Mileage reporting 17th week 2014

Larry

Barefooters
Sep 13, 2012
Happy Easter everybody.

15km for me this morning on the beach. It was meant to be 11, but I was feeling good, and I remembered that my Brother-in-law wants me to do 19 with him next weekend when I'm on holidays in his hometown, so I needed to get a long run under my belt for a bit of confidence. No knee kniggles. FGLG. Brilliant!

The BIL is planning on running a marathon in early July, and has hinted that he wants me to do it too. I don't think I've got enough running behind me to do it confidently, but he has less of a base and thinks he's on track to do it easy. My plan was all mapped out with a half this year and a marathon next year, but I may be tempted to push myself if he's going to spend a year reminding me that I wimped out if I don't do it. I'm a little torn. Anyway, I'm rambling. Maybe this is a question for another thread. Happy week 17 everybody!

Finally being fully healthy again let me hit a new weekly mileage high of 36.6 miles last week. Which also got me back in front of the runningahead.com 1000 miles in a year pace bunny.

I was up this morning and ran 2.35 miles. Legs felt pretty good considering how I just went up over 35 miles in a week for the first time ever.

3.5 easy recovery miles this morning.

After I got home from work yesterday, I watched the DVR recording of the Boston Marathon. What a great race by Meb. It maybe even helped to get me out of bed this morning. I felt a bit creaky when I woke up, but thought of how Meb made his break from the pack and then eventually from Boit, and had only himself and whatever inspires him to keep him going.

Then once I got running, it felt really good to run a comfortable relaxed pace and get the blood flowing.

Yesterday I planned to do a little drinking then a little hiking. Only made it as far as the drinking.
Today I got in a 2.5 mile hike (with a bit of running) at lunch time.

I trust you drink barefoot, right?

Great 5 mile run at 4:45 am. 63 deg f. 95% rh
Heard another rooster crow.
Saw rabbits and one opossum.
Very nice, got some flow.

Monday: about an hour swim, lunch
evening: weights

Tuesday: am 2.5 mi, cool and windy (~40F)
lunch: ~45 min swim
evening: guessing 2.5 mi around a little loop around a pond in the park across the street from where my daughter has swim, while my son ran around the playground making friends with kids. That boy is so not shy.

Sunday - 12 shod miles of course work for an Ultra next month on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Monday - 24 mile hike. A different version of a Rim to River to Rim. This was on the Bill Hall trail to Thunder river to the Colorado river and back. http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/Thunder_River_Trail.pdf My son made it to the waterfall and back for an 18 mile hike. Rugged, hot hike with some slight dehydration and cramping, but great heat training and pace training. All of the backpackers that I talked to thought it was crazy to do it as a day hike, even heard one lady comment to another that I was the type that the rangers had to rescue often. I didn't let it bother me, they tend to be overly cautious and just concerned. Others made positive comments and were quite impressed. The middle part of the hike was a 3 mile slick rock section with some sandy trail. Saw some barefoot tracks. Anyone there on Easter Sunday? Thea, John? Can't imagine any of the other parts of the trail being done barefoot, extremely technical and rocky.

3.92 miles barefoot at a 9'12" pace. There is a running club here that meets on Tuesday evenings from April through October and does a 5k route. Tonight was the first group run of the year. They meet just a few blocks from my house, so I generally run over, do the 5k, and then run home. I did the entire route barefooted in the season last year, and have done that route barefooted several times on my own. Tonight, I did the whole thing BF, and did the 5k portion in :28:23, which I believe (from what I can find in my log book, at least) is my 5k PR. There were two sub-9 minute miles during the 5k route. HOWEVER... after standing around after the run and visiting with folks I hadn't seen since October for a half an hour or so, I was a LOT slower when I started running the .3 miles back to the house! That wasn't the feet as much as my quads. I had done an 8 mile trail run with a 1500 foot descent and climb yesterday (in Altra Lone Peaks), so my legs were a little thrashed.

14.3km/8.9mi today, first run of the week, did lots of hills. I have now registered for another trail run early May in preparation of the half marathon trail with kalipyjamas, murls and George, planned later in June. So my program is quite packed for the next few months

May 10 10km trail
May 18 Sydney half marathon
June 16 glow worm trail half marathon (trail but not yet 100% decided if I do it)

2.5 miles today, first 2 miles very easy, then went with a hard half-mile finish. A little creaky waking up again today, thanks to popping awake during the night and not falling back asleep for around 2.5 hours.

About 40 minutes on treadmill in my luna originals. Man I love them so much. Kinda got some stress so was trying to burn it off, but unfortunately we forgot to go to store yesterday so I ate a different breakfast than normal (oatmeal) and while considerably more calories it sure isn't a great fuel source for me and I felt weak and shaky about halfway through the run so I had to cut the run shorter than I had planned. Lesson learned I guess.