Date Reviewed: 10/11/2011
Review Type: Race
Barefoot Friendliness: 2 Above Average

Shoreline Dr./ Shoreline Village Dr.
Long Beach, CA
See map: Google Maps

Picture:
2010_coursemap_lrg.jpg

I thought the race was really nice and very organized. I would consider 90% of the 13.1 mi as being very smooth or smooth. The only part I was thinking "oh no" started when I was crossing the bridge and continued through the whole Queen Mary side of the race. The asphalt was cracked and rough but there was only a few spots that you had to run on the cracked asphalt since there was plenty of newly paved narrow section where they installed pipe underground.

Eventhough the asphalt was cracked, there was no sharp asphalt. When you cross the bridges you should watch out for the expansion gaps they were fairly large- you don't want to get your feet stuck in one. The last 2- 3 miles on Ocean Blvd had asphalt had big smooth bumps which may not be comfortable to new barefoot runners since you had already done 10 mi. Oh, the ground stay cool though out the whole race. At the end, absolutely nothing happened to my feet and I only ran by one other barefoot runner at the start and saw someone running in huaraches. Next year I hope to do the full marathon barefoot.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts