I can do this race, right? Help!

SillyC

Barefooters
May 19, 2010
So, I've got the form printed out and filled out, the check written, and the envelope addressed... but I'm getting cold feet about putting it in the box. I can totally do this, though, right?

http://www.gaconline.net/scmain.html

I'm thinking about doing the trail marathon. I've never done a marathon before, but I looked at a few marathon training plans, and I'm ahead of schedule with the long runs just because I like long runs. My weekly mileage is slightly below, but I've been training for triathlons. My last triathlon of the season is in 8 days, so I'll be back to running 6 days a week rather than just 4 very soon.

I did a trail race in May and the huaraches worked out well, so I guess I'l just wear those.

Given that there are only 2 aid stations (totalling 4, because there's a 12 mile loop), with I think an 8-9 mile gap between the second aid station and the first / third on the loop, I'll likely have to carry water, right?

I have to wear a light at the start, but that's cool. I've got like 50 headlamps.

SillyC--I'm definitely not an

SillyC--I'm definitely not an expert, but it sure sounds to me like you are already training for it without even realizing it!! I'd say make sure you get lots of trail running in between now and then, but...I hope you do it and let us know how it goes! :) Good luck!

it's summer...how do you

it's summer...how do you have cold feet? i agree with you and beth...you're good to go if you're on pace with your training already so jump in there already. yes carry water because those are some seriously spaced out aid stations but other than that i think you'll be fine.

be mindful of the fast that a trail marathon can be much more difficult than a road race of any kind so you need to make sure you're good for trails but outside of that, miles are miles.

Thanks Beth and

Thanks Beth and JimmyHart!

I'm about to head out for a 14.5 mile long run, and if I don't want to kill myself at the end, I'm dropping the application in the mail. I think it's unlikely I'll be miserable, though. Really enjoyed last week's 13 miler.

Mr. SillyC is less than supportive. I ran this one by him (since he'll have to take the kids to swimming lessons) and he said, "That's crazy. I don't know why anyone would want to do something like that. Have fun. Or whatever."

I agree with Jimmy's warning

I agree with Jimmy's warning on trail marathons. Depending on the terrain you could expect to put an extra hour or more onto your time, which can be difficult for the first time marathoner. Take a look at the course profile to see how challenging the terrain is before making your decision. Otherwise I think you'll be fine.

I'm not one to comment on

I'm not one to comment on whether or not you're ready for something like this, since I have no experience there myself. What I do know is that whatever you set your mind to, you are one to accomplish it. You're also a smart runner, Silly. You'll figure it out.

I'm with TJ, I think you'll

I'm with TJ, I think you'll be just fine. I'd be inclined to get some cross training in to help work other muscles that might get worked over during a trail race. HOWEVER, that being said. I've never run a trail run in my life. LOL

Sounds like you're right on track, you can do it!:)

You can do it, but as you

You can do it, but as you know trails are much different and more technical. I do very little trail running, but they seem to take more out of you. Trails are more fun than road running though.

Yes I would definitely carry a handheld if there are only 2 water stations.