Invisible Splinter?

HI there,

Here is an mystery.

I ran in a 10km race back on Easter Friday. The weather was pretty horrible very wet and raining while I was running. I remember at about 6 or 7km mark my foot was a bit sore underneath, like I had picked up some debris that had kind of stuck to the bottom of my foot in the wet.

I brushed it off and continued to the end. I waited around at the end of the race and then drove home.

I think it was the next day that I had a sore spot on the pad behind the small toes. I had a look for puncture wounds, there was a little nick but that was all. I gave it a good clean and couldn't see and splinters or anything but it continued to be sore as if I had something in there.

I went out for a run along the beach to see if I could 'sand' it out, umm didn't work.

The odd thing was that if I was up on my feet the pain would go away but if I sat down then got up it came back. The same applied when I got up in the morning.

You must all know what it is like. You don't want to put any pressure on the sore spot so then you get an aching leg due to a change in you gait.

I few days ago I was getting frustrated in the on again off again sore spot so I set about digging with some nail clippers. I chopped around the sore area but found nothing. I even tried a 'kooky' idea I found on the net, using Vicks Chest rub on the are and putting a plaster over, umm, that didn't work.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that it seems to be ok now, I had a 14km run on the beach and road, once again to get some wear on the pads in the hope of dislodging what was causing the irritation. It seems to have worked.

So, I still have no idea what it was. It may even come back again, I'm hoping it wont though. I guess 2 weeks is about the length of time these things tend to work their way out?

Neil

I had sort of the same thing

I had sort of the same thing happen to me. I had glass stuck in the pad of my big toe for about three weeks and didn't realize it until it worked itself out during a bath. (I also managed to tweak my ankle due to the unconscious change in my footfall during those couple of weeks. Grrr. I figured out what was going on and it's ok now, though.) After the glass came out I thought everything would be ok, but that part of my skin remained tender for over a week. I finally decided that maybe there was still something in there, so I cut back all of the thick skin around the area looking for anything that might still be stuck. Nothing. However, whatever it was that I did seemed to help because all of a sudden it wasn't sore when I put pressure on it anymore. Weird stuff, eh?

Quatum singularity!!!!!!!

Quatum singularity!!!!!!!

I actually went looking for

I actually went looking for information about this because on Mother's Day I did a barefoot hike near my friend's house and oooh boy I couldn't figure out why I hurt sooooo bad! Finally found two tiny miniscule dots on the bottom of my left foot this morning after my shower. I figure they must be thorns that I had embedded into my foot. I found this article on the net: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Splinter and was wondering if anyone had tried the Drawing Salve method? Did it work? Or do I just need to sit back and wait for the splinters to unbury themselves in me? I was totally aiming for another run this morning too! Now i'm not sure I'll be able to make it. Right now they are so deep in me they just look like two black dots.

That would be labeled a "WTF"

That would be labeled a "WTF" spot on my foot. I've had those and they are SO frustrating! I find a hot tub soak and a few beers or cocktails always manages to work it out though. Ha!

Grrr, that sucks, lol! I

Grrr, that sucks, lol! I soooo wanted to go trail running this morning. I was going to go run in my bf and carry along my new Komodo vibrams and darn it all if I get a freaking splinter in me. Pooh pooh I say! lol I am not a patient person... ask my feet! I guess I could wait and see if the ichthy or baking soda methods would work....at least that will get rid of the problem hopefully. I was just so excited because I finally got done with College finals for Spring semester yesterday. This was to be my celebratory run.

I always dig out a little

I always dig out a little mout around the splinter, then squeeze it up.

I'm trying an epsom soak

I'm trying an epsom soak since I can't seem to get them with the tweezers. If that doesn't work I'm trying baking soda.

I picked up a sliver

I picked up a sliver yesterday on my 8-miler, but I didn't know it until a few hours after I got home. Most of the time, it didn't really bother me much, so I forgot about it. Then this evening, I took my 8 year old son with me on my 7 mile run while he rode his bike. Just as soon as I stepped out of the car, I really felt the sliver. I said we might not be able to go if I can't get this out of my foot. Then I remembered I had a paring knife in my purse, so I got it out of my purse, and cut a little slit just over the sliver and used the knife to pry it up. It came right out. It was a piece of glass. I set my foot down, ran my 7 miles, and forgot all about it.

I've not had much success so

I've not had much success so far. After my first posting, it was back again in the morning

I have tried the baking soda, I did find supplementary info on the net saying that you should use baking soda and vinegar.

So there I was the other day foot sat in a dish of vinegar and baking soda, it didn't work but the acid in the vinegar was making my foot sting.

I'm now using a caustic pencil (Silver nitrate) to see if I can burn it out.

Really though I don't even know if it is a splinter, it just seems like the only explanation I can think of and it did seem at the location of a small puncture and hard skin surrounding it.

I'm hoping it will gradually work it's way out.

Cheers

Neil

That sounds like the exact

That sounds like the exact same thing I'm dealing with Neil. I went for a run about 2 weeks ago, and initially thought it was a splinter, but can not find anything. The pain seems to be getting worse, and it is starting to get very hard. I did some research and it seems that it may be a corn.

Corns, like calluses, are thickened overgrowths of skin that occur where the skin is under pressure. While a callus generally spreads over a large area, a corn typically looks smaller from the surface but can extend deep into the skin in a cone-like shape; the point of the cone in the skin can be uncomfortable.

That pretty much explains exactly what I have, and this picture looks closely identical to what I have, but still not one hundred percent sure.

images

From what I read it says to:

follow a regimen of creams, soaks, and scraping down of the toughened skin. Rarely, a person will have to see a doctor or podiatrist to have a corn cut away.

Anyone have any experience with corns? I tried the Dr Scholls corn removers for a couple days, but they wouldn't stay on. I should probably stay off the foot as much as possible, but I love barefoot running way too much! I have been so frustrated with the annoying pain, I just want to bust out a scalpel and cut it out!

I say cut it out! Well...

I say cut it out! Well... er.. at least cut it back. I have a corn on one of my toes that I have to ocasionally cut back so it doesn't hurt. That's not a great spot to have one though. Ouch.

Here is a picture of my foot.

Here is a picture of my foot. Not the greatest pic, but it may give you an idea as to what I may have. Any ideas? Or do you think it's possible that I'm right about it being a corn? Sure is tender!

mail

Hi there,I think I am back

Hi there,

I think I am back to 98% full foot functionality. Now whether it was the caustic pencil that sorted it out or if it fixed itself on its own I can't say.

I don't think it was a corn as the skin is soft around the area where it was painful. I just think I picked something up during the race, as I originally mentioned, the weather was horrible, pouring rain, lots of tree litter on the path, it could have been anything.

Regards

Neil

Sir Brown, you've attached a

Sir Brown, you've attached a picture from your Google Mail, so it's not showing up, since we don't have access to your mail account, unless you would like to provide your password? Otherwise, you'll need to put it in a public photosharing site like Photo Bucket.

I have no idea what that

I have no idea what that could be. I think exploratory surgery is needed. ;-) Maybe it's a wart. My sister had a wart. We think she got it from running in VFFs. That thing was nasty. She put that wart patch on it day-after-day, and it started to rise into this weird mushroom thingie that hung off her big toe. She couldn't even walk on it. Ha! I'm laughing as I type this for some reason.

Thanks TJ... I feel so much

Thanks TJ... I feel so much better now... NOT! ;)

I did lots of research and am pretty sure it's not a wart. I did put a corn remover on it last night, and did some scrubbing with a pummus stone, and it's feeling better today. Hopefully a couple more day of this and it will be gone; otherwise... I'm busting out the scalpel! :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts