Ken Bob's book -- long awaited, and worth it - A review by Matt.

kidsrunning.jpg

Barefoot Ken Bob's book -- long awaited, and worth itA review by Matt.
[Editor's note – This review is the first installment in the BRS's series of reviews of books about barefoot and naturalistic running. We'll be looking for the best instructional books, as well as ones that shed light on broader questions like why has barefoot running been so controversial in the running community? And is naturalistic running really the same as barefoot running – in every way but the shoes? This week we'll start with the book that barefoot running diehards were waiting for, the one from Ken Bob Saxton. The review is by Matt. The photo above is by kisocci, licensed via Creative Commons. Enjoy -stomper.]

Barefoot Running Step by Step: Barefoot Ken Bob, the Guru of Shoeless Running, Shares His Personal Technique for Running with More Speed, Less Impact, Fewer Injuries and More Fun

by Roy M. Wallack & Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton. Fair Winds Press, ISBN 9781592334650

Back in 2007, like many runners before and many runners since, I was another bad knees, bad form, bad luck runner who just wasn't built for running. Thankfully, just as I was ready to give up on running completely, I stumbled upon the web site of Barefoot Ken Bob. I was positive it wouldn't work but figured I had nothing to lose, so I ditched the shoes and gave barefoot running a try. Despite all my skepticism, it worked!

Given my enjoyment of barefoot running over the years, I owe a ton of personal thanks to Ken Bob for my ability to run, and also to the community he created that guided me on this journey. I think 50% of what I learned about barefoot running came from the discussions on his Yahoo forum. The other 50% came from my two feet running around my neighborhood over the years.

So when he finally came out with Barefoot Running Step by Step this year, I was both hopeful and doubtful about whether it would be a book worthy of his decade and a half of experience and instruction. How could anyone possibly take all that he has written over the years and condense it into a neat book. One of the things that lead to my trepidation was his barefoot running clinic in the Summer of 2010, which I found to be rather underwhelming. It may have been fatigue from all the travel, but I think ultimately, Ken Bob may be more of an idea guy and thinker, rather than a presenter and spokesperson.

When I initially scanned the book, my immediate reaction was disappointment. I could tell by looking that it was not going to live up to my hopes, and that reading it would likely make me cringe. Something about the odd size rubbed me the wrong way, and opening it up, the table of contents was goofy at best. Additionally, there was no index. What were they thinking? If I saw this book at a book store and didn’t know who the author was, I would hardly have given it a second glance.

So, I started reading, and over the course of 240 pages, my impression did a 180. Maybe you can’t judge a barefoot running book by its cover. By the end of the book, I came away with the impression that this is THE book on barefoot running. Not only does it contain a lifetime of knowledge from Ken Bob, but it also displays his wit and humor. And his generosity. This book really is a collaborative effort, much like his web site. He really does a good job of weaving the history of barefoot running, technique, and stories into a seamless whole.

What is the theme of Barefoot Running Step by Step? It comes down to this: barefoot running is the best way to learn good running form. And even more specifically, it's the best way to run, period: injury-free if you do it right and don't rush into it, and faster as well, for those who like to be fast. Ken Bob gives many reasons why this is the case. Personally, I’ve loved how it feels, and have suspected that it’s also making me faster (my fastest races have been barefoot). But in Barefoot Running Step by Step, this argument is well spelled out, and for many people, myself included, is very convincing.

How does he spell out the argument? He does it through a combination of narrative, compelling logic, and recent research (some of which hasn't been published before this book came out). There is a small weakness, though. Without an index and an annotated bibliography, the research he sites doesn't come across as strongly as it could. He also give examples of many elite runners both past and present who have used barefoot running as part of their training to various degrees.

So who is this book geared towards, and who will benefit from it? It’s probably not for everyone, but if you like to run, don’t like to be injured running, and have feet, then this book could very well be for you. I was really impressed with how well Ken Bob explains barefoot running technique, and he repeated cautions about the dangers of trying to progress too fast with barefoot running. Ken Bob doesn’t hold back in expressing his opinion of minimalist shoes. Basically, by blocking the sensory feedback from the feet directly touching the ground, minimalist shoes prevent good running form.

What about the co-author, Roy Wallack? Well, I think he did a brilliant job. He was able to take what Ken Bob has written over the years, condense it, and come out with the essence of barefoot running. The book definitely conveys the voice of Ken Bob, include his wit and wisdom. But I don’t think that it could have ever happened without the work of Roy Wallack. What would this book have been like without the work of Roy Wallack? Well, take a look at Ken Bob’s web site over the years. Despite the fact that there is a ton of good material there, it’s quite a mess. It’s tough to navigate, and sometimes the great material is buried deep within. Other than my initial impressions of the book size, cover, table of contents, and lack of index, I only found one negative in the book. The short section in nude running felt like it detracted from the focus of the book. I don’t have anything against running naked, but people already probably have an image of barefoot runners as peace-loving hippies. Peace-loving hippies running around naked doesn’t help the cause.

