Help with motivation

Me, personally. I have alot

Me, personally. I have alot of stress in my life right now. This year has been a snowball of bad things happening. Running allows me to go into that peaceful world of mine and relax. It clears my thinking, and somehow being barefoot just seems to put a calm over me. Probably sounds insane, but it works for me. BFR allows me to breath better, focus, and enjoy life for the moment that I am running. If I did not run or do any exercise, I would probably not be in as good of a mood. It works for me, may work for you. I am not a long distance runner yet, but with practice I hope I can be. I have my 1st bf 5k in sight that I am training for and having goals stimulates the brain, and boosts my mentality.

I really can't say what

I really can't say what motivated me to run. Sometimes when I go for awhile not running I find it hard to get out the door but as soon as I do, I am again hooked. It seems the act of doing is very self motivating. there are also those days when I really don't want to run. I am sore, it is hot, it is cold, it is raining or whatever. Those days I put on my running pants and walk out the door and tell myself I will run around the block. It never fails to be a 3-5 mile trip around the block

The true champions are those that just do it regardless of how they feel. And I hate using the Nike Slogan but it applies

The long runs are the hard

The long runs are the hard ones for me. I'm not much of a planner so getting prepared for a long run is just dreadful. I like the spontaneity of just hitting the road without any thought.

Abide, maybe you need to look

Abide, maybe you need to look to your avatar/namesake for inspiration here? If you're not up for prepping for the long runs, maybe leave them out for now? Or leave out the prep, grab a handheld and go anyway?

Easy for me to say, I'm not training for anything specific and am free to run as much or as little as I like, and I never seem to get enough of it anymore!

read a running book or watch

read a running book or watch a documentary on running. that always makes me want to get out there. the most common source of motivation for me is just putting on the running shorts. once i get the gear on i instantly cant wait to get going even if up to that point i had zero desire to do it.

Any recomendations for a good

Any recomendations for a good doc/movie/book to watch or read?

Yeah I actually signed up to run a marathon in October so... good plan though, maybe I'll fool myself to plan to go 5 and just keep going.

spirit of the marathon is a

spirit of the marathon is a great one to watch. there is also one about the badwater ultra that is pretty good. for reads i liked ultramarthon man. little dramatic but still good. bart yasso's my life on the run is also a motivational read. there are countless one's out there that i have enjoyed reading and watching though so you're not really limited.

I loved "Run, Fat boy, Run."

I loved "Run, Fat boy, Run."

I also try to keep my

I also try to keep my motivation up by signing up for races, especially half and full marathons. Sometimes it helps to have a purpose for doing those long runs that you don't seem to like.

Another thing I do when I lack motivation is to change up something that I'm doing. Sometimes I buy a new piece of running gear. Or I find a new place to run. Or I get a group together for a group run. Just something to keep the activity changing. I'm more excited about something that I haven't done over and over.

I also agree with comments about motivational books. It's cheesy, but my biggest inspirational book is Born to Run. I've read it a dozen times, and when I'm feeling burnt out I'll read the chapters about the various ultrarunners covered in the book. Since these chapters describe ordinary people going out and doing extraordinary things, I think that I can go out and accomplish something too.

Thanks again for the tips

Thanks again for the tips everyone. I'm heading to the library today. The race thing used to work for me too, and I thought it would this time, but nothing so far. The group runs sound good too, I need some friends :)

Or maybe I just need to start a man up thread to make me quit whining.

Yeah "run fat boy run" is

Yeah "run fat boy run" is hilarious, it is one of my favorite movies. I liked "spirit of the marathon" too, actually I ran the Chicago marathon because of it.

When I get bored and lack

When I get bored and lack motivation, I like to free run...leave the watch at home, pick a new direction, and go explore. I will also pick a challenge like a new hill to climb, or a destination that so far away it seems crazy to run too, or run upstream in one of the local creeks. Anything that seems just a little bit nuts will help put the fun back into running for me. Thats part of the reason I run barefoot.

I like to watch this video

I like to watch this video sometimes before a run, mostly before a long run...shacky had posted this in the forum that shall not be named awhile back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_362jQVXK8k&feature=player_embedded

Try to find some new places to run, new trails are always cool to explore. Maybe go back to some basics, ditch the watch and run unplanned at all for pace, distance and time.

My son says I need to watch the fat boy movie...

Get a 5-year old and try some

Get a 5-year old and try some amateur parkour... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3jqGeoj47A

This is the feeling I'm going for personally. :)

(see some older more expert kids at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1141168420183820355# or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qhgIdP3l3I&feature=related )

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts