i know its silly and childish maybe, but

Don't get me started on the like button:)

It's well documented now that it influences that way people express themselves and communicate with each other on public forums.
Even if someone likes your post they haven't added anything to the conversation other than the fact that they agree or relate to some of the things being said.

The concept was initially conceived to gather information on populations so they could find out popular trends and in turn work out ways to advertise and sell product to the unsuspecting. It's now being used to influence politics, world affairs and promote radical groups.

I enjoy your posts, there is an honesty about them, but i rarely use the like button in a debate, i'd rather express my opinion and contribute to the converstation, just like i'm doing now.

The truth is everybody want's to be liked, feel part of something bigger than themselves and belong, not everyone is going to agree with what you say, but i wouldn't pay too much attention to the amount of likes you get. Just be yourself and don't get influenced by it.

These days i tend to use the like button to encourage and support people in the mileage reporting forum.

It's well documented now that it influences that way people express themselves and communicate with each other on public forums.
Even if someone likes your post they haven't added anything to the conversation other than the fact that they agree or relate to some of the things being said.

The concept was initially conceived to gather information on populations so they could find out popular trends and in turn work out ways to advertise and sell product to the unsuspecting. It's now being used to influence politics, world affairs and promote radical groups.

I enjoy your posts, there is an honesty about them, but i rarely use the like button in a debate, i'd rather express my opinion and contribute to the converstation, just like i'm doing now.

The truth is everybody want's to be liked, feel part of something bigger than themselves and belong, not everyone is going to agree with what you say, but i wouldn't pay too much attention to the amount of likes you get. Just be yourself and don't get influenced by it.

These days i tend to use the like button to encourage and support people in the mileage reporting forum.
I wanted to say this for a long time now but I am glad you did. The like button is one of the reasons I don't come here as much, is like Mike says "no one here plays anymore". There is hardly any interaction between members anymore, most posts disappear into the big black hole. I rather have people interacting with each instead of just hitting the like button to dead...it's meaningless.

Here are some LIKES for you!
HAHAHA thank you hahah

nope. my likes tally just a tad under my posts. i'm trying to change that with wittier comments but no one here plays anymore. :depressed:
sorry but i didnt understood

I wanted to say this for a long time now but I am glad you did. The like button is one of the reasons I don't come here as much, is like Mike says "no one here plays anymore". There is hardly any interaction between members anymore, most posts disappear into the big black hole. I rather have people interacting with each instead of just hitting the like button to dead...it's meaningless.
omg i cant believe i didnt understood you either, only half, what happens to my english
also you have very pretty feet, they are very aesthethic barefoot dama

thank you skedaddle

i agree with you

i know but i kind of get envy and jealous sometimes happened, i cant avoid feeling that even thou i know its like a kid or something maybe

If memory serves me, we asked the members if they would prefer having it enabled, and the majority said yes.

Oh my goodness! I feel guilty now having clicked Like so often!

I click Like in my VP role to encourage interesting posts. I don't click Like if I think a post is not relevant or not interesting.

I prefer using the Like button to using the Delete button ;)

I must confess to not using the "Like" button very often. It is not that I don't "Like" what is being said - to be honest it rarely crosses my mind. I don't follow the large posts on training regimen - not interested. I like the other conversations about people's reactions, beers , individual runs and other experiences. I also like the tit-for-tat fuynny comments that occasionally surface - after all it is supposed to be fun!

I hereby resolve to using the "Like" button more often!

I must confess to not using the "Like" button very often. It is not that I don't "Like" what is being said - to be honest it rarely crosses my mind. I don't follow the large posts on training regimen - not interested. I like the other conversations about people's reactions, beers , individual runs and other experiences. I also like the tit-for-tat fuynny comments that occasionally surface - after all it is supposed to be fun!

I hereby resolve to using the "Like" button more often!

I am getting twisted up. I thought I should LIKE less often and Reply more. Will I need some therapy?

I am getting twisted up. I thought I should LIKE less often and Reply more. Will I need some therapy?

