How not to look like Sasquatch?

Gidds

Barefooters
Aug 28, 2011
I tried shooting some video for gait/form critique last night around sundown and was not pleased with the result, although it is proving to be a learning experience. How long should it be? From what angle? Android and iPhone tips and tricks? What's useful and what's not? What am I looking for anyway?
I know a few partial answers because I have read Tina & Angie Bee's coaching page but I want to know more. Post your videos too if you like.
Yes, I know these look a lot like the Patterson-Gimlin Film.:p If you want to comment on my form/gait go for it, but I have some skeletal "caveats" (scoliosis and see attached knee photos), so I am not sure how much of it can be fixed.
knees.jpgknees1.jpg

Reactions: Sid
The only thing I noticed is you seem to be landing to far ahead of your body. Try pulling up with your leg (foot to butt motion but not thta high if you are going slow)and raising your cadence a bit to see if that helps. Its pretty normal though for BF runners intially.

No it was a pair of F-18s I think. There is no "low air traffic" time around here. It's not as bad as it sounds, I rather like all the different kinds of aircraft. Lots of Ospreys, helicopters,C-130S, and fighter jets of various models.

Claw- you have to admit I have the she-squatch walking gait down. The Patterson-Gimlin film was the first thing that came to mind when I watched my video.

I cant see the videos (youtube is blocked here) but I have been meaning to shoot my form as well, some lingering foot issues still after a year I think I should be over. But the title reminded me of my high school days... my dad would take some pics whenever he was able to make it to a crosscountry meet and a lot of them my mom says I looked like a caveman. My arms would be down, nearly straight, like I was running without swinging my arms. And my thumbs would always be ointed straight out. Usually it was just the start/finish line he would get pics, so he was probably getting my form at its worse.

Barefoot running - so easy a caveman can do it ;)

I really have the same question, and I think the answer comes with going faster.
The "other" place had a past discussion that you might find relevant. I am going to try out the ideas. I think you look fine when you run, but I look rather dorky. I really want to speed up from extra slow(15min/mile) to somewhat slow (10min/mile).

Here is a link to Angie and Tina's coaching page (maybe we can lure them in to talk to us). Here is a link to their video instructions. I have been thinking about getting some coaching from them but it's not in my budget quite yet. I know there are a few things I can look at myself, from reading here, and then I can have them help me further.

I've never seen myself run before and was curious, especially since I have a crooked spine. Hubby took a pic of me running in huaraches, while BIL was chasing me on a bike, and I've seen enough stuff on here to realize I was over striding. Also I have been walking about a mile in socks (it's cold) every morning before work and it's been giving me a good idea about how some of my various skeletal anomalies effect my gait.

I was also watching my friend run from behind the other day and noticed his left foot points out when he lands, instead of straight ahead. My right one, the most troublesome one, does that sometimes. I am trying to figure out why it does that and what it does to my gait but the above video instructions say that a behind view isn't needed. BUT somebody else on here (don't recall who, somebody from the German chapter I think) posted a video and somebody else made a really interesting comment about his core seeming weak and him not having much control about where his legs were going.I wondered how you tell that from watching a video.

I was really curious about that because I know for a fact my core is weak, it's something I've struggled with all my life, and I've always been told if I strengthen it then the problem with my back, while minor, will be somewhat alleviated.

Anyway, that's why I want to be able to shoot a really good video to look at and try to work on things. By the way thanks to anybody who gave me some feedback. One of the reasons I am really unhappy with these videos is I was rushing because it was getting dark and while that is definitely my normal walking stride the running stride is not my typical one (not that my typical is any better). Plus I was getting irritated with my phone because I was trying to balance it on the bench, propped up with my VFF, to keep my feet in the frame and it kept falling over and I was generally feeling grumpy about all this. Like I said, the bad video was a learning experience.

Oh and I am seriously contemplating conning hubby into riding next to me on a bike with his camera-on-a-stick set up while I run. Said conning will most likely be difficult, so I want to know if this is a waste of time before I try it:p

Thanks Gentile, I read Jason's blog (and yours) and I missed that post. Keeping Jason's post in mind; there are some times when I know I am doing it right, I can tell. I still want to know what it looks like though, and I need to be able to figure out how to do it all the time.

Reactions: clawhammer72
Thanks Gentile, I read Jason's blog (and yours) and I missed that post.
Possibly because it was just from today...
But I have always agreed with Jason, and forums are great but often times too many folks give lots of advice based on their experience which may or may not be good for anyone else. As a newer barefooter myself I am careful asking for advice, and never take anything for gospel just because someone said something. I might try certain things I hear here but I always try to listen to my body first. i'd like to do the video, not neccessarily to get a bunch of advice, but just to see since I am a big nerd. Things look completely different, especially when you slow them down.

I think I found the secret source of wisdom of this forum. They are all elves.
"And it is also said," answered Frodo: " 'Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.' "—Gildor and Frodo, The Fellowship of the Ring: "Three Is Company", p. 93Sometimes I wish people with experience would reveal some of their actual experience, and let us take it for what it is -- one person's experience.
No advice can be just as unhelpful as bad advice.

I will give some advice. First off, do not worry about how you walk barefoot, complete waste of time to put energy into the thought process if you are walking barefoot correctly. When you walk barefoot, that's your natural stride, leave it alone.

The running part, you seem very tense, you need to relax more. Also you seem to be shuffling along. Pick up your feet more, increase your cadence. On your next run as a drill, emphasize the knee lift more, and increase cadence. Think about riding a bike, keep a nice tight circular motion going on under the hips (The bike analogy is from KenBob).

But overall you look great, you are well on your way!

Possibly because it was just from today...
Sorry, I have been outside napping on the beach, riding my bike, watching birds, and reading in the backyard ALL day and haven't had time for Google Reader yet today:p

Thanks Gentile (& Abide). I will work on those points. My interest in my walking gait is that my knees and hips aren't aligned like a "normal" persons and sometimes my right foot twists as my knee wobbles if I am pushing off and not being mindful about picking up my feet. I then get blisters. Again, it's something I am trying to learn to do consistently. I've been working on being able to walk without pain, like a "normal" person, for the better part of two, almost three, years now. This year I have been able to run a solid mile, barefoot, consistently, without pain, which is a major first. Obviously I would be doing none of this without barefoot, this forum, good books like Jason's, etc.

So, on a related note, I watched my work friend finish a 13.1 a few weeks ago, this is the same friend I mentioned before. Most of the finishers did not look happy or like they were having fun. I noticed that a lot of people have one foot that points out at a 30-45 degree angle, instead of straight ahead, when they run. I also have one that does this sometimes, the blistery twisty foot. What's up with that? How does that effect running?

Sorry, I have been outside napping on the beach, riding my bike, watching birds, and reading in the backyard ALL day and haven't had time for Google Reader yet today:p

Thanks Gentile (& Abide). I will work on those points. My interest in my walking gait is that my knees and hips aren't aligned like a "normal" persons and sometimes my right foot twists as my knee wobbles if I am pushing off and not being mindful about picking up my feet. I then get blisters.

Oops, I forgot about your condition, I wasn't thinking about that when I made my post, I apologize. I completely understand the importance of your walking gait as well:)