LONG Story- Plantar Fasciitis problem?

Should I...

• stick with as minimalist as possible

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • get something with more arch stability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • go minimalist with more support (stack height)

• go minimalist with a little more drop

• Total voters
Yes!

But there is no 'lift' - it's just a reaction to your speed. The faster you travel the more lift there appears to be.

This is the part that always confuses me. If you aren't "lifting" what is the correct term? Propelling? If you aren't supposed to PUSH off the toes or LIFT the feet, wouldn't you just be dragging your feet across the ground?

Also, in the previous video-it seems to somewhat contradict the one I posted. When his foot comes off the ground, it it so high that his toes go all the way to his hips (on the rear foot in each stride) for me to recreate that I feel like I am pushing off my toes, or making my strides way too long or exaggerated. Where in her video, she is "lifting" her feet so slightly that they dont even go above her knees (on the rear foot). Which is "right"?

runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/running-biomechanics/
The Swing Phase
At the moment of toe off, your...leg has travelled as far back as its going to and the heel starts to lift towards your backside. ...This is a passive movement (as opposed to a conscious effort), with the height that the heel reaches depending on the degree of hip extension achieved and the speed you are running at.

Reactions: DNEchris and NickW
This is the part that always confuses me. If you aren't "lifting" what is the correct term? Propelling? If you aren't supposed to PUSH off the toes or LIFT the feet, wouldn't you just be dragging your feet across the ground?

What works for me is to not think about trying to force the foot lifting or toe off and try to make suble changes in body position that lead to a relaxed running form. Cadence, heel lift and toe off will follow as a result of that...basically you have to find your individual form within the greater basic good running form...try not to force a lot of changes. Thats pretty generic but learning the fine points on your own is worth a lot and getting too detailed about what other runners do can lead to frustration.

Reactions: DNEchris
focus on lifting/driving your knee from your hip/iliopsoas and extending your leg from your glutes. if it doesn't feel springy then it's wrong. your feet will do what they need. you don't need to push off nor lift your foot as lifting becomes a reflexive action of your flexors pulling your foot off the ground and forward.

i wish i could describe it better but it's more of a feel. working with someone is easier than trying to read. the video i posted of Dr C is how you want to run. the one you posted of the woman, she looks like she's struggling. she's working harder than she has to. believe it or not going fast is easier than trying to move slow. like i said, if your not springing off the ground then your doing it wrong.

The only time I feel I actively lift my foot is when I put it on something uncomfortable!

I understand what you are saying here. As long as my run was going well, I wasn't thinking about actually lifting my feet, but as soon as I came across a stretch of say chip n seal, I started lifting my feet.

I think it's best for new barefoot runners to think about lifting their feet until they become confident in their running barefoot. By then, they will have stopped constantly or consciously thinking about lifting their feet anyway.

Reactions: mokaman
I would agree with Dr. Mark.
naturalrunningcenter.com/2013/05/06/video-the-principles-natural-running/
From Dr. Mark:
some of the differences between learning barefoot and then developing a stride that allows you to gain more speed.
you can load really light with barefoot techniques which even teach to kind of lift the foot even before fully loaded. this is safe, fun, gentle….and all good. WAY better than heel strike.
But to get faster and more efficient you must use you gluts and extend the hips. this is the most efficient use of the spring (foot). load it FULLY and all the release. do not [lift] foot off prematurely
I think that careful placement of the foot with each landing, when performed with good technique and form, leads to automatic and passive lifting of the feet during the swing cycle.
This also depends on speed. To spring like Dr. Mark, one has to run fast like Dr. Mark, or at least faster than the woman is jogging in the video.

Although, lifting the feet might be a nice drill for heel stomping shoddies to practice, while transitioning.

Even while running on gravel, I don't think, "Ouch! Lift the feet." It happens automatically. Perhaps, this is why Ken Bob suggests:
barefootrunning.com/?page_id=109
Gravel and rough terrain should NOT be avoided when you’re trying to learn how to run gently while barefoot. Standing, or walking and running a few minutes on uncomfortable terrain will teach you more about running gently than months of running on comfortable terrain, or in any kind of footwear.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts