Lifting feet - help

barefootpilot

Barefooters
Jun 24, 2010
Early days and trying to learn the correct form for me. So far each time I run I get a sore spot developing on the ball of each foot, just below the big toe. Running on the spot in my kitchen it feels like this is where I push off, although I'm really not conscious of pushing off from my feet when I run and obviously try not too.

Any helpful tips on how to get the lifting action more correct? Think I remember others talking about exercises which help to practice this movement.

Thanks in advance

Bfp

I think I read in the chi

I think I read in the chi running book that to imagine that the inside of your ankles are sticking out and then when you are walking to pretend you have to step over your opposite ankle.

It may be from your landing

It may be from your landing if you don't push off. Try running and keeping your feet in a straight line. For example, if you are running on a road with lines, try to run above the line and land so your big toe is in the middle of that line. You will find that you land more on the outside(4th and 5th metatarsals) of your foot. That may be your problem.

Also try to lift your feet parallel to the upper part of your leg. Pretend the bottom of the L is your foot.

_

L

All good tips.  Remember you

All good tips. Remember you move forward while barefoot running not by propelling yourself with your planted foot, but rather by falling forward (in a sense), lifting that foot and catching yourself with it.

What did it for me was to focus on a combination of leaning forward a little from the ankle and waist to cause the fall forward, and purposely ending my stride earlier than I otherwise would have. That way I didn't have the opportunity to push off at the end of my stride because my foot was already lifted to stop myself from falling over.

A quicker cadence making sure

A quicker cadence making sure to lift your feet will probably do the trick. Try to not get so bogged down with specifics though, or you could hurt yourself and become turned off by the whole process. We can each provide little hints as to what helps us, but in the end, it will be all up to you. Some people have found that once they stopped "thinking" about it, it came naturally to them.

i would also say to not get

i would also say to not get too caught up with it. you said you were in the early stages so you could just be developing your feet. getting the skin tough is the first part of this whole thing. your form can be perfect, your muscles strong, but if your skin isn't ready then it wont work. listen to all the advice you've already gotten so far and see if it applies to you. if it does then use it but if not or if you're getting overloaded then just keep working on it.

your body is a survival tool and you are telling it to survive barefoot running and it will. just give it time to adjust.