I ate a 5K for breakfast and I'm still hungry.

swedishpimple

Barefooters
Jul 18, 2010
Less the 2 weeks after finishing my first... unofficial BFR 5K+ and I am now running them routinely (albeit slowly).

Anyway... this morning I had a great relaxed run of 3.41 miles. It felt awesome... and here it is later in the day and I still feel great. In fact I feel so good that I even have to urge to run again this afternoon.

I can't say that this has ever happened to me before. I'm at a loss for what to do.

I'm 5+ months into my BF training. By almost all measures I have taken things very slowly. Is it worth risking TMTS to pull a double this soon? and if so When Do I stop having to worry about potential injury?

I'm already on track to add more than 10% in distance and pace this week. I hear echoes in my head of all the "I'm hurt" posts I've ever read, and I can't help but be apprehensive. And yet my feet feel great, my legs feel great, my heart feels great... simply put I want more.

Ultimately it's my call... I know that.... but please help me out.

I ate a 5k for breakfast and I'm still hungry.

S. Pimp.

Im trying to go by "Eat when

Im trying to go by "Eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired" so I say run some more if you want to. If there's nothing bothering you there shouldn't be any risk as long as you stop if/when you stop feeling great.

Thanks Blind Boy.I ended up

Thanks Blind Boy.

I ended up opting not to run. Other things came up instead... so I never had to really decide.

This topic did get me thinking a bit though...

So the question I eluded to earlier still stands.... When is one able to stop worrying about potential injury and doing TMTS?

Everything I have read seems to suggest that adaptation can take a long time... for new BF runners I've heard everything from a few months to a couple of years. Ligaments, tendons, bones, joints, skin, and muscles all need to be able to adapt to whatever activity is being asked of them. Aside from a totally new activity - changes in form, pace, distance can also add new types of stress to which the body must adjust.

I'm new to running and BFR... so my body is still adapting in ways most of yours have already gone through. I think this it is for this reason as much as anything that I am being very cautious at this point.

S. Pimp.

You are thinking to much,

You are thinking to much, just run. Go for 4 miles this weekend, then 5 miles next week. Or just go for run with no distance and run as far as you can until your body starts giving you some signs to stop. You have to push through your comforzt zone. Barefoot running seems to hold alot of people back, you will be amazed of what you can accomplish.

I don't think there is such a

I don't think there is such a point. You're always at risk of injuring yourself if you do too much. I think the breaking point moves as you become more experienced though and as long as you don't do anything extraordinarily stupid you'll be fine. I have no idea how long it takes to reach that point though, I've only been doing this since last summer and I still get the occasional "newbie" ache.

BB is right that there is

BB is right that there is never a point where you can say "i'll never have to worry about injuries anymore" I've been running bare for nearly 14 years both as part of my training and full time form and I wound up hurt recently and am still dealing with it.

I was doing some sprint work on the track and wound up with a heel spur because I pushed too hard. I've done that same workout for years and yet on this day I got injured. I pushed so much pressure through my foot that it literally peeled back my bone and bam I'm dealing with an injury.

14 years and more miles than I can count and I still have to make sure I don't get hurt so there is no point where that will happen. I do agree with Mr Faith and you need to just enjoy the ride more. You're very calculated and I respect that but if you feel good then odds are you are ok. If you start to feel too much tightness in your feet, ankles, calves, or whatever then you have the sign to back off. Listen to the signs and you're good.

One of the awesome things

One of the awesome things about bfr for me is the capacity to do multiple runs a day. Even when I first started there were plenty of days when I felt just like you and went out for a 5 or 10k for lunch too. I would say about three times a week I would run twice a day.

I also think that injuries tend to be more related to speed and large increases in distance more so than actual mileage in pieces. If you know what I mean.

I don't think you are every

I don't think you are every totally out of the woods on the temptation for TMTS. Even Olympic athletes overdo it somethimes trying new speeds and distances. I've been running barefoot for over a year, including a marathon in VFFs, yet after moving last month to an area that is all hills, and maintaining my milage and intensity, I have a wicked TMTS injury. I kept going because it was so fun being in a new place, and because I was new to hills and loving the challenge. I didn't think I was really over doing it because, other than sore calves the first week, I felt great. Now I'm looking at possible surgery,
rainclod.gif

Ugh Wendy I sure hope not.

Ugh Wendy :( I sure hope not. Sorry this injury is still plaguing you.

Pimp, I think you're fine to up the mileage. If it's feeling great, go for it :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test