And this gets us down to one last question. Is Barefoot Ken Bob a good spokesperson for barefoot running? Does his hippie-ish appearance detract f
rom the fine ideas that he presents in his book? Personally, I think he is. The arguments themselves stand on their own. His logic and thoughts are well reasoned and tested by years of experience, both his own, and thousands of other barefoot runners over the last decade. He brings in the research being done by folks like Professor Daniel Lieberman showing the benefits of barefoot running. And I appreciate his aura. I don’t want someone writing about barefoot running who is half-assed about it, and bending over backwards to appeal to those who still aren’t going to give up their shoes. Ken Bob isn’t trying to sell you a better pair of shoes. He’s trying to convince you that you were born with all the running equipment you will ever need. You just need to re-learn how to use them.

Well done!

I just finished reading this myself and came to a similar conclusion. For my wife and I, we kind of started losing interest in the runner profile chapters towards the end, but the rest seemed like solid gold. In fact, it took reading this book for me to finally wrap my head around how much you should bend your knees, and I've seen a huge jump in performance (not that I am a performance type of runner).

This is the book for barefoot running. In fact, if anything, Ken Bob was overly nice to the minimalists and the part-timers. He definitely could have been more "hardcore", this is very diplomatic.

His 10 steps from head to toe are the best running tips for injury free running ever compiled by a human being. I went from 4 mile runs to a 9 mile run, with the first 2 tips alone (eyes up, and relax shoulders). I love that he doesn't have a huge "program" chapter. Honestly, in my 3rd year of barefoot running, there is no "one size fits all" running and mileage program. Everybody has to learn via running barefoot, and paying attention to the feet. There is no way around that, and I'm so glad that's what's in the book.

Ken Bob probably has a stealth program in mind when he talks about all the shod runners who train barefoot on the side. He wants to get people to give it a shot, and then figures a percentage of them will go all bare, or mostly bare, or more bare. Good idea. I've tried to run shod, shod on treadmill, vibram, water shoes, and lunas, and always, always come back to barefoot as the only way to run.

The book is very inspirational, well written and interesting. I love most when Ken Bob revealed the times he has struggled. (blisters in his 19th marathon! Marathons in 8 hours! Numb feet at 45 degrees!). I find that more motivating, then a story of someone who ran barefoot for 2 weeks and qualified for Boston. This book is great for showing that achievement ranges from an 8 hour marathon to a 2:40; from building up to a 10K after 3 years to running a marathon after 3 months.

This book is not didactic and negative about minimalist at all. Ken Bob just recommends doing barefoot first, which seems pretty fair to me. I carry the book in my bookstore, hosted Ken Bob on the tour (poorly, he was a prince), and will ship the book for free to anyone that wants to buy it direct from my bookstore. (backlistbooks.net, phone is easiest)

Thanks Ken Bob!

Hey Matt, cool review. One of the problems I have with how to books is they are unfortunately unmotivating. I really enjoyed"Born toRun" simply becuasehe did a excellent job of making you want to run bytime you finishedthe book. In fact almost everyone I know that has read it also came away with that feeling.Does Ken Bob's book motivate you to want to run?

Abide -- Ken Bob's book is definitely not like other "how to" books. It has a lot more narrative than most instructional books. It definitely has made me more motivated to run more this year.

Thank you, Matt, for an excellent review. I have spent a lot of time on Ken Bob's web site, and was afraid the book was going to be a condensed rehash of what's there. However, it's not.

The book is a fun read, and Ken Bob's own experiences (far more complete and detailed than on his site) add an important personal touch. It's a literally beautiful book -- a lot of careful thought went into the pictures and layout. It's probably the running book with the most "coffee table quality" I've ever seen, even in softcover. The end result is a very engaging book -- I finished it in two sittings, and I'm a slow reader. And I'll continue to use it as a resource.

And as others have noted, Ken Bob is a little more diplomatic in the book than on his site. And even though the book's tone is not filled with zealotry and evangelism, it's such a good book, I almost want to buy it for shod runner friends who might even be hostile to barefoot running. If you don't want to run barefoot after reading this book, there might be something wrong with you! (That's over the top, I know, but ...).

DB -- I'm also curious how shod runners and minimalist runners will react to this book.

I agree about his book being a fun read. Other than BTR, I can recall another running book that was so much fun to read. Given that barefoot running itself is so much fun, I'm glad the book has this quality.