I suck at tying my huaraches

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
As much as I love my Luna sandals (which is quite a bit), I usually end up kicking them off in disgust by the end of a run of more than a couple of miles (read: every run). Usually my problem is that the strap between my toes jams against my foot and causes discomfort and other fun stuff.

I know huarache tying is an art, but I'm not all that great at art. So how do you guys prefer your huaraches tied? Loose all over, Tight all over, loose over the foot, etc.?

This is the whole reason why

This is the whole reason why I haven't made or purchased a pair yet. I just know I will suck at tying them the right way.

I use the slip-on method to

I use the slip-on method to avoid having to re-tie them frequently. Even now, I may have to tie them repeatedly before getting it right. I'm getting better, but it's a sharp learning curve. To make matters worse, the lashing material makes a difference. I prefer leather to be slightly tighter.

I had to stop twice and

I had to stop twice and retie mine today. My poor running partner, she is so tolerant.

I have noticed that the leather needs to be looser between your toes, and then tight around your heel. Hard to get right, but when you do, you're golden. I haven't tried the slip on method yet, nor have I tried the hemp laces. Also, the knot (if you do the traditional method) needs to be VERY tight. It is possible to get the loose toe strap/tight heel strap thing going, it's just tricky!

Once I got mine exactly right, they lasted 6 miles with no re-tying. Whew.

Maybe we should have a

Maybe we should have a huarache tying ho down at our meetup next week:p I'm still trying to figure mine out too. I haven't run in them yet, just use them for walking around in public places.

Im with TJ on this

Im with TJ on this one.

That's another great reason about barefoot running, I don't have to deal with laces anymore. It's a bit of OCD, but it used to drive me nuts when I felt I didn't tie my shoe right. I would be running, and constantly thinking I could of tied my shoe better, either tighter, or loosen them up, but I didn't want to stop running.

I still want a pair of huaraches for casual wear and walking. And if I do decide to run in them, I will definitely use the slip-on method.

I had to tie them super tight

I had to tie them super tight all over to get them to feel like they weren't going to flop off, but after a while, the string would cut into the top of my foot. So, I don't wear them any more.

livebyfaith wrote:Im with TJ

livebyfaith said:
Im with TJ on this one.

That's another great reason about barefoot running, I don't have to deal with laces anymore. It's a bit OCD, but it used to drive me nuts when I felt I didn't tie my shoe right. I would be running, and constantly thinking I could of tied my shoe better, either tighter, or loosen them up, but I didn't want to stop running.

Oh me too. Back in the shoe days I would sometimes stop to re-tie a shoe, but then would still have it wrong then keep re-tying every half mile. I tried homemade huaraches, but had the same issues with one feeling looser/tighter/flippier than the other and it would drive me batty. If I'm going to go without shoes, I want to go without tying, too.

I prefer the slip-on method. 

I prefer the slip-on method. It takes a couple of runs and ties to get them adjusted properly.

During last weeks run I had to retie them 4 times during my initial 10 miles and then they were fine for the last 7 miles. I took them on a 12-miler the following day and they felt loose but I didn't feel a need to adjust.

So the slip-ons have to be

So the slip-ons have to be adjusted over and over again too? Am I understanding this correctly?

Barefoot TJ wrote:So the

Barefoot TJ said:
So the slip-ons have to be adjusted over and over again too?

That's what SHE said!

Any hoo...I am fairly certain that if I did get these I would not be able to tie them either. I've watched several of the videos and I know that I would let go of the straps to pause the video and lose the whole knot. I am also fairly certain that I wouldn't be comfortable running in them anyway.

Ram, Ram, Ram, Ram, Ram... 

Ram, Ram, Ram, Ram, Ram...

TJ, I find that I need to

TJ, I find that I need to adjust my sandals even with the slip on method. I think it has more to do with my leather laces than anything though. The hemp ones are supposed to stay tied better.

Norm Deplume

Norm Deplume said:
livebyfaith said:
Im with TJ on this one.

That's another great reason about barefoot running, I don't have to deal with laces anymore. It's a bit OCD, but it used to drive me nuts when I felt I didn't tie my shoe right. I would be running, and constantly thinking I could of tied my shoe better, either tighter, or loosen them up, but I didn't want to stop running.

If I'm going to go without shoes, I want to go without tying, too.

I hear ya!

Actually, the video that was

Actually, the video that was the most helpful is the one of Manuel Luna himself tying his huraches....I think it's on BFT's site.

I'm just happy to have an option that isn't a VFF and isn't killing my toes, so I'm going to bear with them.

That's a good point, Chick.

That's a good point, Chick.

I am not personally a fan of

I am not personally a fan of BFT's tying method. I have used the tying method on the invisibleshoes website with a lot more success.

I switched back to that method yesterday for a 5 mile run and did pretty fantastically. Huaraches still mess with my form a little bit, but it's getting easier.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts