Interesting run in the park today!

nature runner

Barefooters
Jun 13, 2010
I took three days off running since I was working 12 hr nights on the swing shift yuck, but glad to be employed! I've been having trouble with breathing as some have read on my other posts, but since I have seen the doc and got the inhaler for asthma. I have been coming around. I surprised myself today and disappointed myself too. I ran around 3.5 miles today bf, all my runs now are bf. As I was running in the park I noticed the local junior high track team unload, on the next lap I passed a few of them and got some looks but no comments. I took a new direction today, I went the downhill grade, I usually by pass it and hit the woodchips and then get back on pavement. Today I went for it, and lost form and got a big blood blister on my heel. I didn't even feel like I was heel striking? I was moving back and forth like a snake, but somehow I was heel striking on my left foot and never realized it. It don't hurt, and I didn't notice til I got home and showered. When the dirt came off, there it was. But, anyway, was just venting. I loved the run, and the look on the high schoolers face. I was amazed that I was passing them up? Btw, that is my second blood blister since running bf.

I have a small blood blister

I have a small blood blister on my heel from a run with bad form last weekend. But I'm the same as you--it doesn't hurt at all. I can't even feel it. I guess they'll go away eventually? For me it was one of the signs that I needed to really focus on lifting my feet more instead of pushing off, and I was able to do that better yesterday. Congrats on passing up the students! :)

I get a blood blister every

I get a blood blister every so often, even after over a year of barefooting. Yesterday for example, I was pushing a running stroller and running with my dogs, so I know my form was a little whacky. It doesn't always mean your form sucks, especially if you usually don't get blisters or hot spots. But sometimes you can get distracted, or do something different, while barefooting and it throws you enough to get these somewhat elementary injuries.

I wouldn't worry about it too much NR. From your posts it seems like you have a good grasp on what you're doing. Running without blisters is like a marathon without a sports expo. It just doesn't happen.

Thanks for input. I feel

Thanks for input. I feel like I let myself down if I get a blister or something. I hate injuries and set backs! My goal is to be a superb nature runner! I haven't done that in 5 yrs. My knee injury and getting hit by a drunk driver set back my running skills for almost 5 yrs. My right knee had I.T. band issues and my left knee was struck when the driver side door caved in on it from getting t boned by a drunk driver who stole a church bus for a beer run! So, I am trying to get both my knees back strong again so I can run like the wind. It's a slow process and I am having to learn patience. Sometime I feel frustrated that I can't do as much as I want to. I hate feeling handicapped!

That sucks, but I'm glad you

That sucks, but I'm glad you are alive to vent about it. I wish I didn't have the MN holding me back, but then I remember others have it a lot worse than I do. You'll get better NR, and stronger. Glad you're here.

Thanks T.J. Some of my

Thanks T.J. Some of my friends are like why do you bother to try and get back to what you were before the accident? I am like why would I not bother, I loved running and there isn't any reason why I shouldn't try to get back up to par? It does hurt physically trying to get back into shape, but that pain will go away once I get use to it. It takes time to get there, but without self motivation, I wouldn't get anywhere! Gots to be motivated to reach a goal!

Blisters mean bad form? Hm,

Blisters mean bad form? Hm, I didn't know that. I thought it was just your body's way of toughening up (like calluses).

Soak in the run and don't undermine your awesomeness!

HalfofJess wrote:Blisters

HalfofJess said:
Blisters mean bad form? Hm, I didn't know that. I thought it was just your body's way of toughening up (like calluses).

Soak in the run and don't undermine your awesomeness!

It was mainly were I was too chicken to do the downhill stuff, and when I did, it got me! What don't kill you just makes you stronger lol!

Some of the veterans will

Some of the veterans will tell you that blisters are an indication of bad form, and that may be true in respect to getting them long after you've been doing this awhile, but as far as I am concerned, I think they are not just little teachers of good form but also part of the conditioning processs. Just like someone who plays guitar will eventually develop caluses, pads that protect the underlying derma.

So these friends would rather

So these friends would rather you give up and just lay there like a vegetable? Put it to them this way next time they wonder why you bother, and see how they respond. Ask them if that is what they would do?

Keep up the good fight, NR.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Some of

Barefoot TJ said:
Some of the veterans will tell you that blisters are an indication of bad form, and that may be true in respect to getting them long after you've been doing this awhile, but as far as I am concerned, I think they are not just little teachers of good form but also part of the conditioning processs. Just like someone who plays guitar will eventually develop caluses, pads that protect the underlying derma.

That's what I look at it as. I get calluses when I strength train, sometimes worse than others, but it doesn't mean I have bad form. Incessant pain (not good sore pain) and injuries are a better indicator of bad form.

Besides, I feel like if you do enough running (especially for fun), you just can't have bad form. Running is a super innate thing (kind of like crawling/walking). After awhile, your body just knows what it's supposed to do.

NR - Screw the people who tell you you can't or don't have enough balls to do what you're doing. Go after your passions and come here when you need the support. Part of believing in yourself is to surround yourself with other people who believe in you. Keep at it :)

Nature Runner--I just spotted

Nature Runner--I just spotted this quote & thought of you!

‎"I cannot have survival as my only goal. That would be too boring. My goal is to come back in my best running form. It is good for me to have that goal; it will help me." -Ludmila Engquist (Olympic champion on facing cancer)

C. Beth Run. wrote:Nature

C. Beth Run. said:
Nature Runner--I just spotted this quote & thought of you!

‎"I cannot have survival as my only goal. That would be too boring. My goal is to come back in my best running form. It is good for me to have that goal; it will help me." -Ludmila Engquist (Olympic champion on facing cancer)

That is a great quote, it really does relate to me too, even though I don't have cancer or anything that severe. I hope this person beats the cancer. I hope to reach my goal and get back if not better than I use to run all the time. Thanks for the thoughts!

That is truly sweet, Beth,

That is truly sweet, Beth, for thinking of NR.