Is anyone else like this?

fetish4running

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
I really love running. I love it even more now that I BF run. I think it would be really cool to do a half marathon. But I can't even get up the gumption to do a 5 or 10K. I've only ever done one 5K in my life. I placed first in my age group so I don't suck, I guess. I'll hear about a race and get excited and think I want to do it, but when it actually comes to registering, I get a sinking feeling in my stomach and I don't do it. I'm certainly in shape to do it. (I run about 25mi/wk) I know I can easily finish. So why am I such a chicken? Do any of you just run for yourself and nothing else?

I have been through

I have been through phases of being really skittish about entering races because I was sure I'd be sick or injured and waste my registration fee so I just waited and went for races that I could register for at the last minute.

If you don't like racing, you can skip it. Lots of people only run an occasional big race like full or half marathon. Look for a race that doesn't fill up so you can wait and register at the last minute. We have some small HMs in our area that take race day registrations. If you really just want to do a big race, go for it and if you can't make it, well it was a good donation and you can write it off on your taxes :)

i love racing!  i also love

i love racing! i also love to run just to run but i grew up racing and competing so i still enjoy getting out for a race. it can be daunting to go to a race. there's a lot of uncertainty with races. where to park, where's the start line, packet pick up, where are the water stops, etc. all of that can make you not want to go to a race which makes smaller ones like what wendy mentioned a nice way to indoctrinate yourself.

still if you want to race just sign up and make yourself do it. if you dont...who cares. just run.

I've really caught the racing

I've really caught the racing bug this year. I used to do MAYBE one race per year. I've already signed up for 5 this year, with two out of the way. My first VFF half marathon and VFF marathon. I had a ton of doubts about both because I had never run a race of either distance in VFFs. In both cases, that doubt was about enough to make me not want to do the races.

I will say that what has turned me over to the "I love races" side has been finishing these races and accomplishing my goals. For me, it was one thing to say "I have run 26.2 in a training run" and quite another to say "I have finished X Marathon with Y time". It makes me feel like I'm training for a purpose. It also allows me to see how my running is improving and evolving over time.

I don't know if those things are important to you, but they certainly are to me. Races gave focus and purpose to my otherwise illogical training schedule. I would go out for whatever distance I felt like whenever I felt like it, and as a result my fitness took a big hit. Racing is quite motivating, and has really put my passion for running on a new level.

I love signing up for races;

I love signing up for races; it's the actual showing up for the race that I seem to have a hard time with. I'm pretty sure I've dumped close to $1,000 on races that I have failed to show up for, some due to injuries and others due to laziness.

Fetish4, it sounds like you

Fetish4, it sounds like you want to enter a race... you say you get excited, then chicken out.. i won't attempt to interpret this behavior :), but here's one attitude towards races that's worked for me.

Rather than use races as ways to compare myself to other people (though it is somewhat unavoidable, it's a race after all) I use them as events where I resolve to show myself exactly how well I can run. They're dates where I tell myself I'm going to use every running-related skill I have, to test myself and find out things like...

Can I run X miles without walking? Can I finish really strong without injuring myself or throwing up? Can I do this barefoot despite the challenge of not knowing the terrain?

And now getting more abstract and hokey..

Can I be competitive with others and not be a jerk? Can I give people positive energy while passing them instead of being a dead fish?

Admittedly, these last issues don't come up that much because I rarely pass people. But it has happened. :) ..

I was exactly the same with

I was exactly the same with regard to getting all excited about the race, and then chickening out before registering.

Eventually, early last year, I decided I wanted to do a marathon, and I wanted the mementoes, so it needed to be a 'proper' race rather than a training run. I definitely didn't want the same stresses re racing for that, so I picked a local race where I was already comfortably running the distance, and treated it as purely raced procedure practice. I went and looked at the start, checked out parking etc, picked up the race pack the day before, arrived really early. Totally overboard with the preparations. I did 2 more races after that one, so by the time the marathon came around this year, I was totally comfortable with the race registration etc procedures.

Now I've done that, I probably won't race again. I'm finding my running much more enjoyable without the stresses of race preparation, and the competition/environment of a race doesn't inspire me at all. (I always thought that was the case, but I needed to try it, and go through the experiance)

Marc

Since I have been a Cydesdale

Since I have been a Cydesdale for 20 years and run like a Diesel (Far, but not so fast!) I've never had an ego about races so, therefore I enjoy them. I like the communal stuff before and after. The meeting friends and the pushing myself, but I've never so much as placed in my age group....so what, I have fun.

When I registered for the White Rock Marathon I actually registered a sa Clydsdale for the first time, who knows...maybe now I can actually PLACE!...hahaha.

It seems like everyone here

It seems like everyone here lives for the next race, so I figure there must be something wrong with me. I read all your comments and I get excited and I think I want it too. I appreciate your comment, Marc. At least I know I'm not the only one. I should probably try a race and see if it gives me the high that everyone else talks about or if it makes me want to puke!

Pudknocker, you've definitely got a healthy attitude! I like that!

I like races more for the

I like races more for the social reasons than the racing part so about half of them I'm not going all out. That actually rubs some people the wrong way.

You could go to a race just to finish and not run real hard so no pressure... or maybe volunteer at a race instead.

I like to enter "races"

I like to enter "races" because it keeps me motivated; I'm always training, meaning I'm, always running (when I am healthy, that is). I don't race though. I crawl like a turtle to the finish line, and that's okay with me.

Hey fetish4, I want to share

Hey fetish4, I want to share something with you. Not sure if you'll find this inspirational, but I kind of do. Here are some pictures from a race I was in recently:

http://capture247.smugmug.com/Events/MHScramble/12643787_XKD8q#908989063_ZDivU

There are thousands of pictures in photo set , and in practically every one the runner is smiling or (at least) positively engaged in what they're doing. It was a really good vibe.

There was a definitely a feeling and challenge in the event that I don't get all the time just running by myself.

Cheers, stomper

fetish, that's all I ever do.

fetish, that's all I ever do. go for it :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS