Hoorag Review

C-Dog

Barefooters
Jun 22, 2010
Today I am going to write a review of the Hoorag. I received a Hoorag free in a contest over at the Barefoot Runners Society. I have used it for 3 workouts now, and I think I am ready to give my opinion.
Those of you who have read my blog know that I love skull caps, so it seems like the Hoorag is right up my alley. Let’s just say that I was pumped waiting for it to Arrive.
But first, let’s start with the un boxing…

Pretty snappy looking right? Just my sort of color
icon_smile.gif

On, the day I received my Hoorag I was scheduled for some weight lifting. So I went over the website style recommendations and ended up going with “The Pirate”.

The Pirate is basically a single layer of Hoorag over the my head. My first impression was one of comfort. It reminded me of a Skullcap to an extent, and it felt completely secure.
My experience with it in the weight room at Tracy Performance Fitness was definitely positive. I liked that it helped keep the sweat out of my eyes, and it didn’t feel particularly tight like skull caps can. I didn’t have an problems with it getting looser or falling off in any way. And it seemed to absorb the sweat pretty well. So, for Weights it definitely gets the nod of approval.
After the first day, I wore the Hoorag 2 other times last week. In both of those runs I chose to try the Hoorag in the “Beanie” style. The Beanie is accomplished by folding the Hoorag over itself basically. So it ends up with 2 layers of cloth over the top of your head, they are thin though so it doesn’t cause any real extra warmth. There is a small “knot’ like twist at the top of the Beanie, but it didn’t cause me any problems. On the first run, I ran at night so I had my Headlamp on top of the Hoorag. There is always some danger there that the head cover will move around with the extra weight, but I didn’t have that problem. When I run, I sweat… a lot… And these runs were no exception. The Hoorag held up really well though, and at the end of the runs it was damp, but it actually seemed less damp than my skull caps normally do. I would attribute this to the lighter weight material. But it never felt particularly heavy or bothersome to me.
So, my last thoughts on the Hoorag is that it’s a great addition to your head-wear pile. I am already in to wearing skull caps/beanies over hats anyway, so I loved it. On the web site, there are a few other ways to wear it as well for more sun protection, so if you happen to ski, bike, or spend a lot of time outdoors, it can offer some cover for you neck as well. In comparing it to the various Under Armour Skull Caps that I have, I think it comes out favorably over the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen. It is probably about even with the latest gen skull caps. In that they are both a little looser, so they don’t press my ears so much. It definitely comes out ahead in the style department though. You can expect to see me at my next race (Brazen New Years Eve) proudly rocking my Hoorag. I may actually order a 2nd one depending on their new styles.