Hot pavement

jeffacoon

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
Went out to run a barefoot mile on black asphalt at noon. It was a little hot! Damned if I didn't feel a blister forming at the 3/4 mile mark. Why do they always form at the same places?

I have read that hot pavement is like anything else. You just get your feet used to it slowly. What are your experiences on hot pavement? Is it all about the foot pad?

I avoid running at noon on

I avoid running at noon on asphalt. Blisters formed by hot asphalt are very painful, especially if you are out in a middle of a run and have to get back to your car or home or somewhere. Yes, I've heard you can build up a tolerance to blistering from hot surfaces, but I'm too chicken to try it that way. I have, however, adapted nicely to the low 30s high 20s in dry weather.

My feet have become a bit

My feet have become a bit more accustomed to running on hot pavement after having done it all summer, however like TJ I try to avoid running during peak heat. Either that, or find routes that are more concrete and less black asphalt. I picked up a pair of huaraches for times when it's unavoidable, haven't been able to run in them yet though. Low and behold, fall's upon us here in MN so it may not be until next year that I can report back on that :p

Yeah, fall has reared it's

Yeah, fall has reared it's head here in Michigan as well.

I no longer will have to plan on early morning pre-frying pan runs , but soon will have to wait for the road to heat up a bit before tackling it barefoot!

Even in NC?

Even in NC?

It's finally cooled down to

It's finally cooled down to the low 90's and upper 80's here in NE Tn. It's pretty tolerable now that it's cooling down a little. Suppose to be in mid 80's next week yay! ;)

Same here, NR, but it seems

Same here, NR, but it seems cooler here in Georgia by early evening.

I'm still a n00b but I've

I'm still a n00b but I've gotten blisters from the heat as well. I was lucky enough for them to not keep me out of running for any length of time, but they sure did hurt for a few hours! Here in FL it's still in the mid-90s during the day and it will be hot until around December - but at least it won't be miserable. :) Actually, now it's cooling off in the evenings pretty nicely so it's less of an issue.

Nice to know I'm not the

Nice to know I'm not the only one to have garnered a few heat blisters. Took a couple of times, but I am avoiding mid day runs myself on asphalt. The blisters can arrive pretty quickly if I misjudge the heat.

jeffacoon wrote: Nice to

jeffacoon said:
Nice to know I'm not the only one to have garnered a few heat blisters. Took a couple of times, but I am avoiding mid day runs myself on asphalt. The blisters can arrive pretty quickly if I misjudge the heat.

I've been lucky and haven't had one of those yet. It may be because my pads are tough or conditioned from always being barefoot. I don't drive up to my running place and take off the shoes and socks, I am already there lol. Sometimes I get whacky comments from going to the gas station barefoot in winter :) Walking barefoot alot does help with the blistering.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test