of neat things in Excel. Who would have thought I would use this knowledge for my own personal stuff, like a family budget and running miles?
Yah, I like Excel, especially for family accounting but now I've become my folks' accountant as well, which is kind of annoying. I'll have to add some colors to my fitness sheet as well . . .

Reactions: NickW
For me, it just makes it easier to visually see what I am looking at if I create it as a table vs just putting headers and blank spots for where I want stuff to go. It did take me about an hour though to create and write all the formulas while I was trying to feed my son lunch at the same time.

For me, it just makes it easier to visually see what I am looking at if I create it as a table vs just putting headers and blank spots for where I want stuff to go. It did take me about an hour though to create and write all the formulas while I was trying to feed my son lunch at the same time.
I have so many categories and formulas in mine though, I don't know if colors would really help clarify the visual field.
Dorks! I hate excel because I use it all day.
Guilty as charged, although once the formulas are set up, it only takes me a minute post-run to enter in the (meaningless) data.
7 mile trail run today. Lee I think running uphill actually helped my IT pain. Although I did wear pants to keep my legs warm, so it could be one or the other.
I think I just need to build up slowly whenever I take significant time off. I'll probably try the same or less mileage tomorrow, and maybe do faster, shorter intervals. I do have some minor hills on my routes, but I'm staying away from hill sprints just in case the collective wisdom on ITBS applies to my case. In any case, the ITB strain was extremely minor yesterday, and I shut it down before it amounted to anything. I'll just let it dictate how fast I can build up again. One thing is I didn't use my knee braces yesterday, just the ITB strap, so I'll put those back on and see if the Monica Lewinsky look helps.

P.S., just had a nice ST session.

Rode the spinning bike yesterday for 75 minutes with the power intervals. My feet got even more sensitive yesterday and I was kind of freaked out. The best I can figure, after reading a bunch online about frostnip, is that the cement was just colder than I thought it was. There were heaters on and I didn't feel the need for a sweater even while dancing, but it was only about 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside, just on the other side of the garage door.... I had to break down and start wearing socks around the house yesterday because of the burning prickly sensation. The toes are definitely red and somewhat swollen. I'm finally feeling like it is getting better today, but the thought of running is very unpleasant. Sigh. Will plan on another 75 minutes on the bike today. One day at a time.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS