Looking for a novel on bunion derby

Hobbit

Barefooters
Oct 20, 2012
France
Hello everybody,
this is a strange request: I'm looking for a book, a novel I read about 25 - 30 years ago as "a chapter a week" in a german magazine.
It was about the 1928 bunion derby, but it is clearly not the more recent book by Charles Kastner, which was edited in 2007. This latter is a historical account and not a novel.
Unfortunately I can't remember the author nor the original title. I suppose though that it was originally written in english and that I read a german translation.
I do remember some features : there was a woman participating as well (= novelist's freedom?) and there were german athletes who were doping themselves with cocaine whilst running across the Rocky Mountains. At the end, the oldest runner, who is in front of everybody else, stops short just before the finishing line to wait for other participants to cross the line together.
Does anything of this sound familiar to you?
I would like to find this book (or at least it's references, author, title, year of edition), because it is the book that first got me interested in running and long distance running when I was a young girl.
So far internet research came up with nothing.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks for looking, but no, the second book is also an historical account like the first one - edited in 2007 as well.
The novel I'm looking for would have been written in the 1980's or even before. (huh, that's long ago, isn't it? - I still went to school - and that makes me feel kind of old right now :D)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts