Input on my half marathon training schedule?

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I just put together a schedule to train for my first half. I'm thinking of doing the Dallas White Rock on 12/5, so I based it on that. I was up to about 16 miles weekly (including an 8.85 mile weekend run) before I ditched the shoes. I'm on week 3 of barefoot running; last week was my first fully-barefoot week.

A few notes:
  • I was conservative in adding total weekly mileage but more aggressive on increasing the length of my long run.
    • The total weekly mileage never increases by more than 10% above the highest previous weekly mileage. An exception is this week, when I am increasing mileage by 1.1 miles (17%) over last week, but stretching it out between more runs.
    • The long run never increases by more than 20% from the highest previous long run mileage. Is that pushing too much on the long runs? I really want to do a half this fall or winter but if it's just plain stupid to increase my long run distances that quickly, I can stretch this out; there are half marathons scheduled in January, February, and March near where I live.
  • This week I've started running 5 days a week since my runs are so short. I used to do 3. I want to transition down to 4 days a week (with one of the runs eventually just being a quick one.)
  • The order of the runs on the schedule doesn't really mean anything; within a week the order of the runs will adjust based on distance, my schedule, needed recovery time, etc.
  • Currently I am doing well with the BF running. Calf soreness is my biggest complaint, but it's managable; I'm using the foam roller, icing, and stretching. No TOFP, and my soles are doing quite well.
  • I do various strengthening exercises (legs, arms, core) throughout the week.
  • I plan for all this training to be barefoot or with minimalist shoes. For now I'm 100% BF as I get the hang of my new form.
Here's the schedule. The pink column is my "long run" column. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Man, that's some dedicated

Man, that's some dedicated training. Make sure you don't beat yourself up over missed days and definitely take rest days when you need them. Get strength training in. You are only as strong as your weakest link. I can't stress the importance of deadlifting and lunges. GREAT leg work.

My personal experience with my half (I only started running in February, did my first 5K shod in April, and then got Vibrams a week after that and finished my Half on June 6) is as long as you stick with it and stay consistent, you'll get there.

I don't think I ever did a total weekly mileage, but I made sure I increased my long runs every week. I always tried to do one mile more. The longest run I did before the half was a 12 miler. A good way for recovery is to do a easy one to two mile jog the day after your harder runs. And don't underestimate the power of speed and tempo runs. Interval training is a great way to train and increase your tolerance to lactic acid build-up. Don't skip out on them.

I believe more in the quality of training, not necessarily the quantity :)

And MAKE SURE YOU TAPER. I did no running the week of my Half. Lots of stretching, weight lifting and swimming, but no running. If you've got the long run in, you don't need that 4 or 1 mile the week of your half. Let your body rest.

Thanks for all the input,

Thanks for all the input, Half of Jess! My thought was that the "Day 3" may actually be the day after the long run--recovery run, as you said. I've been focusing a lot more on strengthening my legs in the last couple of months. I started having some mild runner's knee issues so I've been incorporating more leg exercises & hip exercises. I think all that has really helped stabilize my knees. (Plus my knees are happy now that I'm barefoot!!)

I'm nervous about interval training right now since I am still getting the hang of my barefoot form. But once I really get more the hang of it I may turn one of the weekly runs into an interval workout. I think I might be more comfortable doing interval training in minimalist shoes since while sprinting it'll be harder to really keep a sharp eye on the road. (By the way, I really like the High Intensity Interval Training podcasts from GetFitPod.com.)

Thanks for the taper advice too. I wasn't sure how much to taper. For the 10K I did, I just took a couple of days off. But I was having to train pretty intensely to get up to 10K; I think I could take the luxury of taking a bit more time off this time if I want to.

I normally did the short Day

I normally did the short Day 3 recovery run on Day 5. After my first 10-miler, I was tired but not dead. And the next day I did a mild jog for a mile and then stretched. If you have access to a pool, I can't tell you how amazing swimming is for cross-training. It's gnarly cardio and muscle workout but you don't feel as strained, even though swimming a mile is infinitely harder than running a mile.

I did a lot of interval training on the treadmill or at the track but ease into it and do whatever is comfortable for you. I iced my feet quite a bit after my long runs and I stretched like nobody's business :)

But most importantly, HAVE FUN! Just be confident in yourself going into the Half. If you put in the work, you will get the results.

I need to get cranking on marathon training myself so I'll check in with you often. We can do it!

Yes, we can do it! I'll be

Yes, we can do it! I'll be excited to watch how your marathon training is going too! I never thought I'd want the injury risk of a race longer than a half, but when I read Born to Run...and realized that a BF form might be a lot better for my body...it got me to thinking. We'll see how the half goes, but I am definitely not ruling out a marathon in the future!

it looks good to me.  i

it looks good to me. i would say to forget the interval training though. just focus on getting the distance down and strengthening everything this time around. interval training is for when you want to increase your time and pace. right now you dont know what time you are chasing since this is your first so just make sure your body can handle the work load and use this one to set the bar.

sorry jess but i'm going to have to disagree with you slightly in that i like the taper she has planned. the runs on the schedule will keep the body in tune with what it's used to. changing things up the week of the race is not how i like to do it. by that point you want everything in a rhythm and for me changes throw things off.

Hm, personally I like to

Hm, personally I like to relax the week I have a big schbang coming up (like every standardized test I ever took, every evil interview I had) but that's just me. I don't like running week of races because mentally, it makes me feel tired. It's not so much a physical thing but a mental drain and running is just as mental as it is physical.

That said, I also ran my Half without a training schedule. I'm one of those no training schedule people (and my marathon buddy wants to strangle me for it).

So I would actually take Jimmy's advice since he's more of a training schedule person. Experience knows best!

