How many people ran or biked the last triathelon you were in?

jimfootbare

Chapter Presidents
May 7, 2011
Im wondering if this is a small few- or a rapidly growing sect.

That is, People chosing to ditch shoes all together, even if a slight time loss is noticed on the bike. Im assuming that the bike could be a mile or 2 per hour faster with clips....(and my feet dont have the right bolt pattern for clipless)...lol

Follow up- how is any one feeling about moving from shod Tri's to barefoot?

My first BF Tri is one month away....any storys related would be sweet....FBJim

I don't tri barefoot, but I

I don't tri barefoot, but I do wear my Bikilas on the run. As for the bike, I like wearing shoes. I went down during my last race and I can only imagine what a crash at 20+mph would do to my feet. Not sure I'd be able to finish the race. But there are people here who do tri bare. I don't think I've seen anyone barefoot at any of my races, but I've seen a few others rocking the VFFs.

I am training for my first

I am training for my first Tri and I'm planning on doing this first one with the VFFs on bike and run. There is actually a triathlete coach that has started doing his Tris with the VFFs on bike and run. I'm still considering clips though.

Thats great- I agree, clips

Thats great- I agree, clips are needed and foot protection on the bike is essential. I have a patent on a minimalist bike shoe. actually 7 diffrent proto types. I may travel the us this year to expo them, mostly sprints and olympic distance- this creation is not for the top level tri-athleats....they have the shoe part figured out. this product is for those who want safety and minimalist combined. follow up with me at [email protected] if you have interest in this?

Jim

I usually bike in my flip

I usually bike in my flip flops, and I did my only tri in them. The looks from others were great. On the other hand I have never crashed on my bike on the road so I'm not too worried about it. Or maybe I just don;t ride fast enough? Dirtbag wiped a couple of races back but I would never have taken that turn as fast as he did :)

Honestly though for a amatuer triathelete the potential time you would lose from not clipping in is really non-existent.

I've only wrecked once and

I've only wrecked once and I'm glad I had shoes on. Guy slammed on his breaks in front of me when I was just off his back tire. He had no reason to slam on the breaks like that other than inexperience. The person in front of him had slightly slowed down by not peddling for a few seconds. The guy was not used to riding in packs and let me tell you, I was tore up thanks to this. My bibs were almost cut in half from the pavement on the side and I almost had to drop out of the century because my ass was hanging out. In any case I think I might be a little nervous to bike without shoes. I do wish their was a shoe that was wide and flat on the inside though. That would mean a lot to me and I wouldn't lose much, if any speed or anything else.