Hi from the Westerwald, Germany!

tsdh

Barefooters
Feb 25, 2014
Vallendar, Germany
Hi all,

I started running (at least as a serious hobby) about a year ago, of course in high-tech shoes that I got advised in a running store (incl. video analysis etc.). When I did my military services 13 years ago, I ruptured my outer ligaments on my right ankle, and since then I've never become stable anymore (one further rupture, countless twists). So the shoes should help me with that. Oh, and additionally I have splayfeet.

After running a half-marathon on very coarse gravel which caused my right foot in its thick, large sole to twist around without me having any control, I couldn't even walk without pain for more than a month. During that period, I've read Born to Run and then tried out running in VFFs. That worked out much better, especially on rough surfaces. Twists simply didn't occur anymore whereas in regular shoes, when I felt that I twist it was already too late.

However, due to my slightly different large feet, VFF weren't really optimal for me either. I've read Ken Bob's Barefoot Running book and decided to go completely barefoot. However, when I'm new to something I'm overambitious and ran 6k the first day tearing off almost all skin on my soles. ;-)

Now that I'm (a few months) older and much wiser, I'm exclusively running in Luna huaraches (because my normal courses are 90% sharp, coarse gravel) and take them off for the few forest trail and asphalt passages. That works out fine so far.

I'm also trying to compete in every local competition just for the fun of doing it. It's awesome how many interest you create when running a race in sandals/bare feet. ;-)

For the coming spring, I've planned to get rid of shoes as much as possible especially in my non-running time, e.g., at work, shopping groceries, whatever.

What's a bit missing at the current point in time is other barefooters in my region. I don't know anyone (nor have I seen anyone in the wild), and the members map confirms that the nearest ones are too far away at least for regular meetups/runs, but I guess that will improve over time.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here to share experiences!

Bye,
Tassilo

Hi Tassilo,

im Westerwald, da pfeift der Wind so kalt :)

A warm welcome to you.
I am probably one of the closest BRS members to your place, as I live in Marburg/Lahn.
We have quite some barefoot running activities going on in Marburg in spring/summer.
Just check our Website (http://laufschule-marburg.de.vu) for it.

Maybe you would like to come to our Event at the International Barefoot Running Day, 4 May 2014? It will be announced at BRS soon.

Best regards, and keep on running (barefoot of course :) ),
Martin

Hi Martin,

yes, Marburg is about 120km from here, so if you are going to offer some nice barefooting event, I'll probably visit you. :)

While we're at it: is there a way to restrict the Events calendar to a given location? While I'd love to join Ken Bob's regular runs, that's still the other side of the globe... (Oh, and being able to integrate the [restricted] calendar in the google calendar would also be great.)

Cheers,
Tassilo

Reactions: Barefoot Mecki
Welcome!

Reactions: tsdh
Gruss Gott, Tassilo! Und wilkommen hier in BRS. I lived in Stuttgart for 2.5 years and absolutely loved it - it is my second home.

I live in North Carolina in the Eastern US now, which is also pretty nice. You have a great story, much like many of our stories: start out with too much too soon, hurt yourself, slow down a bit, then work into it gradually through trial and error. Keep making slow, gradual adjustments, and you'll be BF running all the time soon.

I also used to twist my ankle badly at least twice each year, usually putting me off running for 2 weeks each time. I have never twisted an ankle since going to BF or VFFs, which I use for longer, hotter, colder, or rougher runs as needed. I saw in another of your comments that you mentioned going farther BF when you don't go as fast. It is the same for me. If I go too fast, my running form gets sloppy and I start losing skin. But I like to go fast. I'm an old soldier also, and I've been running for 25 years. I hate having to slow down, but sometimes it is good for me to do anyway.

Glad you have joined us here. Enjoy, and breath some wunderbar Deutscher luft fuer mich!

Reactions: tsdh

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11