Mileage report 20th week 2014

Ran 7.01 miles with my little girl. Did 2.5 miles in my homemade sandals and rest in my luna mono's. Felt really good and avg'd a 9:52 pace despite the much warmer temps than we are used to. My running seems to be really coming along pretty well which I am very happy for. Starting to think I just might be able to do the 20k trail race on the coast range I been looking at which is at end of the summer. Losing weight, feeling good, healthy, and running well, crap, getting scared because I don't know what this is like.... :)

Good Morning Nick, I'm in Xeroshoes for the last 3 months and its been a life-changing experience for me. Sometimes I wish I could "tweak" the Xeroshoe....so long story short I just read your post and saw "Did 2.5miles in my homemade sandals" please tell me more about this? Got any photo's? I got myself a factory that's willing to make me leather Xeroshoes if I just send them a sample (which is a bit difficult, since I only have one pair)..would love to hear from you/see your shoes, if you don't mind? Have a great day.

Reactions: NickW
Good Morning Nick, I'm in Xeroshoes for the last 3 months and its been a life-changing experience for me. Sometimes I wish I could "tweak" the Xeroshoe....so long story short I just read your post and saw "Did 2.5miles in my homemade sandals" please tell me more about this? Got any photo's? I got myself a factory that's willing to make me leather Xeroshoes if I just send them a sample (which is a bit difficult, since I only have one pair)..would love to hear from you/see your shoes, if you don't mind? Have a great day.
Hey Blu3yy, here's a link tht shows two different pair of mine, as well as some that Sid has made. http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/mileage-reporting-19th-week-2014.16126/page-4
Here's another link to some others that I made that I really loved. They felt better to me than any mass produced commercial sandal, but you had to wear them a bit tighter with the laces than what you would the commercial store bought ones.
http://thebarefootweave.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/homemade-huaraches/

Reactions: Sid
Wed - 1 hour 6 minute run local roads hi 70'sF....felt kinda hot the last mile as pavement heated up...had to
swerve over onto the painted white lines some near the end.

Today - 57 minute trail run, 1 lap around lake on inner loop at Ft Yargo park. Ground was soft and muddy in some
spots went out mid speed pace with a few faster surges thrown in here and there about 6 miles.

50 minutes on the treadmill in my luna monos again. Did an endurance heart rate program and it whipped my butt pretty bad. About 800 feet of elevation. My heart rate stayed between 145 and 159 once I got warmed up. Man after the first 10 minutes I didn't know if I was gonna make it much further. At 20 minutes I was seriously contemplating quitting. Then at around 30 I thought, well hell I've made it this far I might as well keep going and finish the program. Man it sucks while doing it, but it is rewarding when you finish. Most of the time the incline did not get below 4% and at one point it hit 15%! Ugh that sucked. Anyhow, now I am just about to head over to inlaws to house sit for the weekend. With 16 horses, 3 dogs, and 2 cats it keeps one pretty busy over there, but it's also nice because they are way out in the country. No trains, not much for noises at night other than the crickets. Can't wait for a couple nights of good sleep!

Very nice 4 mile run at 4:45 am 63 deg. f. big ole moon is back very cool.

One mile.

Had a mild headache all day yester-day, but cold symptoms otherwise all but gone. Then slept almost nine hours, woke up OK, put on shorts for the first time, balmy 39F no windchill, heading for the river, then stubbed my toe after a mile!

Whatadork! I guess I was running too slow.

Nothing serious, but best wait to see how it is in an hour or two. I ran 10 miles on a bloody toe late November and it took weeks for it to return to normal. So will be a bit more preventative this time around. Hopefully it'll feel fine by afternoon and I'll get in that run down by the river after all. A whole week without exercise and I'm starting to atrophy into a couch potato--poor sleep, poor appetite, lethargic, and so on.

What a beautiful morning for a run. Had thought to do 10 to 12 miles, but the weather felt so good and I felt good too so it turned into 13.1 miles, very low HR except for the last 2 miles when I pushed it some. Avg HR for the run was 134, same as a similar length long run back in February when it was 20 degrees cooler. I ran that in 2:12:59.64.

This morning I did it in 2:09:24.48. Splits with time and average HR:

Mile 1 -- 10:52, 126
Mile 2 -- 10:18, 132
Mile 3 -- 9:36, 133
Mile 4 -- 9:37, 133
Mile 5 -- 9:59, 135
Mile 6 -- 9:43, 132
Mile 7 -- 10:05, 134
Mile 8 -- 9:48, 135
Mile 9 -- 9:57, 136
Mile 10 -- 10:00, 136
Mile 11 -- 10:03, 135
Mile 12 - 9:22, 138
Mile 13 -- 9:03, 140
and .11 -- 1:01, 145

Do you live near a rail line? My freshman dorm was right next to a one. The local power plant would get deliveries of coal in the middle of the night. One could feel the whole building shake as it went by!
A block and a half away and the trains go by several times an hour. Even in middle of the night. Worst part is you hear the trains even more in the bedrooms than if you are in any other room of the house.

Reactions: Sid
3 miles, maybe more on a great t-shirt day finally. Easy pace, working on breathing and relaxing while running. While on my run a lady working on her yard asked me how my feet were doing to which I replied they felt great, than as I went by she added they they probably feel better now than what they felt like in the winter. I guess she must have seen a couple of time while I was putting in winter challenge runs. :)

Some racing today with my son out at my inlaws and playing tag with him. A lot of fun and great exercise too. I wish we had this much land to run on at our place. Amazing how well I can cut in my luna monos. I thought doing stuff like that in sandals would be near impossible as I didn't think the feet woul stay in them, but surprisingly my feet felt like they had a lot of grip in them. This would have been a different story had it been wet out I'm sure, but it's nice to know I can do that in them.

Half marathon today 21km/13.1mi. Wonderful crowd of about 11'000 around the streets of Sydney CBD.

I had some very nice comments along the way, everyone with very supportive comments.

I saw a couple of other barefoot runners, tried to catch them, but they were too fast for me ! :mad:

Goal was under 2h, and I think I achieved that, don't have the official time yet, but I think around 1h55'