iPod Shuffle 5th gen vs. Sansa Clip+

Robbi

Barefooters
Dec 1, 2011
Cape Town, South Africa
So I killed my Sansa Clip+. I sweat a lot of salt and Clippie struggled valiantly, but after a broken clip and a third episode of mid-run narcolepsy due to shorting out, it was time to look for another option.

Let me state this first, though, in defense of the Clip+. It's a fantastic unit, especially for the price. The sound quality is better than the Shuffle, it has expandable storage, a screen, a radio and plays FLAC files, all of which are pluses for me. It also survived a full-flood rinse in warm water twice to 'resurrect' it and is still functioning.

Anyway, I thought I'd court the new Dark Side and get a Shuffle. I use Foobar2000 music player and there's a plugin to manage iPods which eliminates the need for iTunes entirely, so I cannot comment on the iTunes experience (nor do I care to 'enjoy' that experience either). So this is really about the running experience.

Good
  • It's small and sexy looking. Very nice design.
  • The clip is very robust - I don't expect it to break like poor Clippie did.
  • It has a voice interface - it will allow playlist navigation via voice, and also provide battery level status and button lock status as well as track info. This is actually awesome while running, no mucking about looking at a tiny bouncing screen. This is WIN++.
  • If you have a bit of a techie aptitude you don't have to use iTunes. The Foobar2000 integration is very well done for freeware.
  • I have seen reports of Shuffles going through the wash unscathed. Anecdotally it's more robust than the Clip+.
  • No screen - I like no screen and voice support, it's perfect for running.
Bad
  • It's a tad heavy for it's size, or maybe dense is a better word. It doesn't bother during-run, but I have noticed it can flop a bit clipped to my collar. A Titanium version would be awesome.And awesomely expensive :).
  • No expansion, it's only 2GB. At 320kbps that'll get you just over 14 hours of play and it has a reputed 15 hours battery life, which is IMO more than enough for running. You won't take all your holiday music on a road trip on it though. Well, I won't at least.
  • Sound Quality is not bad per se, just not as good as some other small players. For running it's just fine.
  • If you can't hack your way around it you need iTunes. I don't want another music ecosystem on my computer.
  • No screen - if you like screens you won't like this.
  • No radio - I don't care, you may.
Overall, I like it a lot. It's small, does what I want with aplomb and does no more. The Bauhaus music player.
Just my 2c, your mileage may vary etc.

I've never drunk the Apple koolaid, and I love my Sansa Clips. I've got 3 in the house right now (one is mine, one is my wife's, and one is a spare that a kid quit using after a year when the "down" volume button quit working sometimes). Simple, reliable, sounds great, and has given me no problems unless wetted excessively. The kids all have iPod Touch's (none of the kids run) that they love. I'm a visual guy and so can't fathom using a Shuffle. I also passionately dislike iTunes. I was a fan of windows media player until the latest version which is quirky, unfriendly and unreliable. I researched my first clip 6 or 8 years ago, and have stuck with them very happily ever since. Light, reliable, great battery life (probably 15 hours average between charges in my experience), great sound.

I'm glad you've liked your experience with the shuffle, but for those who have never discovered the Sansa Clip (4GB), it's a great little player that will cost you a heck of a lot less than any Apple product ever will.

Reactions: NickW
I like your opinion Phil, well stated. I have had Apple products for the last 4-5 years and can positively say I have purchased my last Apple product. After having a problem for the last few weeks with my Apple product, I called them for help (still under warranty) and they wanted to charge me to help me fix said problem. This is not the first time that I have had problems with them. They also like to make updates pretty frequently, which isn't a big problem until your Apple product all of a sudden can't be updated anymore... and they want to charge you, again, just to talk to you. In which case I found out my 2 year old Apple product is outdated and I can no longer download music to it... All I can do with it is listen to the same 114 songs that is on it... Did I mention this same product is still sold in stores? No, they just made a small software change to the same product to make the older ones obsolete and pretty much worthless... Go with any other brand other than Apple.

Reactions: Phil Hart
I've got a shuffle and a 2nd gen nano for longer runs. I've got no beef with apple products per se, i certainly wouldn't buy anything with a touch screen for running. The voice control is my favorite feature on the shuffle, i don't have to look at anything to change an album which means my eyes are focused where they should be, on the road ahead.

I do like my shuffle a lot it is an old one 2nd generation I think and it still works ;)

I like apple hardware but their software leaves a lot to be desired. I avoid itunes at all costs. Used to manage the nano with gtkpod, which is not that great but it is not itunes(sound like most people's choice for president). I use the ipod about twice a year so I haven't managed it in ages. I actually borrowed my son's shuffle for the last marathon since I was just running it for fun, it was much more convenient. I have thought about a bluetooth device to eliminate the cables, I would probably use it more but not worth it since I am just fine running without tunes. Maybe I'll get the motoactv someday if the garmin dies.

Hi folks, resurrecting this one again. My iPod shuffle died a sudden death from salt sweat on Friday. Dead as a doornail, no rescuing it at all, so I realized I need one of those waterproof armband things or I'm going to kill any device I use eventually.

Anyway, bought the armband (H2OAudio small player armband) and since I didn't need a clip, I brought my Sansa Clip+ back into service. Wow, what a difference in sound! I recall being moderately disappointed with the Shuffle sound, but switching back just brought it home to me what a great device the Sansa Clip+ is. Highly recommended!

Reactions: Phil Hart