How many hours of cross training do you get in a week?

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I have to admit, while I'm happy I'm still getting in 3 runs a week...I wish I could be getting longer runs than 4-5mi. Though with my instructing schedule (which constitutes the majority of my cross training), my husband's schedule, getting stuff done around the house before winter, kids school etc etc my distance has taken the back burner a bit. However, hoping that keeping up a good number of cross hours a week will help me in increasing my mileage when the time comes to make it more of a priority (aiming for a marathon next May).

For cross I get ~5hrs high impact xt, sometimes more, occasionally less and ~3-4hrs low impact xt

Are most of you running or getting equal hours/amounts of cross training as runs? What's your split/routine?

not really a good one to

not really a good one to reply I guess....as I see running as my "cross training" LOL....although, I do have to say, it feels more like it's part of my regular life....which is about training :-D. My week is like this: aprox. 15-18 hours of Kung Fu (some of those teaching, some "taking", included in that is not just striking/kicking, when I talk about my kung fu, I mean all aspects, grappling, weapons, internal styles (Tai chi, Chi Qong) not to mention all the calistenics we do in class--as an example, a beginners class starts with 60-100 pushups of various kinds, tons of ab work, and stance work--holding low stances for periods of time....for advanced class double or triple that on any given day, and combination drills, sparring, bag work, etc.....then add 9 teaching hours of Yoga, and 5-7 hours of yoga practice)

Most currently, I've been running every other day, 4-8 miles per run...but miss the running six days a week I was doing before I hurt myself....and trying not to over do it, this week, kicked it up again, hopefully if I get a chance to run tomorrow, that will give me 4 days this week...but I did two runs today ;-).

I work my running in before my first yoga class of the day. I really see it now as a valuable part of understanding my lively-hood and my life.

My busiest day of the week is thursday, and with my run, it looks like this:

7AM Yoga class (the one "class" a week I do my own practice, it's a silent follow along class)

8:20-9:30 Run

9:30-9:45 a little weight lifting (because I like doing curls, bench presses, and shoulder presses)

10-11AM teach a yoga class

12PM-2PM Kung fu (take class, and teach as well....thursdays are leg days, so they are heavy on kicking and leg conditioning techniques)

LUNCH!!!!

paper-work/business related stuff...Maybe a little nap too....

5PM-6 Kids kung fu class

6-7 yoga class (there is a beginner kung fu class at this time...but I have a yoga class to teach)

7-8:30 Kung Fu class

And finally home!!! ;-) Like I said, all days aren't like that, Thursday is my busiest day...on other days, remove either one yoga class, or one kung fu class, and you pretty much have my life :-D.

I figured you'd chime in with

I figured you'd chime in with hundreds of hours a week of activity Cube, lately...feels like my runs are xt too:p Sounds like you keep busy and out of trouble. Nice balance of physical activities though, which is why Im' sure you are able to pull it all off (well besides the fact that your fitness level is probably through the roof)

zumba For my half Ironman

zumba

For my half Ironman triathlon training, I run 3-4 hrs/week, Biking ~5 -7 hrs and swimming ~2-3 hrs, core 1 hrs.

Total hours ~10 - 15/week.

With this type of spread I took 20 mins off my marathon time when I was just running and doing core work.

and why I'm a HUGE fan of

and why I'm a HUGE fan of long naps on one's office floor in-between classes!!!

As my running improves, I'm trying to figure out how to get a 12-15 mile run in once a week, and a 20 mile run in twice a month :)...I have some ideas though :-D

I'm "that guy" who just runs.

I'm "that guy" who just runs. I don't do anything else. I'd like to and I've tried to get a routine going but I can never keep up with anything. I'm not exactly a couch potatoe, I am active but it's usually chasing kids and doing yard work.

However, if 12oz arm lifts count as xtraining I'm an expert!

Any suggestions for what I can do to get started? I have a pull-up bar and exercise bands.

barefoot ramzev wrote:I'm

barefoot ramzev said:
I'm "that guy" who just runs. I don't do anything else. I'd like to and I've tried to get a routine going but I can never keep up with anything. I'm not exactly a couch potatoe, I am active but it's usually chasing kids and doing yard work.

However, if 12oz arm lifts count as xtraining I'm an expert!

Any suggestions for what I can do to get started? I have a pull-up bar and exercise bands.

Crossfit is great, you can start out with just the bodyweight workouts to see if you like them. It is easy to do at home with a minimal amount of equipment and they are usually fast workouts 5-30 min a day.

I usually run as much as I do

I usually run as much as I do everyhting else. So I usually do something for 8-15 hours a week. Half is running and the other half is usually crossfit stuff, with some biking, yoga, pilates or swimming a few times a week. I can usually run and do a crossfit wod in an hour so they work together really well.

