Member Profile of the Week - Peggy, a.k.a., “Cali Girl” - She's got all the right ingredients

afc5k_2010_cr_0.jpg

Member Profile of the WeekPeggy, a.k.a., “Cali Girl”She's got all the right ingredients
Peggy, or "Cali Girl" to the club, is 38 year-old writer, originally from Imperial Valley, California. She is a fairly new resident of Highland, California, where in addition to two grown children, she’s raising two young ones along with the two dogs Toby and Dancer; two cats, Pippen and Bailey; and lastly, Bongo the Chinchilla. A true California girl, Peggy likes to play outside, especially in the garden, on the beach, or hiking. She also loves to cook and bake, and the cake-decorating classes she's taking are furthering her baking skills. Reading and spending time with friends and family are close to her heart, as well as expanding her circle of friends to include new ones.

Cali Girl has been running since about the same time she joined the BRS, which coincided with the BRS going live last year. Her most memorable running experience was the day she was stopped by an unmarked police car: "The officer was intrigued to see a barefoot runner and asked lots of questions about running bare. I tend to get all sorts of looks/reactions, but most are at least cordial." As a new runner, Peggy's favorite distance is as far as she can go, or about 2.5 miles. Her favorite race was her one and only, until recently, the America’s Finest City. "It was my first and only 5K besides the San Diego Mud Run that I just completed with my daughter a couple of weeks ago."

Cali Girl says she is a barefoot and minimalist runner now because "Every single time I would try running with shoes I would have a horrible case of shin splints and knee pain within a week’s time. Since going bare/minimal, I have not had problems with either affliction." Cheers to that! Running is enjoyable for her on a very personal level: "It is helping me attain the goal of being healthier, which is a promise I made to my mother before her passing, as well as to myself and to my kids. I want to be around for a long time to come."

More fun facts about Peggy: "I was a firefighter for ten years before deciding to work from home where I now answer to an editor I lovingly refer to as the 'Comma Nazi' instead of the 'Chief'. The only other thing folks might find interesting or unusual is that I am in an alternative type relationship, a triad, where my partners and I all live in the same home. Otherwise, I’m just your typical, everyday crazy person." Well, Cali Girl, odd is our normal here!

Cali Girl's reason for joining the Barefoot Runners Society captures the spirit of the club nicely: "It’s a place where like minded people can share and help one another no matter whether you are a beginner or have loads of experience." And she sums up with a shoutout: "Thank you for all the hard work you guys do!" If it weren't for all the new members and experiences, there wouldn't be as much to do, so thank you too and happy running!

Cali_SDmudrun2011.jpg

I started running in May, 2010, BF from the first steps. I've since gotten the hang of running in VFF Bikilas if conditions warrant for weather, terrain, or for a race. [I]Flash!: I just got myself a pair of VFF Spyridons for rougher terrain and...
View all 11 featured items
lol That is funny. Don't see poly folks too often, or at least those who admit it. All the best to you and yours.