HM Training Update

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
This week concludes week 4 of my 12 week training plan for my half marathon. So far, so good - I am on schedule and running strong, easy, and without injury or abnormal aggravation! Where I did need improvement was adherence to my cross-training schedule. I had really only been doing about 1 day a week of swimming, and only about 30 minutes worth. This week I did 2 days, 35-40 minutes worth, and my goal is to continue to adhere to the 2 day a week minimum for swimming, and to increase the time to a full 45 minutes. I can manufacture a LOT of resistance in the water and have pretty much decided that deadweight-weightlifting, doesn't really need to happen until about a month before the half, only once a week, and only for added ease of running - it's not an injury prevention necessity like my swimming exercise routine is. I do not measure my pace, because I know that focusing on increasing my strength will naturally increase my pace. I am only needing one rest day per week, at this point. There are a handful of certain exercises I do almost every day, like reverse hyper-extensions, but I don't really count those as cross-training, they are just so I can get through my day without pain. I have decided that I definitely need to run with an electronic metronome during the race (which I have found come with ear-bud attachments!!!) in order to ensure I hold stable form throughout the race. I have not, yet decided what I will wear for footwear. Since I have figured out a good swim routine, my glutes and pelvis have become a lot stronger, which has really helped decrease the affects of my leg length discrepancy on flat surfaces - so I "may" be able to get away with something as simple as wool socks!

What half are you training for Jen? I've been kind out of the loop lately and struggling to find any time to be on here. Right now I probably should be trying to sleep as the baby girl is sleeping, but I am wide awake so trying to catch up a little. Anyhow, good luck!

Foot Traffic's Holiday Half on December 15th. I tried to convince Mike to join me, but he is a big wuss!!! :D

Reactions: migangelo
Uh, ya it's downtown, I don't remember the cost off the top of my head. Probably 40-50ish? I just did 2 runs this week, one 9 and one 10. I'm going to hold my weekly mileage at 20 miles a week and just start tipping each run, one mile, until I am doing one 13 miler and one 7 miler, and call it good. It's weird having to go back to training on PAVEMENT though! I still make sure one of my runs is NOT on pavement for cross-training purposes. The trail by my house has a lot of paved parts, but it is super erratic and gravelly and some dirt and enough variation that I'd call it more of a trail, than pavement -so one happens either there or on Wildwood.

Ah ok, cool. Sounds like you should do well on it. 40-50'ish sounds pretty reasonable. I have looked into other halfs and they were super (to poor me anyhow) expensive. May have to see if I can do this... I am also contemplating doing the Shamrock 15k too as well as the tough mudder in June.

Ah ok, cool. Sounds like you should do well on it. 40-50'ish sounds pretty reasonable. I have looked into other halfs and they were super (to poor me anyhow) expensive. May have to see if I can do this... I am also contemplating doing the Shamrock 15k too as well as the tough mudder in June.

I paid for it like at the beginning of summer, so who knows what it costs now!

tough mudders and others are expensive. they even charge spectators. should sign up for race the reaper. we have codes that should get us in for $40. maybe even less with teams.

Well, now that I have ran 39 miles in 7 days, I'm not "as" concerned about being able to run a half marathon. :eek: That being said, I just ran 10 miles on pavement with Janson and Jim. That was the longest I had ran on pavement (in socks). My joints didn't like it, much. But I was talking the whole time and had a lot of miles behind me by that point. And it was night. I KNOW my form sucked.

I am going to run 12ish, on pavement this coming Friday, with fewer miles behind me, with a metronome, and alone, and during the daylight. I "need" to at least go drive the 1/2 marathon course, too.

Only 34 more days til the half marathon! I only have 30 more days to do a 13.2 mile pavement run, and Friday might be it. Some people may be comfortable assuming they can run "a few more miles" for the race -but not me. I have to actually do it all BEFORE the actual half marathon!