High Blood pressure (temprorarily high)

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Lately (just in the last couple days) I have had quite a bit of very stressful stuff going on. I'll leave it at family problems for now. I've also not slept more than ~2hrs the last 3 nights in a row. I'm working through the weekend and we have one of those blood pressure machines. I generally run a little bit high, and been meaning to see a doctor about it for a while, but haven't. But with the recent events and feeling my heart just pounding I went to check it. I typically walk slow and calm to the machine, then set at least a minute. I sat for about 3 minutes today without moving then pressed the button.

I was at about 169/92-67bps (I typically average around 140/86-60, lately less than that). I'm hoping this will pass soon (hopefully the stress will pass soon), but who knows what will happen. I know I need to see a doctor but that might take some time (I don't even have one really, so have to figure that out) but what I was wondering is would it benefit me to do something temporary just while its spiked up high? Can I take some aspirin to help? How much? I'll be back into work tomorrow I can check it again.

Typically the diastolic or lower number does not fluctuate as much with stress as the systolic or upper number does. At 86 normally and into the 90's now it's time to see the doc and possibly start meds.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Here is my non-medical two cents. I was at a training on aging (I am a therapist) where one of the speakers was a psychiatrist with Vanderbilt. He mentioned that the effects of aspirin are so minimal, he no longer prescribes it to his older patients.

He also suggested Alteril (OTC SLEEP AID) over some of the other ones. Alteril is a natural approach.

On another note, I am sending you positive vibes for less stress.

Low dose aspirin is used as a "blood thinner" (decreased platelet aggregation) to prevent heart attacks, not to lower blood pressure.

I hope you find peace in your life, Tristan.

Thanks LB, OA, TJ... probably just a bit of overreaction - just never saw it that high before. I feel kind of silly now for posting this. But yeah LB the systolic# was much higher than its ever been but thats the less important one if I understand it correctly. However the diastolic was up a bit too, it used to be around there a couple years ago but lately has been even a couple lower than the 86 I mentioned (thats the calculated 2 yr average on my smartphone spreadsheet). In any case I need to find a doc, as much as I hate em (I don't handle needles and blood well, long story lol).

Low dose aspirin is used as a "blood thinner" (decreased platelet aggregation) to prevent heart attacks, not to lower blood pressure.
Ahh well you might be right there, I might have been jumping to the conclusion that it would reduce bp.

Here is my non-medical two cents. I was at a training on aging (I am a therapist) where one of the speakers was a psychiatrist with Vanderbilt. He mentioned that the effects of aspirin are so minimal, he no longer prescribes it to his older patients.

He also suggested Alteril (OTC SLEEP AID) over some of the other ones. Alteril is a natural approach.

On another note, I am sending you positive vibes for less stress.

It also must be one of those things that varies from doctor to doctor, my dads doc has him take a small amount of aspirin each day (I forget the exact amount). Heart issues do run in the family. :sour: Sleep aid sounds good right now lol, for the 4th night in a row I haven't got enough sleep. In fact last night was less than an hour. :dead: Work is going to be tough today, sitting in a chair for 12 hrs then the long ride home. But I am surprisingly alert and functional for the amount of sleep I have been getting(usually I drag worse on 5hrs of sleep)! I'm off all next week thankfully so I think I'll be able to catch up a little and sleep in (I sleep well once I finally fall asleep, but it takes so long that my 4AM alarm comes too quick).

You should be on low dose aspirin yourself, any male with any family history of heart disease should. There are many other health benefits as well, pretty much all male M.D.'s over thirty five- forty have put themselves on this regimen even without any family history..
81 mg aspirin is the recommended dose. All of those with the exception of children's chewables are enteric coated for absorption in the small intestine rather than stomach. Early in 2013 it was determined that the coating interferes with the desired effect, and the recommendation is now for non-coated. Aside from expensive flavored children's chews, the only way to get it is to cut a normal 325 mg aspirin into quarters. That's what I switched to, and it's incredibly cheap too!
As far as your blood pressure: If you reduce your diastolic b.p. to 80 using a simple med w/no real side affects, that's a 10 point reduction in the pressure in your vessels 24 hours a day. You will be saving your organs as well as arteries a lot of stress. I waited a long time watching it creep up trying to control it with exercise, relaxation, and diet. Nothing worked for me, you're probably in that same position.
Nobody likes seeing the doc, the only thing worse is having to go to the dentist!

Longboard is spot on with his observation about the diastolic needing to be lower. I tried for years to control blood pressure with diet and exercise. No matter what I did I could not get it down. I did not want to go onto medication. I had no problem making that decision after having a heart attack at age 45! I was very fit at the time - was getting up to go for a 4 mile run with my dogs. One of the main reasons I am able to keep so active is because of my fitness then. It may take some time to find the right medication or combination of medications - I take a beta blocker and a diuretic. Go see your doctor and don't take any chances.