I'll Always Love July

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Alarm went off at 4:30 a.m., windows were open, and I easily hopped out of bed.

There's something about a long summer day that just calls for savoring every minute of it.

Race day registration opened at 7:00, and no way was I gonna get cheated out of a shirt once again!

Sponsored by a regional track club, with a certified course and D-Tag timing, judging by last year's results I would have come in second from last in my age group had I entered in 2009.

My wife and friend cycled an hour while I stretched and answered "Of course" to the bewildered spying my ankle strap, but eventually the horn went off and the race was on.

My fastest 1 mile split for a 5K ever (8:29) felt great, but I knew that the final mile included 1/2 mile of rocks, gravel, and twigs over dirt.

All in all, I was pleased with 28:32 , only nine seconds slower than my PR for the 5K.

Two months ago I didn't even know what PR stood for, and had to guess how many miles would equal a 5K.

It was my last race as a 56 year old, since I just won't have the time after today.

The 5K I plan on racing next will be in Detroit, benefiting the Make A Wish foundation inside a cemetary.

Got to get up at 4:30 again tomorrow, will do the Sunday graveyard race as a 57 year old!

Hey Board, congrats on

Hey Board, congrats on another great race. The tee shirts will get old fast, sorry to burst your bubble. And "Make A Wish foundation inside a cemetary" makes absolutely no sense to me. And once again, "Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Boardster! Happy Birthday to you! "

Thanks TJ,As if the

Thanks TJ,

As if the cemetary/Make A Wish juxtaposition is'nt crazy enough, I wonder if Leno would get a kick out of the included pancake breakfast as well!

http://www.mtelliott.com/events.html

Barefoot TJ wrote:  The tee

Barefoot TJ said:
The tee shirts will get old fast

It was tech and the main logo was a bare foot print!

Agreed about the others though.

Thanks Eric!

Thanks Eric!

Yea, that's what those poor

Yea, that's what those poor dead people want to see... a bunch of healthy bodies running around making racket and eating pancakes.

Have fun and congrats! I like

Have fun and congrats! I like this from the cemetery website:

Know a group or organization looking for speakers? We would be happy to present "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Cemeteries but Were Afraid to Ask" to your group at no charge.Call (800) 989-9020 for more information.

Say hi to Detroit for me - I was just there and fell in love.

jschwab wrote:Ha Say hi to

jschwab said:
Ha Say hi to Detroit for me - I was just there and fell in love.

Pennsylvania's that bad?

Did the movement proud, came

Did the movement proud, came in second in my age group.

Small race obviously, but I was without a doubt the center of attention.

First trip ever to the podium for my prize.

Just as yesterday, I was recommending Jason's book as well as the new "The Barefoot Book" to all interested.

Living 50 miles from my office I never run into patients in my "real" life, but this race was just a few miles away from my practice.

TWO patients were there and recognized me, one doing the walk, and another as a volunteer.

Top it off with today being my birthday, my barefoot wife and one son hanging with us, and we had a bit too much attention to deal with.

Could we retreat to privacy as we prepared to leave? NO!!!!

We had brought Diane's bike so that she could put in an hour of riding as usual, and let her and Sam nap on the drive there, calling for us to take our DIY converted Sprinter as our race vehicle today.

It is a magnet for attention to just about the same level as BFR is, so LB and family were in AW He11 or Heaven, depending on the mood at the time.

JS likes fixer-upper cities?

The beautiful grounds of the cemetary were quite a contrast to the dilapidated neighborhood just outside the gates. Even I would have second thoughts to running barefoot out there.

We will leave soon for a 25 mile bike to birthday lunch with two of the three kids (adults) and us. Art determined that Paleo's did drink beer, right? I'm going Paleo then!

I did run barefoot in

I did run barefoot in Detroitbut it was on the Riverwalk, so pretty cushy - no glass. I run in Philly, though, which has all the sidewalk hazards. Just gotta keep on with it.