Luna Sandals

I like them.  They look very

I like them. They look very earthy.

Latest_LunaSM.jpg

Not bad, most look feminine ,

Not bad, most look feminine , but these look like something a guy could wear. I don't like sissy looking sandals. These look like Roman soldier material. I like em!

Guys, just find a Tandy

Guys, just find a Tandy Leather store near you, buy a slab of leather, and make your own! That's what I did. It's just like making huraches out of rubber, only you'll need leather snips to cut out the sole and a drill to bake your holes. Nothing against Barefoot Ted, but you could make 4-5 pairs of sandals for less than the $50 price tag of the Lunas.

Personally, I don't run in my leather sandals because they feel heavier and stiffer than rubber ones.

The Luna Sandle is Teds

The Luna Sandle is Teds Vibram Sole Huarache with a leather footbed. They do look great but come on, "Most Look Sissy"? The footbed is covered with your foot so the leather means nothing. If you want to make a pair, get some Invisible shoes or do like I did and buy you some Vibram Cherry sole Material from ebay and make your own. Then get a piece of leather from tandy, take them down to the shoemaker and have him glue the rubber on and use a shoe press to make sure it stays.

Last I read, Ted said he wasn't excited about the leather footbed when they got wet. Leather turns "slick as snot on a doornob" slick when saturated and you will be sliding all over the place. I am getting to where I really like my huaraches and wanted the leather footbed but now I have moved away from that desire as cool as the Lunas look, I prefer function and cost over cool.

Just a side note: I was very concerned the 4mm cherry would be too floppy but it is not for me, it is a perfect thickness. I bought a sheet off ebay for $30ish and have made two pair of sandles, one for me and one for my Grandkid and still have enough material for another pair for me and a pair for my wife.

Lava:  I am going to make my

Lava: I am going to make my own as well. I see that ebay does sell the cherry vibram sole material, I have not seen it for $30 though! I have seen it for $40, but you can make about 3 or 4 huaraches out of one sheet, well worth it. Not take anything away from Ted, or others, but looking more into the process, they are pretty darn easy to make.

I am going to get some leather laces as well (thanks for that linked you posted) and learn the slip-on method.

I was out shopping the other

I was out shopping the other day for my Grandkid some KSO's and we were caught in a major downpour. The cherry material was awesome in the rain, my feet didn't slip in the footbed, the sole didn't slip on the road or floors and I was completely soaked and it was great, I was jumping in puddles, walking through what seemed like rivers and the best part was the knot squished nice and flat.

For those of you with the

For those of you with the Cherry material huaraches, have you taken these on rough trails yet?

I was contemplating getting a pair of Ted's Luna sandals just because I thought the extra layer of leather would make the trails a little easier on the feet. Didn't consider them getting wet.

I just invested in a pair of Treks and I'll wear them on my weekend trail LRs and hope they hold up ok. They feel ok but it'll take a few weeks to get used to them as I have only have been running bare and in Classics.

I just made my cheapie

I just made my cheapie huaraches with some leather scraps I bought for the soles & cheap cord. I've worn them enough to know I like huaraches...but also enough to know I want different materials. I've gotten my leather soles wet. They stretched, then as they dried they shrunk and got stiff. Took awhile for them to get more soft again. I also need to get better cord; mine's a little scratchy. Next time I'll get some Vibram Cherry & either good leather cord or some sort of softer (nylon?) cord.

I received a $100 gift card

I received a $100 gift card from work and decided to pull the string and get a pair of Ted's Sandals.

If nothing else, I'll be able to see how a "pro" makes them and can try to duplicate it in the future. I also would like to see how they compare to the Treks during difficult trail runs (difficult as in rocky).

Took my new pair of Lunas out

Took my new pair of Lunas out for a 5.2 mile run on the street today. Felt sorry for my co-runner since she is a 10:30 pace runner and it was hard for me to stay under 9:00 today. I blame the sandals.

