Homemade Huarache Sole Thickness

I'm getting ready to buy the materials to make my first huaraches, but it looks like I have several options for sole thickness (2mm, 3mm, 4mm). Plus I think I want to put some leather on them as well, which will make them a little thicker.

Any thoughts on what the "ideal" thickness is? I realize this is a personal preferance thing, but I'm curious to know what other peopel have experienced. I'd like them to be as thin as possible without being floppy and annoying.

I wear the 4mm only because

I wear the 4mm only because that was the thinnest Invisible Shoes has to offer. If I step on a sharp object, I feel it well enough. Then again, if I were barefoot, I might not even have stepped on it, since I would rely on my sense of sight more, which is a good thing. ;-)

I think if you go any thinner

I think if you go any thinner than 4mm it will get floppier. One thing you could try is 2mm sole and glue some suede from a craft store to give it a little thickness.

Mine are only about 1mm,

Mine are only about 1mm, leather with plastidip painted at the bottom. I found them sloppy the first few times but either they stiffenned or I changed my form so they don't slap. Now I have no complain about them

I want to get some Vibram material to make thicker ones (4mm) for really rough conditions but I'm afraid it will change my running form too much if I wear them for too long.

I have the 4MM Invisible Shoe

I have the 4MM Invisible Shoe and I like it. I just finished building a pair of 6MM as well, but I haven't ran with them yet. I intend to give them a shot on Sunday though.

Thanks for the imput,

Thanks for the imput, everyone! Hopefully I'll be able to order the materials tomorrow. Spring has definitely sprung and I really need to get out of my Biks before they start getting that smell everyone keeps warning about...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts