Mileage reporting 19th week 2014

Head cold as of yesterday,
so taking it easy,
so another mediocre week of running.
Just as well,
the road grit was starting to get to me.
I don't think it's going to snow anymore.
Can we please sweep the streets now?
Two days ago was particularly bad.
I think I was hitting pretty much every stone in my path.
One of the joys of running in dim lighting I guess.
Still, I no longer wince or buckle like I once did.
The daily early morning running is inuring me to pain.
The sandals will be pretty sweet with just a couple minor tweaks.
You've become our sandal master.

You've become our sandal master.
Haha! Funny, but I don't think so. We have Steven and Terrell that are members here too. They are the sandal masters. Actually, no offense to them or Ted or any other sandal people that may be able to see stuff on here, but because of them I hesitate to put pictures of my sandals on here. They are unique compared to any minimalist sandals I've seen so far (although Terrals Unshoes are somewhat similar) and I may decide to try to sell them at some point, maybe.... If I put photos up here it would be pretty easy for someone to take the idea and perfect it or alter it slightly and make it theirs.... I really do think there are better folks than me to make this stuff, I just have a heck of a time finding footwear that fits my odd feet so I have to make my own custom sandals. Thanks to the Army I learned how to sew by hand and thanks to my own stubbornness I keep with something in an attempt to perfect it... Maybe one of them wants to take the idea and make good clean versions for me and then sell the rest. Maybe call me the idea guy. :) Lol!

First run of the week today 10.5km/6.5mi, yeah I know, I have been slacking the whole week, while I was in Brisbane....

But the run today was really worth it. Trail race in Botany bay (where Captain Cook first set foot in Australia), very scenic along the coast, a bit of forest trail, then a nice section on sandstone, dunes, then return. I managed to hit my right foot again on roots, nothing major, but still hurts !!

Hardest part was the dunes, specially uphill, but boy did I enjoy running on sandstone, that was awesome !! I need to do that again

Since it was an official race, a few photographer along the course, as soon as I have pictures I'll post them

With my feet getting more sensitive (combination of wet and cold weather), I initially wanted to do it with my Vivo Barefoot, but I decided to leave them in the car at the last minute, and I don't regret it, that was fun !

Me in full action !!
IMG_0789.jpg

10.3 slow easy miles this morning. Need to get my lazy ass out of bed earlier, starting at 8:00 on a full sunny and humid day makes it tough at the end of a long run. Oh well, got the miles I wanted in

First run of the week today 10.5km/6.5mi, yeah I know, I have been slacking the whole week, while I was in Brisbane....

But the run today was really worth it. Trail race in Botany bay (where Captain Cook first set foot in Australia), very scenic along the coast, a bit of forest trail, then a nice section on sandstone, dunes, then return. I managed to hit my right foot again on roots, nothing major, but still hurts !!

Hardest part was the dunes, specially uphill, but boy did I enjoy running on sandstone, that was awesome !! I need to do that again

Since it was an official race, a few photographer along the course, as soon as I have pictures I'll post them

With my feet getting more sensitive (combination of wet and cold weather), I initially wanted to do it with my Vivo Barefoot, but I decided to leave them in the car at the last minute, and I don't regret it, that was fun !

That sounds like a lovely run.

Yesterday, I got to take care of my almost 2 year old grandson all day because his mommy and sister were sick with fevers. I was still planning on getting in some spin bike time, but the best place for his nap was in the room where the bikes were....

This morning, got out relatively early for me and was running 4.3 miles around my pond loop by 8:30 AM in damp, cool conditions or 44°F. That is usually my lower limit for damp cold, but the sun was coming out and somehow spring made it more doable. Met one mama duck who was acting like a mama bear, ready to defend her cute fuzzy ducklings crossing the path. I tried to tell her I wasn't a threat, but I don't think she believed me.

Will be doing a lot of squats today for planting the garden.

Half marathon in one week. I think I will have to use at least superglue on the trouble spot, like I did this morning, as it is still a problem.

Friday - 1 hour 6 minutes running local roads...warm and humid with a nice cooling breeze...afterwards checked my Garmin about 7.3 miles at an aerobic pace didn't walk any on the uphills like i usually do.

today - kicked back with family so no running toady to finish the week...easy low mileage as a recovery week

Much less running than usual this week as family is visiting but I got in a loop of Central Park right before a big 10 km race started. The 2 leaders had covered a little over 2 miles when they passed me traveling at about 4:20 pace - they were very graceful. I chugged around my 7 mile loop at a little over half that speed :)

A little over 18 miles on the week.