I opted for the "around the ankle" tie method since it feels a bit more comfortable and it is rather quick to do (I may switch to the slip-on method at a later time). Today I tied the left very tight and did the right side snug just to get a comparison during the run. The snug side felt pretty good throughout the entire run but the heel felt loose towards the end. The left side felt a bit constricting and even rubbed the top of my foot a little raw where you tie the knot. Was just a minor distraction and didn't hinder the run any but I think if my mileage had doubled it would have been a show stopper.

The Lunas themselves are extremely comfortable and light to run in. Much different then the home made pair I made a while back from Walmart supplies. Running was quite effortless and as close to feeling barefoot as I could imagine without actually being barefoot.

At the start of the run I was slapping the ground but with a little concentration I got into stealth mode. My running partner and I usually finish our lunch time runs with a sprint to the company's front door. Today's goal was to break 6:00 pace on the Garmin and we ended up hitting 5:42. The sandals were slapping during my sprint but it was only for a short distance so I didn't bother trying to see if I could correct it.

I highly recommend Ted's product but wow, are they expensive. At least in my book. I plan on taking on a morning run through downtown San Diego tomorrow and then Sunday I plan to wear them on a local trail 15k and see how they perform out in the wild. I may break them in on Saturday in the same area just to get a feel for them. Plus I'm sure my dog would like to check the area out.

2 big toes up

Great review,

Great review, Shacky--thanks!!

2nd run in Lunas and was able

2nd run in Lunas and was able to pick up the pace a bit since I was by myself.

Typically I am comfortable with an 8:30 pace but today whenever I glanced at Mr Garmin it read around 7:45. Uncertain if it is the Lunas or the trail running I've been doing but it felt pretty cool. Slowed down to a 9:00 on a couple of inclines but even they felt easier then prior runs along this route.

With the faster speed I had to stop a few times to retie as the laces would get loose and the heel strap would slide off. No real issues with the laces causing irritation on the top of my foot like yesterday but the lace between the toes did make the 2nd toe of my left foot a little numb towards the end.

6.2 miles today.

Beware of numbness.  It's a

Beware of numbness. It's a sign that the nerve is under stress. Stressed nerves lead to nerve damage.

I bought the "no holds

I bought the "no holds barred" version. 6mm w/leather footbed. Opted for leather laces over hemp.

Another Luna run today but this one was a 3.5 miler to test out trails. They performed remarkably well and today was actually the first time this year I was able to do the return run (all uphill) with no stoppage. There is one section of the trail that has a good amount of loose sand and this is the Luna's achilles heel I believe. The sandals were flipping sand all over the place and I was getting pebbles stuck under my toes. Maybe there is an art to running in sand with these but I couldn't figure it out.

Next up - either a 16 mile trail run in the morning or a 15k trail race on Sunday. Or both.

Good to hear you are having

Good to hear you are having fun with them. Nice Reviews. I look forward to hearing how the trail went.

I ended up moving away from the leather straps as much as I was attached to the natural look of them. I was getting lots of pain between the toes from the leather so I headed down to the local Trail house and picked up some 4mm cord. It seems a little more comfortable. Tying it was a problem on the bottom so O modified the cord. I will post some pictures later.

For the 20-miler I did this

For the 20-miler I did this weekend I opted for the slip-on method and was very impressed with it. I have them overly tight to start off which hurt a bit but after ~10 miles or so they loosened up and started feeling very comfy.

Shacky, I am still trying

Shacky, I am still trying to figure mine out. Left foot is absolutely comfortable and the right foot always hurts between the toes. It is strange that one does and the other doesn't. Have you noticed if lose or tight changes the feel between the toes at all? any thoughts on what might effect that?

I have thought that maybe I placed the tow hole in the wrong place but seriously, the sole would adjust wherever I put it. It has to do with how loose or tight it is I would think. I did adjust the looseness so that the toe string comes straight back from the toes instead of on an angle, that seemed to help some.

I did end up with a blister

I did end up with a blister along the 2nd toe of my left foot where the string comes up. I'm pretty sure it has to do with how tight you pull the string across the top of your foot. Do it too tight and it puts pressure on your toe as well as pushes your foot forward. Do it too loose and your feet can move around too much and the achilles strap will keep falling down. Let me know if you ever figure it out.