Member Blog of the Week - DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ on Running. Test Your Body and Find Ou

longtrail.jpg

Member Blog of the WeekDO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ on Running.Test Your Body and Find Out For Yourself!By Jarod
It all started with me pacing back and forth in front of the front door. The voice telling me to take the day off. My legs and feet were hurting. Do not run, it would say. The...

No wait, it all started the day before, when I ran 20 miles in ice, half hills. I am currently trying to get my miles up weekly for once and doing a semi proper training regime for 2 Ultramarathons I have in April: the 44 mile Brew to Brew and the almighty Free State Trail Run 100k. So I've been trying to hit a back to back long run on weekends. This weekend was no exception.

I awoke today with six things in mind. Each are part of my human experiment project, starring me. I'm sick of reading things everywhere about health and running and being advised on it all and more in this life. It's all over the place, all sides stating they are right, buy this, bleh bleh bleh. We are not zombies if we do nto want to be. I want to experience things for myself. That is what any of us can do.

I see people at 5k races with the Batman belt on, full of life saving goodies like Gu and water and cool-aide when I doubt it is ever needed ever. I see people doing this in 10ks as well as half marathons. It seems likely it is needed in full marathons and more, especially in warmer weather, but still, we can only know by trying and testing; no need to blindly believe or apply your baised logic to it. I have some theories of my own and yes I am aware of the many variables that are not included below. I keet it simple, aimed FOR me, as all of our bodies are different, and based it on an equation of 45 degrees and under and no rigorous pace.

The six things are:

1. Run a full marathon distance for the first time ever non race.

2. If I do 1., bring no water - I want to know if how thirsty I'll get or if it's really even needed for me in this weather: 45 degrees and under, cold wind.

3. If I do 1., bring only a bit of extra calories - 3 dates is all. I wanted to hit the wall to be honest, my roomate was home to call, I brought my phone, and I want to know if I need to bring extra calories for long runs. I'm sick of wondering.

4. If I do 1., do not walk - I have walked in all my marathons for at least a few minutes

5. Wear the Huaraches, aka Luna Sandals Leadville version - the furthest I've gone is 10 miles in these sandals and I want to wear them in the 100k. Big concern is rubbing in between the toes. Let's find out.

6. Put nothing on the nipples - I am curious if I need to at this point. It was cold enough to keep them sticking out, but would they chaff?

Yes this is alot of things, but I've learned I should test this stuff in training and not in races, after the MAJOR FAIL in late November I have yet to write about but will soon.

Back to the house and me about to take off with all the above in mind: I didn't want to leave though. My ego was really convincing. It was not as warm as predicted. It was uber foggy. I had prepped: I had eaten 13 oranges, a bite of chia seeds, and a 2 cup drink of water, ready to face my test challenges. But it left me with pacing in front of the front door, trying to talk myself out of leaving. In perfect time, when my roomate Paco left his room and said good morning, it was enough to remind me to observe what I was doing, which made me laugh, then simply listen to the voice, which made it disappear. It was time to run!

I decided as I left to run the old Indian Creek Trail I ran last summer, only this time, I'd run further than ever before. There was still snow on the gorund but it was melting and the streets and sidewalks were mostly clear. That meant the trail would be similar, except maybe it's bridges.

So I took off, and slow as hell. My ankles were very sore from prior days run in ice, and I was worn out, in slow mo, but I had no concern of time, as usual and I kept on, eventually speeding up. The trail is paved, so it isn't exactly a trail trail, but it's easy nonetheless.

I ran to the half way 13 mile point, stopped, stretched and ate my 3 dates. Talked to my Bro briefly, finding out he was on his way over, and headed back. Things felt fine this far: the energy, the thirst situation, and the sandals had rocked! I had many puddles and quasi streams to run through and even some off roading shortcuts to take. The sandals were not rubbing and really were perfect. 100 Point Bonus! Return movement time.

The second half I was going slower, sometimes alot. This is due to all of the above and is exactly what I wanted. The scenery was beautiful, snow on the trees, the creek flowing next to me with that smell I love, running through goose flocks, them watching me as I watched them, saying hello. I even THREE times ran with some squirrels: they wouldn't run off as I approached, but instead started running parallel to me as I continued, looking at them puzzled, one being 5 feet to my left, jumping up the step wall next to me like Sonic the Hedgehog. It was going my pace.

I passed many people, from dog walkers, to other runners and bikers. Not too many, though. The runners did not look happy today, most of them hooked up to some music to get them by. I enjoyed natures music myself. At one point an older man ran by me and told me with the 'tude: "You are going to destroy your feet in those". I don't usually reply like I did but to promote unshoes I looked at my watch and replied "Well, I'm at mile 22 and I still feel pretty good". He didn't say anything more.

I pee'd about 20 times, for whatever reason, throughout the run, reminding me of the 50 miler I had done on Halloween. No idea.

As I approached the 4 hour mark, I realized I was actually really close to beating my fastest marathon in time. I was beat, time was slowing, and I had been running nearly 2 minutes slower than the first time around. Screw it, let's go faster and try and beat it! I want the wall to show it's ugly face, and if anything, this could do it!

I busted out going hard, feeling good to breathe a bit harder. I had about 3.5 miles to hit, give or take, to get home. I ran through puddles, passed people looking at me funny, and learning about things. But forgetting one thing: the half mile uphill to get to my street once off the trail. I didn't stop until I was at the house: check #4.

I cannot be sure, but I am pretty certain I was faster than my fastest marathon before by about a minute. I ran a full marathon, wore the Luna Sandals, which did NOT rub or cause any blisters. I did not hit the wall, or get over thirsty (my pee even at the end was pretty clea
r), I didn't require any more calories, although I would suggest it nonetheless as it probably would have made things easier near the end. I did not walk, although I did stop and stretch, zoning out in nature, forgetting that idea for a few. And my nipples did not chaff, yet are still hard because this kind of thing excites me.
wink.png

The Verdict: DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ. Test your body and find out for yourself!

A Journey Into Barefoot-ism

Thanks for the blog. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and found them very encouraging. Personally, I have felt quite dizzied lately by all the advice out there and forgotten to simply listen to my own body, trust my own gut and enjoy the journey. Blessings, and thanks for the reminder.