A little better than last week, but st a lot worse. Head cold has stabilized so hopefully tomorrow I can get in a nice short run in the morning before celebrating my wife's fecundity together with its fruits on a nice picnic by a lake.

Then starting Monday a four-day-weekly st routine inspired by my discussions with Abide and by reading Mark Rippetoe's books along with a few blogs on the meathead sites. Before a month or two ago, I had no idea of the conceptual complexity underlying strength training at the intermediate level, but there are a lot of factors and logics to take into account. I'm going to go for full-body workouts but with variations in intensity and volume and different combinations of exercises in order to provoke better adaptations.

Meanwhile, there's still some hope I'll put together a full week of early morning 5Ks. Street sweeper 'no parking' signs have been posted for Monday on my neighborhood's east-west streets, so relief from winter grit is in sight.

That's cool. Good luck with your enterprise!
I really struggle with this Sid. I don't have the time nor the resources to be able to start my own business. But... then I wonder and think I would like to work for myself. While I think it's a great idea and sandal, I think it would be incredibly difficult to mass produce... Maybe I'll just put the pics on here and if someone is able to take it and mass produce it so be it.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I really struggle with this Sid. I don't have the time nor the resources to be able to start my own business. But... then I wonder and think I would like to work for myself. While I think it's a great idea and sandal, I think it would be incredibly difficult to mass produce... Maybe I'll just put the pics on here and if someone is able to take it and mass produce it so be it.
Well, lots of small businesses start in the home, so don't get discouraged.

It's hard to sell a product without showing the world what it is. If your materials are off the shelf, then certainly, someone could try to duplicate your products. However, just as you would find it challenging to start a business, they may likely face the same challenges.

Think about if your product is easy to construct, because that will determine if it can be mass produced in volume or copied.
If your product is so custom tailored, that each sandal must be fit individually to each foot, then it would certainly be a niche product.

Think about the cost of your time, materials, construction. Add that up and think about how much you would need to sell it for, to be worth your time. Then look at your competitors prices, too.

Good luck!

8 km this morning in the annual "Mothers Day Classic" fun run in Geelong. I ran BF in a pair of my wife's pyjamas and a pink nightcap that I sewed together the night before. Lots of fun, and ran a pretty good time for me. Full report on the way if I can find some pictures - I was accosted by a few photographers at the end so I should be able to find some soon.

Well, lots of small businesses start in the home, so don't get discouraged.

It's hard to sell a product without showing the world what it is. If your materials are off the shelf, then certainly, someone could try to duplicate your products. However, just as you would find it challenging to start a business, they may likely face the same challenges.

Think about if your product is easy to construct, because that will determine if it can be mass produced in volume or copied.
If your product is so custom tailored, that each sandal must be fit individually to each foot, then it would certainly be a niche product.

Think about the cost of your time, materials, construction. Add that up and think about how much you would need to sell it for, to be worth your time. Then look at your competitors prices, too.

Good luck!
Yep that is all in my consideration, and they do have to be custom tailored to the individual, which jacks up the costs. I think you could get away with minimal customization but would lose out on some business because the sandals still wont fit everyone unless fully customizing the laces as well. But, maybe with a little smarts one could figure out a general design that works for most foot thicknesses as well as most ankle sizes. If you could figure out that, then really if you just customize the sole to the individual that makes it much easier to do and with less cost. If I had a sewing machine that would streamline the process as well (right now I just sew by hand).

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
they do have to be custom tailored to the individual, which jacks up the costs
Unshoes uses templates. Maybe something like that would work? Some places ask that the customer mail in tracings and measurements for custom moccasins.
But, maybe with a little smarts one could figure out a general design that works for most foot thicknesses as well as most ankle sizes.
Can you install straps or clips to make them adjustable?

Good kuck!

Unshoes uses templates. Maybe something like that would work? Some places ask that the customer mail in tracings and measurements for custom moccasins.
Can you install straps or clips to make them adjustable?

Good kuck!
They have velcro on them right now as I'm not big on buckles and clips because buckles can cause irritation of the skin or just painful spots. There are some little things I could do to tweak them to make them work a bit better for everyone. I'll see if I can get on my computer to shrink my pictures of them so I can download them on here later today or tomorrow. For some reason the site doesn't let me download pictures unless I shrink them, no matter how I took them, whether by phone or my nice cannon dslr.

Reactions: Sid