Meetup ideas??

I am planning a meetup here in Des Moines and am wondering what all of you do at meetups. What topics do you cover? Some main points to go over? Exercises? I am more inclined to just run and keep it slow and talk to people as we go but think I should touch on relaxing and the basics of form.

Any advice is welcome!!!

Coming this July 4th, Mokie

Coming this July 4th, Mokie and I will have had our one year anniversary of BFR meetups/runs. We have yet to formalize anything. All we have done over the past year is meetup to run. I used to set something up in email, but now I arrange group runs on this site through my Chapter's page, use the Broadcast feature, and I still use email . (I keep a spreadsheet of everyone's info as I learn little details about them...sneaky.) Now, we're trying to meetup twice a month.

Now that we (Georgia) have grown quite large (55 members), we have had pretty good turnouts the last few months. We just plan to meet somewhere central to most of the members, then we run. Last time, we set two distances (3 and 5 miles plus a two mile mountain hike) and allowed the members to choose which distance they wanted to run, according to their ability. It worked out well. Afterwards, most of us went to a resturant and had lunch. It was a good day.

When someone steps forward in our group who has the skills to demonstrate good barefoot running form, then we may even hold a clinic say once every quarter or so.

I can imagine later that we will have meetings, plan actual races, have club competitons, maybe even a Christmas party...

When are you thinking Hoop?

When are you thinking Hoop? Des Moines isn't all that far from me, relatively speaking. I'd like to make it, depending on how quickly I can come back from hiatus when my official go to run gets here (July 19 will be my 6w mark), or is this strictly for the IA folk? I can talk to the others in the MN Chapter too. I like TJ's idea of meeting up for a run and of course a beer and some grub for afterward.

I am hoping to have meetups

I am hoping to have meetups about 2x a month. Nothing very formal at first but to generate some interest. I must admit I am a bit nervous about it but going to suck it up and get something going.

I think the grub afterwards would be good. Breakfast, coffee and maybe a mimosa :)

Zumba, you would be more than welcome and the more the merrier!!!

Thanks TJ for the great ideas. I will post here when I decide on a date for sure.

Be sure to use your Iowa

Be sure to use your Iowa Chapter page for coordinating your group runs. You can use your Iowa Forum to communicate. (We hope to have these features linked to one another in the future.)

i've partnered with a local

i've partnered with a local nutrition club here in dallas and it's setting up nicely. they have a meeting room in the back where i will hold clinics as well as group meetings and stuff of that sort. i have a partnership with them where they supply smoothies and energy teas for my members in exchange for area exposure. it's a pretty sweet deal and i'm almost certain i can get you a similar connection in your area if you are interested. the nutrition clubs i'm with are global. for runs we can either run from the club about a mile up the road to hit trails or we can meet at any of the various running trails in the area and the club has agreed to have rep there who is also a business partner of mine to serve shakes and what not. i'm thinking i'll keep my runs fairly simple and possible turn us into a running club. i'd like to have at least two monthly runs if not more and set up clubs all over the state as Texas is fairly expansive. i figure i help get the clubs started and appoint someone from the brs in that area to manage it. what do ya'll think?

I will make either work:)

I will make either work:)

Hi NR, Post your question in

Hi NR, Post your question in the Tennessee and Virginia Forums too, just in case. ;-)

Barefoot TJ wrote:Hi NR,

Barefoot TJ said:
Hi NR, Post your question in the Tennessee and Virginia Forums too, just in case. ;-)
Thanks, I can walk across the road and be in Virginia, literally. It is called state street has metal plates in the double yellow that says Tenn and Virginia. salestax is cheaper in Vir, and Tn has no state tax, so it's works out pretty good lol.