Just checkin' in...

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by miker, Jul 27, 2010.

1. miker Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Hey all! I live just NW of Tulsa and was wondering where all the other BF runners in OK were from. I am loving barefoot running! It's kind of like an interactive video game! I run in Tulsa @ Turkey Mountain & @ the Riverparks, and @ home we share a 1/2 mile driveway loop w/the neighbors. The dogs really like running @ home. They can run off-leash, which they really like (me too!)

Anyway, as others from Oklahoma join up, post and let's stay in touch!

Cheers!

Mike
  2. Ian M Barefooters
    1. Oklahoma

Message Count:
    I'm located to the south of

I'm located to the south of Tulsa - not native to the area though. I haven't ventured out to River Parks or Turkey Mountain as yet as they tend to be pretty well used am I am only starting out BFR, so prefer the quieter path at Bixby. Plus I know the distance between the 2 parks on the path and am using it as my distance goal.
  3. miker Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Hey Ian,It's great to have

Hey Ian,

It's great to have another BF runner in the area! How far is it between the parks? I've only been BFR since April '10, and not all the time. I run in VFFs most of the time, although I am making a commitment to trying all BF.

Do you run in any of the runs around Tulsa? If our time/distance works out, maybe we could meet up sometime.

Cheers!
  4. Ian M Barefooters
    1. Oklahoma

Message Count:
    The trail between the two

The trail between the two parks is approx 1.5 miles and my current (or last) run distance is 2.1 miles barefoot. However, I have been sidelined for a few weeks now with a foot injury so will likely be starting fresh once everything heals up.

I did however learn one (painful) lesson from my last run - don't use my Vibram Five Fingers, especially when tired as you can easily hurt yourself! Yeah, I was wearing them when I hurt myself! lol Will be going barefoot as much as possible from now on.

I'm still planning on using some of the River Park trails, plus some trail runs at Turkey Mountain but it will be a while until I will be ready - my foot is still not 100%.
  5. miker Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Ian,I have a gravel driveway

Ian,

I have a gravel driveway that I have been walking on ('cause running on it HURTS!) Barefoot Ken Bob would probably say that was good thing...that my feet were telling me to take it easy. Well, I'm getting that message from my feet very clearly, thank you very much. :) But running later in the day on the street/paths doesn't work for me right not because they are HOT!!! (and I am speaking from experience) ;)

Tonight I'm going to try a couple of miles on the track @ one of the high school stadiums. It is that rubber stuff so it doesn't burn my feet like pavement. I ran 3 miles barefoot on it about a month ago and wound up with a large blister on the ball of my right foot. :(

So, blister is now gone...and I've been working on my form (bent knees, high cadence, lifting feet, etc.) I can't wait until all this becomes habit and I can think about other stuff while I run.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Cheers!
  6. Ian M Barefooters
    1. Oklahoma

Message Count:
    Yesterday I did my first

Yesterday I did my first barefoot run in over a month - was only about a 1/4 mile as I didn't want to push my foot tendons too much. Things are a little stiff and sore today but I'm definately happy to be moving forward. :)

Will be paying much closer attention on my distance increases and reworking my training technique so that I am doing a "out & back" distance instead of an "out" distance that then requires me to run/walk further than my intended distance to get back to my car. Hence my over-use injury to several tendons/soft tissue in my foot that is only now healing.
  7. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    That's a smart strategy,

That's a smart strategy, Ian. I've done that before myself.

8. corey_nagle Barefooters

Message Count:
     Just popping in to say hi.

Just popping in to say hi. Currently in Thomas, just north of Weatherford.
  9. barefootmetalman Chapter Presidents
    1. International
    2. Kansas
    3. Presidents

Message Count:
     I'm not actually from

I'm not actually from Oklahoma, but will be travelling there (from Kansas) this weekend (13Nov2010) to take part in the McNellie's Pub Run/Guinness Challenge in Tulsa. Any other OK BF runners going to be taking part in this race? If so, sloPanda and myself would love to join up with you before or after the race. (BTW...it is not too late to register for the race. Online registration is closed, but you can still sign up in person at both Tulsa Fleet Feet stores until Friday 12Nov2010). Hope to see some OK BF runners there!
  10. jamieguinn Barefooters

Message Count:
    I'm Jamie in Chickasha. I run

I'm Jamie in Chickasha. I run my neighborhoods (usually four times a week between 5 to 7.5 miles a pop), though I'd love to find some trails. Look me up on facebook.

