Horrible running conditions!!

Bill B

Barefooters
Dec 28, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Although the weather is a beautiful -15C outside, we had a warm spell about 10 days ago, that brought rain, freezing rain, then the temp dropped and we got a fair bit of snow. Now the snow lies on top of a nice layer of ice! Makes running very dicey! Although my form stays intact, I find it very hard to relax, especially my upper body. Find my upper back is tight between the shoulder blades. BTW, I live in the country, and snow plows are like Pope's teeth in a whore house!! Me thinks my massage therapist might be getting a call in the very near future!!

Yes, you're not running for speed or joy so much as just getting in some milage. And winter miles like you're talking about are great for building intestinal fortitude. I feel like damn near anything is just plain easy after hard winter running. And BFG is dead on. You might well not relax on a run until the spring thaw, but your form will benefit from all those careful steps.

I take a bit of it back, though: with the right attitude you can wring some positive joy from good winter runs as you get better at them. (Even if it's of the "God, I'm glad to be done with that!" variety.)

Yes, you're not running for speed or joy so much as just getting in some milage. And winter miles like you're talking about are great for building intestinal fortitude. I feel like damn near anything is just plain easy after hard winter running. And BFG is dead on. You might well not relax on a run until the spring thaw, but your form will benefit from all those careful steps.

I take a bit of it back, though: with the right attitude you can wring some positive joy from good winter runs as you get better at them. (Even if it's of the "God, I'm glad to be done with that!" variety.)

It's not that bad that I'm glad to be done, just that I feel a lot more tired that usual. Definitely like the "glass is half full" mentality!!:)

I hear that the U.K. is getting hit with some real winter weather this year. My sister in law lives on a moderately steep street in Salisbury and described her adventures in heroic terms.