+1  Have fun with your first

+1 Have fun with your first and make future decisions based on your experience. Take care.

Jimmy Hart said:
it looks good to me. i would say to forget the interval training though. just focus on getting the distance down and strengthening everything this time around. interval training is for when you want to increase your time and pace. right now you dont know what time you are chasing since this is your first so just make sure your body can handle the work load and use this one to set the bar.

sorry jess but i'm going to have to disagree with you slightly in that i like the taper she has planned. the runs on the schedule will keep the body in tune with what it's used to. changing things up the week of the race is not how i like to do it. by that point you want everything in a rhythm and for me changes throw things off.

Thanks, Jimmy & sole! Jimmy,

Thanks, Jimmy & sole! Jimmy, I was hoping you'd weigh in with your expert advice. I'll hold off on interval training. As for the taper, I'll do what feels right. I think I'll probably want to be doing some running that week, just knowing myself. (My week would feel weird without any running!) On the other hand, if my body is telling me it needs a break, I'll listen.

So I'll go forward with this and adjust it if necessary based on how I'm feeling!

Jess--It sounds like what you do works for you! I think some of us are just more Type A with our running than others are. :p

One more question--as my weekend runs get longer, should my weekday runs get longer? Before I ditched the shoes, I was doing 4ish and 3ish mile runs during the week, then longer on weekend, so I went back to that, but that means my weekend run will be a pretty high % of my weekly mileage by the end. I could bump up weekday runs by a bit if I needed to.

My first impression was that

My first impression was that your other run days look a little short on distance, however with 5 run days a week that may work fine. I only run 3 days a week and when in training, I fit in a shorter run of 3mi and a mid distance run of 5-7mi along with long run. Are you doing all running and no cross training? I'd be inclined to add mileage from two shorter days together and do a day of cross training on one of those days. But that's just me. Either way, the progression and increase of mileage looks good for long runs and I agree with the taper as well. Good luck!! Most importantly, have fun :)

Zumba--Thanks for the

Zumba--Thanks for the feedback! I may increase the run distance a bit on at least one of the weekday runs, for the last month or so of training.

As for cross-training...okay, I know this is not the best, but the only cross-training I do is strength training & stretching at night, in front of the TV. :) That's just what works for me. I'm motivated to do it because I love running, and I know that the strength training and stretching help me be a healthier runner.

I stay home with my 4- and 2-year-olds, and I'm motivated to run because I love it in a way I've never loved other exercise, and because it fits into my schedule. COULD I go to the pool in my neighborhood and swim? Sure. WILL I? Not very often. And I don't want a gym membership at this point; I've found that having to drive somewhere to work out (and deal with childcare) is just annoying to me. The simplicity of only running and strength training is just too appealing. :)

I hear ya there Beth (also

I hear ya there Beth (also sahm to 7, 5 and 3yr olds), it's hard to find cross training that's enjoyable (that's why I love Zumba and dance so much, it's FUN and a great workout! I loved it so much I decided to become certified to teach it and now get paid to do something I love and still get cross training in :)

If you love running and strength training and it's easy to fit into your schedule, go for it :) If you are ever at all interested in Zumba, there are TONS of videos on youtube, you could just put together a playlist of your favorites and dance the day away with your kiddos :) I'd be happy to share videos too

Thanks! I've heard of Zumba.

Thanks! I've heard of Zumba. I'm not (ahem) the most coordinated of folks (understatement!) but it really is fun to dance with my kiddos. I'll check it out on YouTube and if you know of any particularly good videos, please do send them my way! cbethblog (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks!!

I'd leave the mileage where

I'd leave the mileage where it is, not to argue with yet another person zum :) but you are a stone cold beginner with barefoot running. jumping up and adding miles too fast could be a mistake that causes injuries. you could also be one of those people that will never have an issue and could jump right up to a running 20 a day with no problems. so which one are you? unless you can answer that question i like the play it safe look of your plan.

it's tough not to get overly excited and go for more but there's a lot to be said for playing it safe and that's coming from a guy who likes doing crazy and stuff and just jumping into things. my personal opinion is, if you want to make it to race day healthy i would stick to the plan you worked out. after that we can play with different plans but at this point i dont want to over do it on your newbie feet :)

Jimmy--If you don't think the

Jimmy--If you don't think the runs are TOO short during the week (which obviously you don't) then I'm inclined to follow your advice. And hey, if I dance with my daughter a little during the week, that won't hurt a bit. :) Thanks!

Are you still doing White Rock? A couple of online mommy friends of mine are planning to do the half, so I'm planning to meet up with them. You're doing the full, right? I hope we can have at least a few BRS runners there!

You're right Jimmy, I guess I

You're right Jimmy, I guess I didn't realize that Beth was a beginner to running and being new into barefoot running the mileage is good. I say, go for it and make adjustments as you go if need be:) I'll surely pass along some videos anything by Hickory Girls are good, they've got good energy. One of my videos you can find on my blog, awesome Shakira song (Waka Waka for World Cup) http://barefootmamaslifeinanutshell.blogspot.com/2010/07/waka-waka-at-thursdays-on-first.html

Happy dancing!

Ooh, cool, Zumba, thanks!

Ooh, cool, Zumba, thanks! I'll check out the video.

I'm not brand new to running. I've been running for almost 9 months now and had worked (very gradually) up to about 15 or 16 miles a week, with my longest run being almost 9 miles. But I am still very new to BF running. In other words, if I was still shod I'd be pretty close to being ready for my half! But I'd also still be annoyed by my continuing IT band issues...and I wouldn't be a member of BRS...so I guess all in all I'm happy with where I am. :)