I just started barefooting in Nov. 10. I've also got a blog post up about the beginning of my adventures.
  11. miker Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Hey Jamie! Welcome to the

Hey Jamie! Welcome to the Oklahoma Chapter of the BRS!! :)

I actually grew up in Duncan, and my sister just moved from Chickasha to Ardmore. Small world...

I ran in Chickasha last summer. I started out at my sister's house (don't remember the exact address, just how to get there), and ran to the park with all the Christmas lights. Ran around that a couple of times, then headed west from the park on the new sidewalks they just put in, all the way over to USAO campus. Would have run back, but my calf seized up something fierce, so I had to call for a ride.

I had only been barefoot/minimal for a couple of months, so I wasn't ready to run that far, I guess. Haven't had calf issues in a long time, which is great because they sure would shut down a run.

Take it slow, and you'll be fine. Good running!

Cheers,

Mike Rives

BRS-Oklahoma Chapter President
  12. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Welcome, Jamie!

Welcome, Jamie!

13. Ian M Barefooters
    1. Oklahoma

Message Count:
    Guess I'll be doing a running

Guess I'll be doing a running "reboot" for the new year and hopefully stay injury free. Thought I was over my tendon issue and did a charity bike ride...only 12 miles so nothing major. Unclipping from my cleated pedals after the ride, I felt a sharp pain in my ankle (same foot as I had previously hurt). This was late summer....now in December I finally seem to have overcome issues with multiple tendons in my foot/ankle/lower leg getting inflammed and causing pain and difficulting walking. I haven't even tried running yet as at times standing and walking was uncomfortable enough.

Only thing I have found is that I may have to restart my running in VFF or some Runamocs as I have found my foot doesn't like the cold too much and will make the tendons ache. At this point in time I will be happy to be active again regardless of what I have on my feet. J)
  14. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Ian, I had some serious

Ian, I had some serious inflammation that was affecting my tendons for awhile (due to taking some antibiotics I had a bad reaction to). I was prescribed a strong anti-inflammatory called Voltaren Voltren and took some natural anti-inflammatories called Inflama-Rest COX-2 Inhibitor (recommended by the local Herb Shop, which I ordered from Amazon, since the Herb Shop was out of stock on them) at the same time, and I can tell they really worked. Most of the inflammation is gone now. I still have problems with my left wrist and some in my feet, but I can tell I am on the mend. Maybe you should ask your doctor for a prescription of Voltaren (Voltren), as long as you are not allergic to it.

15. Ian M Barefooters
    1. Oklahoma

Message Count:
    Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions and not too far from what I have been doing to heal. Started with Ibuprofen and ice water foot baths, then switched to taking Zyflamend (natural anti inflamatory) and kept using the ice baths and massage/applying Arnica gel to the affecting areas. That and keeping as mobile as I could (needing to walk a lot at times for work)....as well as just giving my body time to heal. Also found compression socks to be a wonderful tool to help with recovery.

I am also "new" to the US as I only moved here 10 years ago....and have never bothered signing up with any doctor's prcatise, so it would not be particularly easy to consult with one even if I wanted to. ;) Not that I'm in any great hurry to sign up with any doctor as (other than this recent injury) I am the healthiest/fittest I've been all my life.
  16. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Well good luck, Ian. 

Well good luck, Ian. Hopefully, your recovery will start to speed up.

17. TN_Shane Barefooters

Message Count:
    Heading y'alls way come May.

Heading y'alls way come May. Will be there from May 1 to June 27. Anyone looking to run let me know.
  18. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    If you get to Oklahoma in

If you get to Oklahoma in time for May 1's International Barefoot Running Day, you can run with the group in Tulsa. Safe travels!

19. space girl Barefooters
    1. Oklahoma

Message Count:
    The closest metro area that I

The closest metro area that I live near is probably OKC, which means that I'm my own running club. :p I was a barefoot runner for a couple of years (after years of plodding around in "foot coffins") before some weird non-running related health issues began cropping up earlier this year. I'm still dealing with them, but at least now I have a diagnosis (actually, multiple, but that's a long story) and a vague idea of how to get going again. Some of you may remember a very strange "farm girl" on the minimalist shoe mailing list run by Barefoot Ted. Yeah, I'm *that* Space Girl.

Anyway, now that I have finally gotten around to recovering most of my old Favorites post-upgrade to Windows 7, you might hear from me more than once a year. That may or may not be a good thing. :)

Cheers.

20. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Wow, SG!  I hope you are on

Wow, SG! I hope you are on the mends. How can we help you get back into running, barefoot or otherwise? Wishing you well.