Hot-footed Evening

There was a one hour 'training session' before the walk where they get you in the right frame of mind. Positive thinking is the main requirement [edit] from participants :)

Some more photos

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405293373.989012.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405293410.705355.jpg

Ah, you crazy barefoot nuts! Did anyone or you walk on the other side of the embers, the bigger chunks? Are those hotter?

There was a one hour 'training session' before the walk where they get you in the right frame of mind. Positive thinking is the main requirement :)

Actually not. If you look at the physics of it, the preparation of the coals is what really matters. They need to have a high temperature but a low heat density. If they are not prepared properly, the right frame of mind will do you no good.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I saw Oprah walking on fire (coals) on TV not too long ago. It might have been old footage though.

I saw Oprah walking on fire (coals) on TV not too long ago. It might have been old footage though.

"Footage." Heh, heh. She said "footage".

Don't get me wrong. It's a neat thing to do, and it is a significant mental achievement to overcomes one's fears and one's expectations. But it just doesn't depend on one's mental state.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
OMGawd, Sid! Thanks for that, yea right.

I over bleached my right hand about a week ago working in it for four hours. My hand swelled to 1-1/2 times, and I had some deep white "bruises" and red splotches with sores everywhere. After I finally fell asleep, with my hand in a bucket of ice (yes, ice for anyone who remembers that conversation), I woke with horrible itching and tightness in my right hand, so I removed the right wrist splint I wear for carpal tunnel while I sleep, and my hand was huge. I guess that's kinda like a chemical burn. Don't ask. I didn't realize I didn't dilute the bleach well enough and was just in a hurry to get the cleaning done. Then, a few days later, I burned the same hand cooking with olive oil when I tried to move the skillet from the eye, and the oil splashed everywhere. I have a 3rd degree burn running longways down my middle finger, and splatter burns on my right leg. It burned off the scabs that had formed from the bleach! It's very, very painful, and I finally was able to shower today, taping a glove over my hand. So seeing that video makes me shiver.

Okay, here are some pictures of my "man hand." My hands don't normally look so man-like, but they're pissed of right now, and I don't blame them. They wonder what I am going to do next to Righty. My camera gets blurry in certain conditions, so it's the best I could do. I should have taken pictures when they were fresh, especially of the bubble. It was the biggest blister I have ever seen. You know how we all love good blisters. It popped on its own during the night, when I got up, and I felt it trickle down my hand.

Bleached hand taken two or three days after.
BleachedRightHand.jpg

Burned hand a few days later.
BurnedRightHand.jpg

Don't get me wrong. It's a neat thing to do, and it is a significant mental achievement to overcomes one's fears and one's expectations. But it just doesn't depend on one's mental state.

Haha. I didn't mean it was ALL to do with positive thinking Ahcuah. Of course I knew the science involved. I already knew about heat transfer and the science was explained fully to everyone during the 'training'.

Positive thinking was the only thing that I could bring to the table - apart from not tripping like the guy above Sid :)

I can however assure everyone that it was hot and you do burn if you hang around too long. I can also advise that there were 10 people last Saturday who walked off the end of those low heat-transfer coals feeling like better, stronger persons, which has to be a good thing.

PS - Sorry to talk about hot stuff when you are suffering with your hand TJ. Take it easy and look after yourself.