Massage therapy?

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
So doing some self massage has really worked wonders, even better when my wife does it. But since it feels like its working I wonder if it would be even more beneficial to take it to the pro level? With my upcoming marathon I was thinking I'm going to be pretty sore afterward and would probably benefit from a good sports massage. I've never done a massage session before though. Does it make any difference when? Like next day? Or ok to wait 2 or 3 days? Some people have mentioned one before as well, or as a regular part of my training periodically to help get the things that slip by the self treatment. But if before, how long before? I assume youd want it a little more in advance, like early in the week for a weekend race?

And if you pay for an hour, for example, are you supposed to also tip? Outside of restaurants, I really don't know when your suppose to tip. Hope this isnt to personal or embarrassing to talk about but are you suppose to shower first? Are there showers usually there? I checkout out the website of the place thats along my drive home, even read their faqs but it wasnt mentioned. After work (presumably when I'd be getting the massage) I'd be embarrassed of some foot odor and sweatiness - just wearing socks all day and hardly wearing shoes at all and my feet still tend to sweat a little. But I live so far out from the city I don't want to drive home first and back.

Showers are uncommon, unless you go to a fancy spa that has a locker room, steam room, etc. They give you a few minutes to change. So, if you bring some body wipes, you'll have some time to freshen up.

Tips vary. Spas will often include a gratuity, such as 15% in addition to a $200/hr massage. If you go to a discount place, such as Massage Envy, where the massages are $69/hr, then 15% is too little, and one should tip $20-30.

You generally tell the MT what areas you would like to have worked on. If you want an MT to identify your problem areas, get a 2hr whole body massage. The MT will then develop a treatment plan with return visits every 2-4 weeks. You can also work on the problem areas yourself in between massages.

I found massages to be very helpful, while I was getting swim lessons. It helped to improve my upper body flexibility immensely. The MT also identified that my "calves are like rocks". I haven't needed a massage in a while, since I've figured out what areas to work on myself.

my mt doesn't accept tips as he works for himself. get one a few days before to allow your body to adapt to the changes.

So I had a massage on Monday, to get loosened up before the big race. I might have been expecting too much but I don't think I got much out of it. I might try a different MT, I've already scheduled one next week for after the marathon - that one I think I'll need a lot more anyhow. She claimed I shouldnt get a really intense deep massage right before a race, so maybe thats why I didn't get as much from it. She did identify a few things some I did know and some I didnt. She claimed my one leg was slightly out of alignment and that explained the slight wear pattern on my right heel. I've been meaning to shoot a video of my gait, just havent done it yet (ok been trying to do it for a couple years lol). She also noticed I wasnt very flexible in many spots. I've been that way since I was a kid and struggled doing the stretches in gym class we were suppose to do. For example my ankles have quite limited movement. Might be all those years of wearing shoes and shortening my calves. Then again its limited in both directions so IDK. She claimed she couldnt find any trigger points on me, but did find a couple spots on each leg that had some pain that I wasnt aware of. I was curious if she'd find anything about my feet - I wasnt going to say about the bfr first, but when I mentioned I was a runner and she asked about if I wore good cushioned shoes I couldnt lie. But she seemed to accept my bfr, as she was a holistic kind of person, but not a runner anyway. She did say I had pretty meaty arches and underfoot, that many spots she could work on hard underfoot without me even flinching that she claimed would put many of her other patients into pain.

I did a 2 mile walk afterwards, and the next day an easy 5 ish mile run. Can't say I felt better and actually had quite a bit of soreness I generally get from longer runs. Not sure if it was from the massage or maybe just my form - often while doing really easy runs I tend to get sloppy. Also have had worse than normal back pain the last two days. I get pretty bad lower back into the top of the hips pain, and she really didnt get that area very close. It might have been a delayed effect from hauling a bunch of wood on Sunday too, lots of bending over, lifting, setting down and stacking. But from yesterday through the race I am curtailing all physical activity outside of walking and easy jog, and hope my back and legs will be back to 100% by Sunday.

Reactions: dutchie53