[Jun 14, 2014] Glow Worm Trail Run (New South Wales)

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Apr 18, 2014.

Glow Worm Trail Run
Start Date: Jun 14, 2014 08:00 AM
End Date: Jun 14, 2014 09:00 AM
Time zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 EST

Newnes
New South Wales 2330

Stream URL:
http://www.glowwormtrail.com/schedule-of-events/

Confirmed Attendees: 1
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 1
The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. Neil_D Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Another interesting and by the looks of it challenging race with the added interest of Glow Worms no less. I think the idea is to run half of the half marathon course on the Saturday.
    I await in eager anticipation of the race report.
    paulbeales and Barefoot TJ like this.
  2. kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Thanks Neil!!!!!!!!!!

3. Spiderweb62 Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. Deutschland-Ger...
    3. Française -...

Message Count:
    Kali, have you got some insight into the trail ? Is it like the Manly dam ? I think the distance is not scaring me, as I have done 20km on light trail in the past....And doing the HM in Sydney in May....I am still considering joining you, we'll see how I go in May

4. murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Well if your going I might as well come along. Won't be the same if we are not all there!
  5. kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Ahhhhhh that's what it's all about !! Feel the luuuurve
    :hilarious:
    Seriously though, I spoke to a friend today who has run the half and full course......starts off plenty of very natural forest trails, climbs up towards the old railway track that runs through fields and the Gloworm tunnel then on to an old ) 200yr old) road that is a bit gravelly and also through a section akin to a creek bed ( but large smooth rocks not chippy gravel) .................in all honesty I completely trust Chri's recount of the course to believe that it is possible to do at least a majority of it barefoot........the cut off times are so great you could walk the whole thing...no pressure to make a time...no pressure to keep a pace.........just achieve the task of finishing :)

paulbeales likes this.
  6. Spiderweb62 Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. Deutschland-Ger...
    3. Française -...

Message Count:
    I think the important for me is to start putting my mind into trail running. I don't have that many opportunities to train on trails, but these races really sound too nice to skip....Currently doing about 40km / week, but mostly on roads

kalipyjamas likes this.
  7. murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Currently doing somewhere between 0 an 5km a week. Getting smashed with work and uni and kids sports schedules. I will have to really make an effort now! At least I have a goal now. Thanks pjama lady. :)
    kalipyjamas and Spiderweb62 like this.
  8. George Carter Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Well I've got no excuse now, do I? I'm in...

kalipyjamas and Spiderweb62 like this.
  9. kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    TA DAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
    Team Monkey NSW rides again :)
    But just in case you missed it I AM NOT CAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spiderweb62 likes this.
  10. murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    I checked the average temp last year and it was -2.5 to 16. Is there a symbol for brrrrrrrrrrr
  11. Spiderweb62 Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. Deutschland-Ger...
    3. Française -...

Message Count:

12. murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Yea mate I am mentally getting in the zone. Got a plan to drop 10kgs and get my feet ready. Here's how it works. You take plenty of fresh fruit and veggies and throw them in a blender with a half a chicken breast. Then you take an ice pack and empty out its original contents. Give it a good clean then pour your protein juice in and seal it back up. timing is critical so you need to plan your runs around when the freezing of your protein juice ice pack. I recommend a couple so you don't get caught out.
    Now you are all set so you just grab some tape and fix the ice pack to your feet. You will be tempted to go for a pair of socks and it might not be a bad idea to just ease into it. Barefoot ice pack running can't take some time to transition to. Now the best part of this routine is as you come the end of your run the ice pack will have melted and you can ope it up and drink you're juice and protein! Perfect solution.
    Spiderweb62 likes this.
  13. George Carter Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Brilliant!!

That made my day :hilarious:

murls likes this.
  14. Spiderweb62 Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. Deutschland-Ger...
    3. Française -...

Message Count:
    Mate, your plan rocks...Sounds like I'll follow your steps :D

On another note, I am tempted to do the Botany Bay trail as a preparation to GWTM (only the 10km though, because the week after I am doing the Sydney HM). I don't have many opportunities to run on trail around my place...

http://www.sydneytrailseries.com.au/sydneytrailseries/kamay

If anyone feels like it, although I realise it is a bit far for everyone except me

15. murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    mmmmmmmmMayyyyybbbbeeeeeeeee. It falls around exams and assignment time. Will have to see how I am travelling. If I can make it I will drive down on the day.
  16. Neil_D Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Great video of the course, I think I would prefer to be running it in Summer though rather than in chilly winter conditions. The trails looked good for running on.
    I'm just recovering from a back injury sustained at the gym, I'm going to have to be more careful when lifting weights. I had a short 7km run today and the back was ok.
    One thing is for sure there would be no way I could run with a sore back if I still ran in shoes, the shock waves would have killed me.

Neil
    murls and kalipyjamas like this.
  17. murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    Ok I officially started training for this race today. Kicked off with a slow 4.8km run on the road. Got to say I really don't like hard surfaces. The old metatarsal issues raised their little heads around 3km. Since I have been running on trails I thought I was over them. Oh well, better go find some more trails or put on shoes for the concrete!

Week 1: 28 Apr Mon:4.8 BF / Tue:4.8 Shod / Wed:Rest / Thurs 5 Shod / Fri 7 BF (Tot: 21.6km)
    Week 2: 5 May Mon: 6 BF / Tue:rest / Wed 5k trail/road shod / thur:
    Week 3: 12
    Week 4: 19
    Week 5: 26
    Week 6: 2 June
    Week 7:
  18. George Carter Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    I clocked in a 10k trail over the weekend - 40 Baskets to Clontarf and back. You guys would love it - an incredible view of the heads when you get to the top. I think I'll make it my regular. :-D

murls likes this.
  19. murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    We will have to arrange a weekend run!
  20. kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    What was in the baskets????