Merrell Road Glove Review

barefoot kean

Barefooters
Jun 3, 2010
Anchorage
This was the one shoe that I couldn't wait to get my hands on, it seemed like the perfect shoe for those days/events that I had to wear shoes. Over-all its a great shoe, but there is just one thing that annoys the dickens out of me, but first Ill go over its good qualities.

You can wear them while barefoot, they have an awesome lining that doesn't chafe your foot anywhere from seems or other. The ventilation is really good, you can feel the wind on your foot. As compared to its predecessors it doesn't feel like a negative heel drop, which is nice, and the key reason I didn't get a trail glove and waited for the road glove. It has decentish ground feel and good sole durability (its 4mm I think, might want to double check that). The toe box is perfect for my foot, however any smaller and I would not be happy. So, if any of you have wide feet Id suggest a different shoe. Finally, they are great to run in. I don't run in shoes often, but these don't seem to cause me to change my form much, if at all. All in all this is a great product and would be my shoe of choice that I would try and stock up on, except for that one thing.

Now to the One bad thing about this shoe, the thing that annoys me to no end... The molded arch. While researching this shoe I read a review about the trail glove, and he mentioned that it has a molded arch, but all it does is provide shoe mid-foot support, and doesn't actually have any arch support. I disagree. When I first put on the shoe I felt the support instantly, and both my feet started hurting due to the support. But I put trust in the review (because it came from a source I trusted) that there wasn't actually any support, so I just figured I needed to break them in and the sensation of support would go away. Nope. It has been several months now and its still there, as a result of the support, after prolonged wear on my feet, my feet start hurting due to the support. (this is in comparison to my converse, which I can wear all day no problem. I mention this as to point out that its not shoes in general that hurt, its support). So long story short it has arch support, it may be less then a regular shoe, but its there and it sucks.

Closing remarks. I love everything about this shoe, except for the arch, and I have a feeling that it will be the number 1 seller in the minimal market. That being said, if anything its a transition shoe for people who think our feet need arch support. To any true barefooter I would not recommend this shoe. It saddens me to say that as its a great product, I just can not get over the arch. Only reason I still wear them is I payed $110 for em, and since I payed that much I'm sure as hell gunna get use out of them.

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
I tried those on in the store and would have loved them if not for that arch support. I immediately had arch pain after a couple minutes walking around the store. Glad I didn't buy them and I trusted my gut instincts on them. They also have a new product called the Bare Access that is more anatomically correct. The only problem for me is my wide feet so I can't fit width wise in them. I think those may be a good alternative to their Road Glove. If I remember correctly it is flat on the inside as well, no arch support.

That's interesting. I've seen a lot of people posting that the arch in the road glove feels very different to that in the trail glove and has caused them problems.

I've had my trail gloves for about a year now and don't find the arch intrusive or supportive at all, more giving your foot a gentle hug. I wonder if they've changed anything in the construction between the two?

Of course if Merrell were to decide to send me a pair to test, I do run quite a lot of my miles on roads after all.....;)

Yeah it's real different. The best description I could think of when the guy at Gazelle Sports asked me what i thought was: "you know how the trail glove feels like there is a stick under the ball of your foot (the rock plate makes it feel like that for me anyway)? The road glove feels like they moved the stick to a spot under my arch instead".

The guy said he knew what I meant and that it was pretty much his opinion as well (he's kind of their resident minimalist runner). I would up going with a pair of bare access (I was buying something for work) because despite the cushioning they were far more comfortable.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS