Lesson Re-Learned

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I ran a modestly rough trail workout yesterday, my first such since the winter. Holy smokes! What a difference a little added texture makes to a run. I felt like I'd been put through a mangle and my leg muscles were all randomly firing in misery as I settled down to sleep last night.

I believe that a 5 mile trail run with rocks and roots and sudden changes in elevation is significantly more effort than the same distance on pavement. At least that's what my legs were telling me last night.

Tell us what the rest of your body is telling you the next day! :)

Tell us what the rest of your body is telling you the next day! :)

Wouldn't you like to know!

Actually, I felt fine on Friday, and, as usual I took the day off, and was up early and ready to go for a 10 miler (trail and roads w/ split between BF and Vibrams) on Saturday morning. I did spend more time than usual rubbing myself...with a roller/Stick.

Reactions: jldeleon
It's really hard to compare road miles to trail miles. Yes, in some ways the effort is more on trails, but the terrain often regulates your speed so it is easier on the body. I really enjoy the variety of trail running and it is hard not to become a trail only runner. Ideally, it would be best to do both, which I have started back into. I did a road race yesterday evening and it was great to feel that return of energy, the spring, on the pavement. Feet are a little sore today. Need to take things a little slower.

Enough about me, it's great to see you back in action JT, keep away from those trees and back injuries.