Lol, probably.:)
The way i see things is that the like button is a binary system, you either like something or you don't, there is no middle ground, it's digital and in no way shape or form 'social interaction'.

Humans live in the grey area of reason and compromise, not in a state of on or off, zero or one.

Even slight differences of thinking within a group is important, passing stories from one generation to another is important, feeling as valued member of the group or tribe is important. All of these things, and many more, get lost under the ambiguity of the like button.

Think about it, we evolved for millions of years without the like button, why all of a sudden has it become so important? What were the true motives of it's inception? It crushes independent thought, after all no one wants to be 'not liked'

I personally want like and embrace you all. I don't need a button to express that. i like to laugh with you, lock horns with you, try to support and encourage where i can, have tantrums when i don't get my own way or feel misunderstood, feed off your strengths when i'm weak or feel vulnarable. It's hard to do this if everyone responds to you by pressing or not pressing a button.

This has no reflection on how i think the forum is run, i see it as a modern day social problem, most of us live in a democracy and I'm happy to accept the wishes of the majority even if i don't agree with some of the practices

Now if you agree or disagree with me, go for it, express your views, lets work through things together and discuss challenging ideas, lets communicate and feel part of something bigger than ourselves.

Hi,
i get kind of envy or angry when the others get a lot of likes whilst my message none press like
I'm sure, you will get a lot of likes the moment you start writing about your own barefoot runs. As far as I have seen, you start a lot of conversations about other stuff (nudism, prettiness of feet, stupidity of shoes, films...) but not about running. I mean, this is mainly a running forum. If you are not interested in sport, that's fine, but don't be astonished if you collect only very few likes.
I usually press the like button* if I think the contribution is either awesome (relative to running or sport in general), interesting (relative to running or sport in general), funny (relative to anything else) or if the writer expresses exactly my point of view. I'm sorry, but with your contributions, this is generally not the case.
(*I should add that I don't read all the threads)

Hi,

I'm sure, you will get a lot of likes the moment you start writing about your own barefoot runs. As far as I have seen, you start a lot of conversations about other stuff (nudism, prettiness of feet, stupidity of shoes, films...) but not about running. I mean, this is mainly a running forum. If you are not interested in sport, that's fine, but don't be astonished if you collect only very few likes.
I usually press the like button* if I think the contribution is either awesome (relative to running or sport in general), interesting (relative to running or sport in general), funny (relative to anything else) or if the writer expresses exactly my point of view. I'm sorry, but with your contributions, this is generally not the case.

OK so how do I double like? With the "+1" nomenclature one could do a "+1000" if desired.
Supposedly "like" button was invented to avoid tons of posts saying stuff like "totally agree with you dude".
Kind of like 30 years ago when folks started saying "dittos Rush" to a much younger but heavier radio entertainer.
Anyways, I totally agree with Hobbit.

Hi,

There is a 'value' being put on the amount of likes someone receives, 'if you act this way you will get more likes'. If you express different values and independent thought you won't get any. This value is a falsehood.

Proof NTB is not a bot.
Ok now is me who doesn't understad and I feel silly. What do you mean Board?

Lol, probably.:)

I personally want like and embrace you all. I don't need a button to express that. i like to laugh with you, lock horns with you, try to support and encourage where i can, have tantrums when i don't get my own way or feel misunderstood, feed off your strengths when i'm weak or feel vulnarable. It's hard to do this if everyone responds to you by pressing or not pressing a button.

Now if you agree or disagree with me, go for it, express your views, lets work through things together and discuss challenging ideas, lets communicate and feel part of something bigger than ourselves.

Precisely! this would be ideal...real communication.

And since we are at it, the one thing that irritates me the most about the like button is when someone posts something about their lives, be it health issues of love ones or ourselves and the post gets lots of likes and hardly no words of encouragement or support. Oh well.

Ok now is me who doesn't understad and I feel silly. What do you mean Board?
If he was really an automated device and not a person posting he would not have recognized the unique aesthetic beauty of your frequently "liked" feet.

If he was really an automated device and not a person posting he would not have recognized the unique aesthetic beauty of your frequently "liked" feet.

Gotya! are you back in Michigan?