Hey, I'm "that guy" too, Ram,

Hey, I'm "that guy" too, Ram, or well, "that girl."

Wow nakedsolenate, your life

Wow nakedsolenate, your life is a continuous workout! Ever worry about burning out?

I have been serously considering starting some martial art training.

I'm intrigued with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

There's a local dojo that I want to visit and check out.

I've become a big fan of body weight exercise the past 12 months mainly due to the simplicity of it. The only equipment I use is a combo pullup/dip bar.

I also have a one pood kettlebell that I occasionally use.

So I've been doing 30 minute body weight workouts 5 or 6 days a week and follow those workouts a couple days a week with a 30 minute bfr run. That's working well for me right now.

And love to surf when ever there are waves.

Yeah bframzev, start using that pullup bar. A good full body routine that's really effective and only three exercises is: set of pullups, squats, and pushups. Just do a couple reps each if you want and gradually increase reps as yo get stronger.

That's the core of my body weight workouts plus some stretching, various bridges and running couple days a week.

BFR Dave.....I have wondered

BFR Dave.....I have wondered about it....since I've been doing this for a decade, and haven't burned out yet, I'm wondering where that limit is LOL....although, to be honest, I do get a little "burned out" by TEACHING yoga every few months...not doing yoga, but teaching it....never have that problem with martial arts, teaching martial arts you are doing a lot of it too....teaching yoga, you are not doing yoga (at least you shouldn't be) you are paying attention and adjusting students. The not having two days off in a row three weeks at a time gets to me, since I have sat. classes the first 3 saturdays of the month...I really look forward to months like this where there are 5 saturdays, it means I get 2 full weekends!! When I rest my body, I really rest it too...I don't really do a whole lot of physical activity when I'm "on vacation" or I have a day off...I sit alot LOL. AND I am a firm believer in naps....I get one almost every day.

We'll see how eventually adding more distance in my running effects me!

I bet you sleep really well

I bet you sleep really well too Nate. Thats one thing I really like about being extremely active, you get way more relaxed, and you never have to feel lazy when your not doing anything, because you already accomplished something that day. Maybe I should start doing a lot more stuff, because now that I'm thinking about it, I do really miss that feeling. When I was doing 10 miles a day (except weekends) this summer, I could come home after my run and just sit on the couch for like an hour staring at the wall, and not be bored or anything. I would just sit and rest, and think. I wouldn't be able to handle that much mileage now, and really I couldn't then either, it was wearing me down, but I started doing a lot more biking and swimming and actually running regulary I could get near the level of activity. I probably should be doing that to train for my Iron Man anyways.

As for my cross training right now, yeah, I haven't been doing any. I actually haven't even run for two weeks. I'm definitely gonna get back into it now though, and hopefully that two week break will be my final brain "reset" to change me over from a shod running mindset to a barefoot mindset. I'm just gonna try to get in a 30-45 minute run every other day, and then really slam the swimming and biking when I can. (Hooray for being a lifegaurd and not having to pay to swim laps.) Swim team is starting up in november anyways, so I need to be getting myself into some kind of shape again. And of course, like I said before, I need to be training for that Iron Man in a year and a half.

Ram, pushups are a good place

Ram, pushups are a good place to start...awesome for the core and arms. As is raking leaves into ginormous leaf piles, digging gardens etc, playing, dh likes p90x (I do the ab ripper and some other core work from that), and no kidding about the monkey bars...it's not as easy as it looks, though lots of fun;) You may get strange looks from other parents LOL, ta hell with 'em. Not that I take you for the kind of fella who really gives a damn what other parents think anyway;)

Barker, that rocks!! Just goes to show what good it does for your body to mix things up a bit. When's your event?

Hey Dave....I have two

Hey Dave....I have two speeds....go and stop....not sure it's super healthy :-D And, actually, I've never liked "excersise for excersises sake"...I'm in good shape because of the things I like to do, I don't do the things I do to get or stay in shape...I also like to drink too much, eat chocolate, and I am a fan of long naps. With much yang, much yin is needed to find balance :-D.

I check out the crossfit

I check out the crossfit site, it says;

"We are a "minimalist program"and this is reflected by the functionality and limited number of our exercises and the simplicity of the equipment we use compared to most commercial gyms. An Olympic weight set and a place to do pull-ups and dips is essential to doing CrossFit."

Since I only have a pull up bar and I have never lifted a weight in my life, I don't think this will be a fit. Not that I have any issues with weights, I just don't have the desire to buy them or pay for a gym membership. I think I'll just go with the standard pull up/push up/sit up middle school PE routine.

There are a ton of bodyweight

There are a ton of bodyweight workouts on the website. The main thing is hitting the workout's with maximum output. So you have to be pretty motivated for it to be successful. I'll send you a list of with a bunch of body weight workouts when I get a chance at work tomorrow.