Loving these deertan leather laces for my huaraches

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I got some deertan laces from Leather Cord USA for my huaraches about a month ago, and I love them! I needed a 2-yard package for each shoe (which was more than enough), and it cost I think a bit under $10 with shipping.

Pros: So thin and soft and comfy. NO irritation between my toes AT ALL! Just really super-duper comfy. (The cheapo craft cord I'd first gotten was so uncomfortable. With this stuff, my huaraches have become my casual comfort shoe of choice.) So far they are holding up well under my shoes with my no-knot tying method. I am still using (and liking) my cheapo leather soles, and they are so flexible that there isn't much ground contact where the laces go under the shoe since that's between my toes, so there's not much friction on the actual laces. I've only run about 4 miles in them total but have worn them a lot just for everyday use. So I think they're strong enough despite their super-duper thinness.

Con: Just like any leather lace, they are somewhat "stretchy", and especially at first you'll have to keep adjusting the laces to get the tightness right.

Here's a screenshot of the colors available:

This is a wealth of

This is a wealth of alternative info, both in the lace material and the no-knot tying method. Excellent stuff, Beth! You should share your ideas with Ted.

TJ--I actually did send him

TJ--I actually did send him the original post w/the tying method, and heard back from him! Kind of like hearing back from a movie star. ;-)

Well...what did he say?  Was

Well...what did he say? Was he interested in adapting your ideas?

I think he pretty much just

I think he pretty much just said it's cool how people make all sorts of adaptations...nothing about using the idea or paying me millions of dollars for it or anything. Dang it.

That's a bummer, but maybe

That's a bummer, but maybe you can take the clue and make your own line of huaraches?

TJ--That would be fun! It'll

TJ--That would be fun! It'll come out in 2026 (the year we become empty nesters.) :)

Why don't you do a video like

Why don't you do a video like Sonja did with her tying method and submit it to Steven for his Invisible Shoe page on different tying methods?

Cool!  Thanks for the ideas.

Cool! Thanks for the ideas. I have some Lunas, but I may make some for my kiddos! They would be thrilled. And I do get annoyed by the knot, but only when wearing them around, not while running. Not sure what's up with that but would be nice to have an alternative.

I have also LOVED the hemp laces so those might be a fun "wardrobe" for your huraches!

miqie--Funny you suggested

miqie--Funny you suggested that; I communicated with one of the guys from Invisible Shoes & he suggested the same thing. One of these days I may get around to it.... :)

chickpastor--I'd be interested to try hemp laces too. Maybe I'll pick some up. I agree, it's fun to think of having a lace "wardrobe" with different colors/textures!