Hydration AND electrolytes, duh...

So I was talking to my father in law yesterday about how I've recently discovered how tight my legs were. He first asked how much water I was drinking, which I replied that my water bottles are 750 ml (approx. 25oz) and I am drinking 5 of these a day. So I am plenty hydrated (maybe even slightly over hydrated). He then asked me about if I am taking in enough electrolytes. Hmmmm, I don't know I said. I don't drink any gatorade or anything like that. He told me to look into that as he thought lack of electrolytes can cause tight muscles just the same as dehydration can.

I was busy so I didn't have time to look into it until this morning, but I've found that a lack of magnesium and/or a lack of sodium can cause muscles tightness. Could it be that my not using salt the last couple years and my less than stellar consumption of veggies are contributing to my muscle tightness? I'm not a big fan of processed foods (gatorade and powerade or other powder or pill forms of electrolyte replacement), but from what I have seen apparently eating certain foods like bananas or avacados can help to greatly replenish electrolytes naturally. Pretty interesting so I am going to start trying to naturally replace my electrolytes with whole foods and see if I can get the muscles to loosen up.

Reactions: OdiarAmor
proper diet has a lot to do with it as well as muscle balance, or imbalances. i wish i could remember what it was and will put it here when i find it but there is a veggie with more potassium than bananas. balance is the key to everything and eating salt isn't bad. processed foods, well.

Grocery stores sell potassium as a salt substitute. I stopped using table salt and started using potassium salt a few years ago. It took my taste buds about 18 months to acclimate to the taste.

As for whether you actually need more electrolytes, why not get copies of your bloodwork from over the last few years?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test